• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Design Your Own Brave

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stubbenz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:01 am Reply with quote
zunderdog24 wrote:
Stubbenz wrote:
Thanks for the critique megane and zunderdog - I was originally planning on making the character even more crazy than she already was, but after hearing these reactions I'm glad I didn't follow through with that idea Very Happy

Just curious, how were you going to make her more crazy?

I was thinking of going all the way with the Midas references and have her turn organic matter into gold rather than common metals. Combine that with a personality halfway between Yuno Gasai (Mirai Nikki) and Gilgamesh (Fate) and the results would have been ...interesting.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:09 am Reply with quote
Stubbenz wrote:
zunderdog24 wrote:
Stubbenz wrote:
Thanks for the critique megane and zunderdog - I was originally planning on making the character even more crazy than she already was, but after hearing these reactions I'm glad I didn't follow through with that idea Very Happy

I was thinking of going all the way with the Midas references and have her turn organic matter into gold rather than common metals. Combine that with a personality halfway between Yuno Gasai (Mirai Nikki) and Gilgamesh (Fate) and the results would have been ...interesting.

Took me a while to process what a yandare Gilgamesh would be like and it sounds like my type of girl. But, turning organic matter in metal... I don't think our characters would get along very well.
Stubbenz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:12 am Reply with quote
zunderdog24 wrote:
Stubbenz wrote:
zunderdog24 wrote:
Stubbenz wrote:

Took me a while to process what a yandare Gilgamesh would be like and it sounds like my type of girl. But, turning organic matter in metal... I don't think our characters would get along very well.

I imagine not, but I'm having a lot of fun imagining the results
Xhaikuu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:27 am Reply with quote
uhh i send my art to this contest however its say by sir jonathan and i dont understand it.
before i post it i wrote "by adrianna (xhaikuu)"
Question Crying or Very sad
asdfkasjldkfjlsafd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Xhaikuu wrote:
uhh i send my art to this contest however its say by sir jonathan and i don't understand it.
before i post it i wrote "by adrianna (xhaikuu)"
Question Crying or Very sad

Yeah, they used my name for yours, and they never even posted my image at all. I even posted at the time to bring attention to that fact, and they never responded to me at all. I'm kind of pissed off about that, frankly.
Megane Sawako-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
That really sucks about your entries, SirJonathanMP and Xhaikuu. I wonder why they didn’t catch it when you yourself brought up the inconsistency?

Btw, I went back and took a gander at the link you posted, SirJonathanMP. Not sure if you want it or not but here’s my thoughts on your Brave entry.

On SirJonathanMP’s Saint of Constellations, Oliviae Ratjar (wow, what a name!)
Very cool design. She’s like a Suikoden character. Love the details on her clothes and trident. Having the power to bind constellations to herself makes me wonder how each constellation would be interpreted. I imagine some might be enhancements while others might be summons. I also like how you gave her a place of origin, and that not only does she look confident but has the history to back it up.
Megane Sawako-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Stubbenz wrote:

Oh my! Shocked
Two of my favorite over-the-top characters combine into one! The thought of it is both awesome and scary! I love it!
Although I don't know how any of the other Braves would be able to handle that. That sort of personality could steal the show! Laughing
asdfkasjldkfjlsafd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Megane Sawako-chan wrote:
That really sucks about your entries, SirJonathanMP and Xhaikuu. I wonder why they didn’t catch it when you yourself brought up the inconsistency?

I don't know either. They must have been paying attention to the forum comments because they removed the two cheaters' entries after everyone pointed it out. So, I feel like they should've seen my complaint.

Also, thank you so much for your critique. I had to pull an all-nighter while I was finishing up the design, so by the time I was thinking up a name, I was feeling a little loopy and decided to go with a really dumb inside joke. And as for how the constellation "binding" would work, I was thinking something like:
    if she binds the attributes of Gemini, she may be able to create an illusory duplicate of herself,
    or if she binds the attributes of Ursa Major, she may gain temporary strength and skills as a sort of grappler,
    or if she binds the attributes of Perseus, she may gain intense combat techniques and fighting expertise

Another thing is that, since the setting for Rokka no Yuusha isn't necessarily the same Earth as ours, they could actually have some different constellations than we have, and their mythos could be all sorts of whacked out stuff inspired by centuries of oral tradition and spiritualism
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
Stubbenz wrote:

That'd be ridiculously overpowered though...and incredibly dangerous. I think the ability to turn other metals into gold would be fine enough. That's already a VERY potent ability if used intelligently. All swords are rendered useless against her due to gold's density and malleability. She can destroy buildings with metal inner reinforcement. She can nullify all metallic magnets. She can render your blood unable to carry oxygen. This is not to mention the ease at which she can sell off her transmuted gold.

By the way, there's a short-lived manga called Stealth Symphony where one character has the ability to turn his blood into gold if it's exposed to the air outside. This is his only ability, but the way he uses it makes him one of the most powerful characters in the series, above abilities like "can conjure up unlimited amounts of water" or "can instantly nullify any attack done to the user and counterattack with double force." I think it's worth a read if you want to have ideas about how transmutation into gold can be applied in combat.

The Fourth Kazekage in Naruto also uses gold as his weapon. He cannot transmute things into gold, but he has telekinetic control over gold dust, and, unlike most other examples of gold-based weaponry, uses it for its chemical properties (namely that it's dense, it's malleable, and it can conduct electricity very well).
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Stubbenz wrote:

That'd be ridiculously overpowered though...and incredibly dangerous. I think the ability to turn other metals into gold would be fine enough. That's already a VERY potent ability if used intelligently. All swords are rendered useless against her due to gold's density and malleability. She can destroy buildings with metal inner reinforcement. She can nullify all metallic magnets. She can render your blood unable to carry oxygen. This is not to mention the ease at which she can sell off her transmuted gold.

Why does this sound like the coolest power ever.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
Any power, as long as it does not inflict great harm to the user, can have spectacular uses as long as its user gives thought about how it can be used, and as long as there isn't a long list of pre-made restrictions arising from that kind of abuse.

In this case, the ability is to turn common metals into gold. Think about what common metals there are and what properties they have that people use them for. Then, imagine what would happen if those properties were to suddenly change into those of gold. That is the extent of this power. (As far as defining "common metals," there's iron, nickel, chromium, copper, titanium, uranium, mercury, sodium, magnesium, potassium, and cobalt, as well as their compounds and alloys. If we include weak metals, then aluminum, tin, silicon, bismuth, and lead would be included among them too. There are also metals that are seen every day but are not found in abundance though, such as tungsten, gallium, germanium, thorium, lanthanum, neodymium, and lithium, and their compounds and alloys. An example that might not immediately come to mind is white paint, which is predominantly titanium oxide, meaning she can ruin most white paints.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5