• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kid's Anime Pretty Rhythm Strips Down Male Idols for New Movie

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
livinew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Bet BPO won't complain about this. Naked men appearing on screen. God forbid we see a girl in a gown though.
Veniamin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Isn't this a little sexist having men naked on screen?
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling that children are not who they are intending to make money off of this time
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Starting the article with "the kids" made the rest of it seem like a rather uncomfortable juxtaposition. I'm guessing they're going for a "pay to see it 5 times to get the full set!" thing?
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
We constantly see naked female characters everywhere, so why are people whining about seeing naked male characters? If you want real equality, you would be fine with both. Or complain about both, not just one. You can't be fine with one and then complain about the other.
Fabe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
{Edit: Simply quoting someone and then posting 1 emoticon as your post is not going to fly. We're lax on the one liner rule in the Talkback section as is. That however is simply not going to cut it. ~ Psycho 101}
livinew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
If you want real equality, you would be fine with both. Or complain about both, not just one. You can't be fine with one and then complain about the other.

Why are you telling us that? You should be directing that to BPO. They're fine with naked men appearing on screen apparently but not fine with a girl with a gown on (which, you know, doesn't count as nudity in the first place.)

I don't care if they show naked men or not, that isn't the point. It's BPO's double standard that concerns me. Like you said, complain about both not just one.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
We constantly see naked female characters everywhere, so why are people whining about seeing naked male characters? If you want real equality, you would be fine with both. Or complain about both, not just one. You can't be fine with one and then complain about the other.

Probably because its a kids anime.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

I see no problem with seeing more anime like Free! coming down the pipeline. However, this just comes off as a little unnerving because unlike stuff like Free!, Pretty Rhythm has a primarily kid audience from what I can tell.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Going as fas as to advertise such inappropriate things and say it's for the kids!? That is ridiculous, seriously who on earth would let children watch such a thing!? Did all of the age restrictions go upside down? Well I guess this kind of show will make the kids t.v channel go out of business. Confused
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

I see no problem with seeing more anime like Free! coming down the pipeline. However, this just comes off as a little unnerving because unlike stuff like Free!, Pretty Rhythm has a primarily kid audience from what I can tell.

Exactly, the original is targeted towards little girls which makes the spinoff being promoted with naked guys more than a little unsettling. Obviously this movie is aiming higher, but it's an unusual way to expand the brand.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
This is quite an interesting take on this film of Pretty Rhythm. I wonder how this scene will affect it.

I just hope that if it's being shown publicly in theaters, there won't be any controversy going around...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
You need to lay off the anti-fanservic soap boxing Exalted Incarnate. You've made your views on fan service well known in plenty of threads. At this point you're just going into threads that are related to fanservice in some capacity to simply soap box your views. If you have nothing of actual value to add to a conversation beyond your anti-fanservice soap boxing then don't post at all. This latest post of yours was allowed to make it clear that any further soap boxing rant posts, such as yours here, will not be approved by moderators and simply trashed. Thank you.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:55 pm Reply with quote
And the original fans of Pretty Rhythm (aka not the fujoshi who started watching from the middle of the third season because of Kakihara and Maeno and don't really care about the show itself) are not happy about this. We got one movie with the girls, but it was a clip show. To have a franchise trying to teach girls about friendship and following dreams and love sexualized like this is really sad.

As a long-time fan who has gone to pretty much all the events and followed the show since day 1, it is a disappointment to say the least. Anime hyper
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Why are they doing things like this in a show that's aimed for kids? It's like they're trying to get the next generation of children horny for idols at as early an age as they can. And how frustrated are Japanese women that they'd be attracted to this sort of sexually provocative imagery from a children's show? Or are the studios just so keen to make bank that they're willing to twist anything they can into otaku bait? It's disgusting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3