• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Ridiculous School Uniform Designs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
One Uniform design I found odd was School Rumble, the 4 way split of the shirt to partly cover the skirt is ..... unique.

zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I was just watching Stellvia the other month! I'd never seen it before but damn, yes, the guy's uniforms are the most distracting thing ever! Even more so than the ridiculous hair styles! It's like, it'd be undignified even for a onesee pair of pajamas (which is what they most reminded me of). And it's only the first years that have them, guys in older years have perfectly normal looking uniforms! And sure, maybe as a spacesuit design, it'd be barely passable, but they have separate spacesuits anyway, it's like it's just there to be ugly. And the girls' look so nice (by comparison), or at least "normal".
I think the jumpsuits in Venture Bros had more dignity and those were meant to look stupid.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:21 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Funny enough, when asked about Katsuragi's uniform and how her breasts stay he the developer just said that they just do.

But you're also right, Senran Kagura is meant to be a shameless fanservice machine so this sort of makes it understandable.

as the Producer would say

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

now that there is a serious gas. i definitely needed the laugh. but its only one girl in the series where the uniform is outrageous.

that's nothing compared to the other school uniforms from other fanserviced labeled series like tengo tenge or better, ikkitousen who have uniforms even more ridiculous and uber fanserviced than her's.

however i'm more surprised the uniforms from Pilot Candidate isnt on this list. would put them over tenchi muyo ai.

or at least the uniforms from war in geminar. their far more tacky than the ones from niseoki.

also how in the hell heaven canceler is on that poll? he SAVES lives. not eradicate them. and he's definitely mentally stable. Unlike Mayuri and the sewing life alchemist who rightfully deserves the top two. though stein is a toss up. sure he's nuts, but not completely mental like those two or his ex "GF"(in the anime version)/former nurse medusa. would definitely have her in that poll instead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:45 am Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
The hideous uniforms in Anti-Magic Academy featuring characters wearing belts around their ribcages was one of the reasons I dropped that show as quickly as I did (albeit just one of several reasons).

Also, Maid-Sama. I don't know who thought lime green blazers and plaid pants would make an attractive uniform for guys, but it looks like something straight out of the 1970s, and not in a good way.

I was thinking of Maid-sama! the second I read the Marmalade Boy entry. I love the series but good gawd those lime green uniforms were an eyesore. They could've gone with navy blue or black blazer, maroon pants/skirt and accents and called it a day no problem. (Hell, some Chinese schools actually have).

I never cared for the poofy-sleeves and pointy cuffs of Bakemonogatari girls' uniforms myself, or the red-and-green plaid bows and skirts of Chihayafuru's uniforms (Nothing against other plaid outfits in less clashing color schemes, or the shows themselves--of which I'm a big fan).
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:00 am Reply with quote
Is it weird I thought all those choices in the list doesn't seem bad to me?

If anything, I rather am fond of all of them. The jumpsuits in Stellvia was unique IMO.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:01 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
as the Producer would say
He has no shame and is fully aware of it. He always plays his ridiculous sexist opinions straight.

No mention of Highschool DxD? The uniforms highlight the figure and for some reason the character's nipples show through.

No Actually, I am... either? The uniform policy in that show is nonexistent.

I wouldn't say Takaki is a sexist. He never implies that sexual behavior is something that is to be asked of all girls. He also has a wife. And he's also making games with male character fanservice for female fans.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:40 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Speaking of Kill la Kill, a little-known fact is that Senketsu's casual design was borrowed from a 2007 OVA.

As I said earlier I thought it was styled more along the lines of Saki's uniform in Sukeban Deka, which seems a more likely antecedent for Kill la Kill thematically. There's also an explicit tribute to that show in first ED which parallels the first Sukeban Deka ED. Both have that characteristic red sash, too.

I'd link to the Sukeban Deka ED, but stupid Pony Canyon blocks all the Sukeban Deka videos at YouTube even that brief one. Like Sony they have absolutely no idea how marketing works. How can you get people to buy a product you won't let them see?
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
This is more about accessories than anything, but I felt the tiny string ties for the male uniforms in Rakudai Kishi are quite pointless. They're already wearing turtleneck shirts, which don't really go well with ties to begin with.
Other than that the rest of the uniforms are pretty OK.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Tbh, I actually liked the uniforms in Nisekoi. In fact, pointing out "fashion" in an anime isn't something I tend to do or even care to notice. (Except for when it comes off like tissue paper... then I usually facepalm and wonder why I'm still watching the show.)

However, when I saw the uniforms in Nisekoi for the first time, I thought to my self they actually looked kinda cool. That's not something I usually do. I just thought they stood out and I like how they look.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Takaki should be the god of sex by now. Valkyrie Drive delivered and went the extra mile for fanservice.

As for the comment on 11eye's outfits, that cracked me up.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
What has always bothered me is the way the boys wear their uniforms. If it is jacket and tie, most will be wearing a nice white shirt and properly tied tie. A couple will be wearing the tie pulled down a couple of inches and then there is at least one wearing a hoodie instead of a shirt and of course no tie. This can be seen in the Maid Sama picture above.

If the uniform is one with a high collar, some will wear the collar buttoned up, some will have the collar unbuttoned and one guy will have the whole thing undone showing a colored tee shirt underneath. In Fate Stay Night it is the hero.

I mean, we see the schools doing uniform inspection, we see teachers counseling students about their behavior. How does this stuff pass muster?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Thoses are no more ridiculus than Hatsune Miku's school uniform. There were two designs commissioned by Crypton from the mangaka Kei.

This was one had Miku in present day style, But Itoh went for the other one that Miku is now iconic for. His reason was "it just looked more futuristic, like she had somehow time traveled back to the present with a message that this would be the future of music. "

Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I was convinced I was going to see Vividred on this list.

While I can't bring any examples to mind, I've never liked the "herniated boob" uniforms where the outer part of the uniform sort of goes under and around

Yuri Fan wrote:
More like Schrödinger's bra. She's wearing one and not wearing one, until we remove her shirt, and then it is one or the other.

Yeah, I know it's an old joke. Bite me.

There's actually a Schrödinger's Pantsu tag on Pixiv. Saki characters are the poster children though..

On the subject of Pixiv mind, there's a great collection of real school uniforms rendered here: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=51851354
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking....the ridiculous easy-tear-apart uniforms from shows like Ikki Tousen and Master of Martial Hearts.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:15 am Reply with quote
[quote="yuna49"I'd link to the Sukeban Deka ED, but stupid Pony Canyon blocks all the Sukeban Deka videos at YouTube even that brief one. Like Sony they have absolutely no idea how marketing works. How can you get people to buy a product you won't let them see?[/quote]

My best guess is that they think that, by preventing people from being able to see their stuff, it gets people curious to see them and pay to be able to. That's how the music business worked for a long while (though with that, there's always broadcast radio).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5