• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Surveys Fans on Online Manga Downloads

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:36 am Reply with quote
This concept is targeted toward the ipod generation. Give me a good ol' fashioned book any day. But if it meant that I could read the next volume faster than two months, (like maybe the next click of the mouse) I could learn to adapt . Wink
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:38 am Reply with quote
Let's see if they can make it non-DRM'd.

Then I'll look more into it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:

Why would they do that if they want to sell it to you? They might provide a few preview pages like Dark Horse does, but Viz is giving nothing away.
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:10 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
SharinganEye wrote:

Why would they do that if they want to sell it to you? They might provide a few preview pages like Dark Horse does, but Viz is giving nothing away.
Huh?

Of course they're not. Why would they give away stuff for free? I'm the one paying money for it. But if I'm buying a title from them I don't want to be limited to, say, Windows Fax Viewer or a bad proprietary manga viewer.

If I get a volume, I want to be able to view it on my PC, PSP, and what else have you's.
geishageek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote
I agree with Mohawk52. I prefer having real books to just files on my pc. And the price would have to be right for me to view a volume online. I wouldn't pay 3.99 or something for a book that is going to cost me 9.99 anyway. But the being able to read it earlier part would be nice. Anything on the Shojo Beat line (which come out about 4 a year) would be great.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I voted for books strait down everytime that it was an available option. There is just something better about holding a book in your hand and scanning the art with your eyes from any angle you wish to. And if it was a good print run(most are these days from what I have seen) you almost feel the different strokes that the artist put into it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gary leeman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Books, hands down.
As much as I like new technologies, it is the tangible nature of a book which makes it worthy. I like bringing a manga onto the subway, and even though you can bring technology everywhere now as well, books dont run on batteries. Books go on shelves, and are part of a collection.
Hotaruzuki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I agree about the books vs. Downloads thing.

Besides what you guys said, books cant get lost if you lose/break your pone
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I'll go ahead and echo, Id much much rather have a book in my hands than look at scans on a computer screen. This is the main reason I never read scantilations.

Secondly, unlike DVDs, which can be fairly expensive, Mangas already pretty cheap. Wether Im paying $10 or a few dollars, its not much of a difference.

Overall, I'll definitely stick with books.
E-Arkham

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Actual books -- no contest. I would only be interested in downloads if they kept up with current releases in Japan, and would need to replace them with the actual books as they became available.

I'm not a technophobe by any means and very active online, but I absolutely detest the current trend of magazines moving to online-only formats. Dragon magazine, for example.

Kep
LilacShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'd also much rather read manga as a book than online. If I can read some kinda preview online for free, that's cool, but I don't really want to pay to download manga unless I have no other way. (I would hope that is never the case though.)
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
I agree with Mohawk52. I prefer having real books to just files on my pc.

Same, computers crash and people change them every so often. Books last way longer (my grandma had music books for over 100 years) than a file on a computer. Plus, it's nice to have when the power goes out, or when your on a long trip. It's easier to lug a book around than a laptop.

EDIT: if it's a series I just want to read then I'll save myself the $6, but if it's for keep then I'd prefer the book.
Rose Kitsune

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:47 am Reply with quote
If it was something like One Piece or Shaman King, where I enjoy the story but would never pay the full price for a book in any case, they may convince me to do that. But overall I would much rather read a book. There was even a study that I read saying that reading on a computer is actually more difficult than reading something on a piece of paper (it's easier to lose your place on a screen, etc.). I don't remember all of the details, but the gist I got from that article was that while digital books may be more convenient for some, it's just not as enjoyable.
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quote
Having the book in my hand is more comfortable. When reading scans on the computer screen sometimes I feel like I'm exerting a little more energy than I think I am.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see Viz actually take the fight to the scanlators and start releasing weekly Jump chapters through their own site. Anything else, who cares?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2