• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Design Your Own Brave

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fastandman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to the winners, those where some really good ideas and character establishment.
asdfkasjldkfjlsafd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
Megane Sawako-chan wrote:
I thought I submitted one but I never saw it. Now I'm questioning if I filled out the submission form correctly. Goldfish memory and all. Embarassed
Well, it's no biggie. I wasn't expecting to win anyway. I just wanted to participate. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Mine also never got posted. Considering how much time I put into mine and how much I rushed to get it done on time, it's kind of depressing that I didn't even get a chance to have everyone critique it.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
SirJonathanMP wrote:
I thought I submitted one but I never saw it. Now I'm questioning if I filled out the submission form correctly. Goldfish memory and all. Embarassed
Well, it's no biggie. I wasn't expecting to win anyway. I just wanted to participate. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Mine also never got posted. Considering how much time I put into mine and how much I rushed to get it done on time, it's kind of depressing that I didn't even get a chance to have everyone critique it.

I would say just post them here in the forum. But some people might think that is a bad idea. Also, mine got posted and I never had anyone critique it, unless ignoring it counts then we're both in the same boat.
Stubbenz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:36 am Reply with quote
zunderdog24 wrote:
SirJonathanMP wrote:

I would say just post them here in the forum. But some people might think that is a bad idea. Also, mine got posted and I never had anyone critique it, unless ignoring it counts then we're both in the same boat.

Yeah, after so many great entries we should be discussing and critiquing each other's work. There's no point having a forum if we don't make full use of it Very Happy

Yours was the Saint of Seeds entry right? I really liked the weapon and arm designs, and those are some fun and unique abilities. I especially like the phase ability; I can picture some amazing fights combining that with the absorb ability - being hurled into a cavern wall only to travel straight through it, emerging completely healed.

As for things that could be improved, I feel like her design doesn't really reflect the shy and clumsy personality you gave her. Her fringe hiding her eyes does kind of suit the description, but it doesn't look all the great and a boisterous mouth like that (can a mouth look boisterous?) takes away from any kind of "shy" appearance.

Still, it's a cool design. Nice work!
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:00 am Reply with quote
Stubbenz wrote:

Yours was the Saint of Seeds entry right? I really liked the weapon and arm designs, and those are some fun and unique abilities. I especially like the phase ability; I can picture some amazing fights combining that with the absorb ability - being hurled into a cavern wall only to travel straight through it, emerging completely healed.

As for things that could be improved, I feel like her design doesn't really reflect the shy and clumsy personality you gave her. Her fringe hiding her eyes does kind of suit the description, but it doesn't look all the great and a boisterous mouth like that (can a mouth look boisterous?) takes away from any kind of "shy" appearance.

Still, it's a cool design. Nice work!

First of all, ty for the feedback

Not really surprised the personality doesnt match considering im an idiot when it comes to giving characters life and I didn't want to change the design either so she got stuck like that. It doesnt help that I drew her 2 years ago and when this comp came up I got lazy and thought she was perfect for this wanted to put her to good use..... I regret not revamping her.

Now regarding the winners, im sad to see that none of my favorites made the list:
-Jin Artes
-Rosi Almahara
-Viola Alva
I absolutly love their design, their info..... good enough for me not to dislike them.

While I was looking through the submissions, a certain Rhona Midas caught my eye, when I went to see what her name was I saw a user name that looked familiar and to my surprise it was the person who just gave me feedback.
Now im not really good at this stuff so all I can say is that, First of all, considering I think the rokka universe looks (mayan/aztec) and how the first thing that comes to mind when I hear those words is gold, it didn't even occur to me there could be a saint of gold. Secondly, while reading her info I was thinking hey, she's pretty cool, and then I read that she manipulates people and puts friends against each other, and then I thought.... OMG..... she's a psycho.
I would start talking smack about your design but it would only be nitpicking and only relevant to me.
Megane Sawako-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
zunderdog24 wrote:

Also, mine got posted and I never had anyone critique it, unless ignoring it counts then we're both in the same boat.

Let’s see, yours was Saint of Seeds, Aella Martagon?
I thought her design was very practical with the pockets on her vest, which I assume she stores her seeds in. Her weapon is rather cool looking too. Since she loves flowers, I might incorporate that as part of her look. I didn’t notice at first but does she have tattoos? That’s interesting as well. She seems like a very outdoors-type of person so I might consider leaving her barefoot or leave her toes expose so she can feel the earth underneath her.
Having the ability to revive was an interesting choice and if she was part of the show, it could’ve been a real-game changer. Like if the traitor got her, everyone would’ve assumed she was gone but she’s secretly alive and working behind the scenes.
Megane Sawako-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
On Stubbenz’s Saint of Gold, Rhona Midas (great name, love the nod to mythology there).
Like how the gold is a part of her design, almost like armor. And I like the flexibility of her powers. I imagine the gold coiling around her would make for a very striking image.
Her personality kind of scares me though, xD. She’s very Queen Bee though that’s greatly due to her upbringing. But in a way, she’s just trying to protect herself so I can’t fault her too much.

Last edited by Megane Sawako-chan on Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
Megane Sawako-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
zunderdog24 wrote:
Now regarding the winners, im sad to see that none of my favorites made the list:
-Jin Artes
-Rosi Almahara
-Viola Alva
I absolutly love their design, their info..... good enough for me not to dislike them.

On Nikirou’s Jin Artes.
Love his design. The glowing scar and his face mask make him unique. I like how he’s boisterous but at the same time, he's a bit of a mystery.

On Risocaa’s Saint of Alchemy, Rosi Almahara.
Love her. The design is great and colorful. I think the power of alchemy is interesting, although given how the Rokka universe works, science doesn’t seem to be, what’s the word, valued? There seems to be a greater emphasis on magic. I mean there’s a Saint of Medicine I believe but it seems like people don’t care how something works, just that it does.

On Magical_ Yaku’s Saint of Wood, Viola Alva.
Oh my gosh, what a cutie! I also like how she can access a tree’s memories. If I had thought up a Saint of Wood, that detail would have totally slipped past me. Very nice entry.

Last edited by Megane Sawako-chan on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Megane Sawako-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Btw, I totally didn't notice there was a 4th batch of entries. How could I have miss that? It must've been Sunday's but I don't remember seeing it on the front page.

From the 4th Batch.
My favorite is Caity Rose’s Aryll. She’s just what I imagine a sylph to look like, very cute. I think most of the other wind users on the other entries favored bows, so having Aryll use a chain whip was rather refreshing. I also like how she cheerful and she has a sense of humor.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:19 am Reply with quote
Stubbenz wrote:

First of all I am very very sorry about posting this image and the size of it.....
Now, does her design match her personality now?

Stubbenz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:21 am Reply with quote
zunderdog24 wrote:
Stubbenz wrote:

First of all I am very very sorry about posting this image and the size of it.....

Definitely - that looks fantastic!
Megane Sawako-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:56 am Reply with quote
zunderdog24 wrote:

Oh, very nice update to her look. Yep, it gives a much better impression of her personality with her new facial expression and posture. Very cute!
But wow, did you draw this in just a day? I'm jealous. I'm a rather slow drawer myself so it takes me forever to finish just one drawing.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:03 am Reply with quote
Oh, very nice update to her look. Yep, it gives a much better impression of her personality with her new facial expression and posture. Very cute!
But wow, did you draw this in just a day? I'm jealous. I'm a rather slow drawer myself so it takes me forever to finish just one drawing.

Having something to work with makes things a lot easier.
Stubbenz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:08 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the critique megane and zunderdog - I was originally planning on making the character even more crazy than she already was, but after hearing these reactions I'm glad I didn't follow through with that idea Very Happy

That was my first time drawing anything other than a building in a couple of years and my first time using colour for a character design, so I was pretty happy with how it turned out.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:57 am Reply with quote
Stubbenz wrote:
Thanks for the critique megane and zunderdog - I was originally planning on making the character even more crazy than she already was, but after hearing these reactions I'm glad I didn't follow through with that idea Very Happy

Just curious, how were you going to make her more crazy?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5