• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Ridiculous School Uniform Designs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:56 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I was convinced I was going to see Vividred on this list.
Ahh Seifuku and hot pants. I kind of like that look. I also like the Yuru Yuri uniforms. I mean they are strange and it took me a long time to figure out how they work but I think the girls look cute in them. I also like the 11eyes ones, though they do seem like a pain to put on. The Nisekoi ones are a bit too much though. The basic design is decent but that tie is way too long. I just want to yank it off. I don't like the guys uniforms from Chaos;Head. Like the Maid Sama ones I can't stand plaid pants. When I first saw the protagonist in Chaos I thought he was wearing pajamas but lo and behold that's his uniform. I also don't really like ridiculously long skirts. The Otoboku ones are nice but Anna's skirt in Shimoneta practically touches her shoes. (Of course it fits with Anna's conservative and pure image, so it makes sense.)
Sparvid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:15 am Reply with quote
I like the Yuru Yuri uniforms partly because they're such an unusual design.

Although there was that one time at a Yuru Yuri event where Minami Tsuda complained that the uniforms weren't particularly comfortable when worn outside in cold weather Laughing
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Well, Chopper did kill his mentor by accident. Maybe some people haven't forgiven him for that.

But how can you hate chopper he's cute, snugly, & gets embarrassed when he's complimented.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:24 am Reply with quote
I do wonder about some of the results on that doctor poll.

I mean Chopper? Really? What is this discrimination based on species? Guy may be a reindeer, but he's still a good doctor. Heck, I'd probably be fine with tossing my actual family doctor for him, actually seems like he gives a damn...

I think Stein being third is a bit insane. Yeah, the guy has issues. Oh, boy he has issues. But, he is actually a good doctor. Unlike some other guys on that list, he'll probably do a really good job keeping you alive. There may be side issues you aren't a fan of, but at least you won't be dead.

I'm not sure how Takano wasn't at least top 3 here. First, I have my issues with her medical abilities in general. She's more of a psychotic researcher anyways. She probably couldn't actually perform a well done surgery. Plus I have my issues trusting a genocidal maniac with a god complex.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
My best guess is that they think that, by preventing people from being able to see their stuff, it gets people curious to see them and pay to be able to. That's how the music business worked for a long while (though with that, there's always broadcast radio).

I'm sure that's how they think, but it makes absolutely no sense nowadays. I can see enforcing rights against entire episodes uploaded to YouTube, but not when it comes to trailers and OP/ED songs. Those songs are 1:30 abridgements of the complete works. Would someone who really wants the song be satisfied with the shortened version? I doubt it.

Radio airplay was the "try-before-you-buy" equivalent in an older time. Even then people who had the ambition could record songs off the radio rather than buying the physical albums. When I was growing up some radio stations collaborated with tapers by playing whole albums on the air. YouTube is the modern-day equivalent of airplay just with video added in.

Now I could understand efforts like these if it were actually possible to enforce rights in the Internet age. It's not. I know where I can watch complete copies of Sukeban Deka and the songs and download them as well. Companies like Pony Canyon are deluding themselves if they think YouTube blocking accomplishes much in the way of rights enforcement. Surprisingly when it comes to physical media PC is following the lead of Aniplex (Sony) with high prices designed to extract the most revenue from people willing to pay and accepting the fact that there's a large number of people who will watch their shows but never pay a dime for a DVD or BD release.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
Kind of makes me think about how VCRs could record TV episodes or movies, and the MPAA got really upset over that. I wonder if there was any sort of legal battle the RIAA took with those recording devices.

In any case, these record labels will enforce 6-second clips, let alone 90-second cuts. They don't want people hearing ANY of it that wasn't paid for. Heck, I remember reading about how Warner Bros. had to pay to play 1.5 seconds of the rap song "Big Ball" for Osmosis Jones. (I don't know if you pay less to have shortened versions rather than the full song, but that's besides the discussion here.) I'm sure that, ideally, these record companies would not let you hear their music at all and would require you to pay every time you heard it (kind of the equivalent of those "$1 to see the giant snake" tents at county fairs).

Does the Japanese music industry not have an equivalent to iTunes or similar services, where you pay a small amount of money to obtain single songs? That business model seems to have allowed the music industry in the United States to not only survive what could've been a disastrous crash in the 00's, but thrive since. (That being said, Ed Robertson of The Barenaked Ladies does point out that the number of sales for a song to be considered a hit nowadays is a lot smaller than it was before digitally-obtained music became popular.)
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Kind of makes me think about how VCRs could record TV episodes or movies, and the MPAA got really upset over that. I wonder if there was any sort of legal battle the RIAA took with those recording devices.

Ironic, isn't it?

Quote:
Warner Bros. had to pay to play 1.5 seconds of the rap song "Big Ball" for Osmosis Jones.

People have forgotten (or record labels have obfuscated the truth) that copyright mas made with the intention of preventing others from profiting from the intellectual property of others, which is the case you mention (Osmosis Jones was created with the intention of reaping profits), which is a very different from viewing/hearing something in youtube (or even downloading it from the net, there are studies that show that people that pirate are the biggest buyers of said merchandise, so it is publicity at the end of the day).
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

There was. PM me if you want to know more. I studied this stuff as part of my degree.

Quote:
Does the Japanese music industry not have an equivalent to iTunes or similar services, where you pay a small amount of money to obtain single songs? That business model seems to have allowed the music industry in the United States to not only survive what could've been a disastrous crash in the 00's, but thrive since. (That being said, Ed Robertson of The Barenaked Ladies does point out that the number of sales for a song to be considered a hit nowadays is a lot smaller than it was before digitally-obtained music became popular.)

iTunes does exist in Japan, but to cut a long story short, it's in Sony's best interests to keep the CD market going (they are the number 1 maker of CD players...) so they have tried and succeeded far more than in the West. Again, PM if you want the gory details.
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:09 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Ironic, isn't it?

Quote:
Warner Bros. had to pay to play 1.5 seconds of the rap song "Big Ball" for Osmosis Jones.

People have forgotten (or record labels have obfuscated the truth) that copyright mas made with the intention of preventing others from profiting from the intellectual property of others, which is the case you mention (Osmosis Jones was created with the intention of reaping profits), which is a very different from viewing/hearing something in youtube (or even downloading it from the net, there are studies that show that people that pirate are the biggest buyers of said merchandise, so it is publicity at the end of the day).
You really think those people aren't making a profit? Youtube videos can have ads, which are a source of income. And a lot of other forms of piracy like manga scanlation sites are quite blatantly done with ad money in mind
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Aaronrules380 wrote:
You really think those people aren't making a profit?

Most of the time they do not, where they do lawyers might descend upon them like hungry vultures.

Quote:
Youtube videos can have ads, which are a source of income.

"Can" is different from "must" or "most of the time". Even those attempting to monetize youtube never reach the $100 minimum needed to "cash your check" and giving your credit card information to blatantly profit from other people intellectual property is all shades to dumb if you ask me.

Quote:
And a lot of other forms of piracy like manga scanlation sites are quite blatantly done with ad money in mind

Again, manga scanlators as well as fansubers are not in for the money, there are websites that (ironically) rip of their work and do monetize, but as soon as a legal option appears they tend to disappear.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:20 am Reply with quote
Hmm, it always felt to me as if most people on YouTube, when given an invitation to monetize their videos, do so. I've refused every such offer (I've been asked at least three times) because I don't want to plunge myself into potential trouble putting up game footage with in-game music in them. Nearly every company I've uploaded game footage of has had ads placed on them by that company, and games like Samba de Amigo have portions that can't be uploaded onto YouTube at all because they invoke automatic video takedowns and instant bans due to their use of licensed music. (This even bleeds into Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, the game where I got my first Content ID matches due to the song "Bum Bum" playing in some of the Amigo racetracks.)
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:42 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I wonder if there was any sort of legal battle the RIAA took with those recording devices.

The RIAA wasn't as concerned with VCRs as with advances in consumer digital recording technologies. Look at the history of digital audio tape and the passage of the Audio Home Recording Act in 1992.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I think another fun one might be "worst mecha pilot outfits", although we all know that Betterman would have to win hands down, but that's ok! I'd like to see the other ones (seriously, it's like they're wearing censor bars in clothing form)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5