• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Site has been veeeery slow for a long time.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
So I'm finally starting to get a bit irritated. ANN has been for at least the past 6 months (probably more) consistently slow for me. I don't have a problem like this with any other website really (well ok, Crunchyroll can take a while to load at times too). It takes ages to load pages. Since I haven't seen any major complaining here, I assume that the site works just fine for most. So what's up with this, I'd like to assume that the problem isn't with me. The site loads slow even on my school's computers.

I wouldn't even say that the site works fine usually. I encounter slow load times every day.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
The site has been slow for so long I've pretty much gotten used to it. It's only when the performance is especially anemic or buggy that I bother to complain.

The forums have very few ads on them and yet it still takes anywhere from four to eight seconds to load a page. Many other parts of the site work faster, even though they have more ads. Weird.

Anyway, upshot is, it isn't just you.
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
Strange. I logged out so that I wasn't on the fast server and tried browsing the main page normally and had no issues. I wouldn't call it snappy but it was certainly browsable.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:43 am Reply with quote
The site has usually been slow for me for at least several months.
The problem is not that a page is slow to load, but rather that it takes a long time for the page to start loading. The server seems to take a long time to process the request for the page. Or maybe Cloudflare is delaying it.

It is erratic and intermittent and mostly just a minor annoyance.

EDIT (about two hours later):
I do not know if it is related to the general slowness, but just a minute ago I got this error when trying to get to the encyclopedia audits:

"Error 504 Ray ID: 22b8254b06780962 • 2015-09-25 16:36:32 UTC
Gateway time-out"

I tried again just now and it worked fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Strange. I logged out so that I wasn't on the fast server and tried browsing the main page normally and had no issues. I wouldn't call it snappy but it was certainly browsable.

It isn't slow all the time. But pretty much daily I encounter terrible load times. It can take 10+ seconds to load a page sometimes.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I have been encountering the slowness since I logged on to the forums about five minutes ago.
Every page is taking 10 seconds, or more, to load. One took a little over 30 seconds, but that was by far the worst.

All other sites are working normally for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I am on the direct server (www.d.animenewsnetwork.com) right now because I have not been able to access the site through Cloudflare for about 20 minutes.
This is the error message:

Error 523 Ray ID: 2354f2307b4c094a • 2015-10-14 17:18:53 UTC
Origin is unreachable

And a minute or two later things are back to normal.

Last edited by Touma on Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
The site has been working fine for a couple weeks now aside from one or two of those weird Cloudflare error thingies. Not sure what happened, maybe ANN or Cloudflare updated their hardware or something.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Dan made a couple tweaks a while back, these may have had a direct impact on the performance you see on the site.

Chris
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1