• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is Japan Over-Reacting To Ai Takabe's Arrest?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
The answer should have been, "Yes, they're being terrible." Would have saved space.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Interesting read. I do think it a bit silly for everyone in the media to be expected to be role models, and to pull products they are in. I mean you may as well still have it for sale to make money off of the work you invested in. They're people, they make mistakes, and you can separate them from the art that they make. Hopefully this doesn't ruin her whole life.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
And didn't Studio Ghibli eventually put On Your Mark on disk after all, even after Chage & Asuka's (eek!) drug arrest?
So there may be some period of amnesty in play.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
The problem with putting people on a pedestal is that they rarely hold still, they wander around and invariably they fall off.

My Kill Me Baby set from Sentai is on the shelf behind me, I just may pull it out and fire up the subtitled version solely to hear Agiri's voice again.

Here's hoping that she survives the fall and can put her life back together again.

Mark Gosdin
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Here's hoping that she survives the fall and can put her life back together again.

I completely agree since error is human afterall
MohaCario

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Hideki Taniuchi.... Crying or Very sad
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I can understand opting not to work with somebody with a tarnished image, especially since it can give the impression that the employer is indifferent towards criminal conduct. However, pulling things of the shelves or websites is going overboard. It's not like anything about the work they did before changes, and it seems disingenuous to pull somebody's music off the shelves out of public image concerns, only to put it back later in order to keep making money off it after people have forgotten what happened.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
On one hand, the purity culture in Japan can seem a bit unforgiving and their drug laws perhaps a bit harsh. On the other hand, I wonder about America and how it's probably not good that our culture gives fame and elevated celebrity status to people who do some extreme things. A middle ground would be nice.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
This reminded me of a ablog post about the Noriko Sakai case, which questions this practice and the mentality that the Japanese public would be as outraged as the record companies and agencies would assume:
http://neojaponisme.com/2009/11/16/sakai-noriko-and-japanese-morality/
Quote:
So when Sakai Noriko was arrested for amphetamines in August, her record label Victor Entertainment — as is the convention — took all of her albums out of distribution. And in this digital age, Victor also had to remove all her songs from iTunes. But here’s where the label messed up: they forgot to remove Sakai songs that showed up on compilation albums.

Horror! There were free-floating Nori-P songs out there on iTunes. Surely the Japanese people — who we are told again and again have a low moral tolerance for drug use — rose up in outrage against Victor, Apple, and Sakai for the oversight. Or maybe in more predictable Japanese style, everyone just ignored these offending tracks.

Actually, that’s not what happened at all: Sakai’s 1995 hit “Blue Rabbit” (「青いウサギ」) was the number one song on iTunes for the week.

If anything, this proves the old adage that “all publicity is good publicity.” Surely the arrest made a lot of casual fans think about Sakai for the first time in years. They thought, “You know what I want to hear? ‘Blue Rabbit.'” So they went to iTunes and bought it. There was likely nothing particularly complicated about their motivations.
xchampion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I think if you are in the public eye then you should be held to a higher standard. I actually like that companies do this in japan. They care more about someones character then making money. I think american companies can learn a lot about these incidents. She committed a crime and now she must deal with the affects of it. I think these companies handle it the right way and I applaud them. Imagine what american artists would learn if american companies did this to them. Oh wait they wont because its all about the money. In America you can have mulitple DUIs and still make millions of dollars as a singer or actor in America but the Japanese want nothing to do with that and I like it.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
On one hand, the purity culture in Japan can seem a bit unforgiving and their drug laws perhaps a bit harsh.

You ain't seen nothing yet. As I posted in the previous thread, in Singapore, you get the death penalty for drug trafficking. If you possess over a certain amount of drugs, trafficking will be the assumed intent unless proven otherwise.

Well, the sale of chewing gum in Singapore is also illegal, so yeah. Draconian? Maybe so. But spitting and sticking gum everywhere in public was literally wrecking the infrastructure of the country.

Also, this idea of not being able to separate a voice actor from the work has been previously discussed.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Ai might recover soon enough if the charges stay as drug posession like the others and gets clean, if not then it's over. The only reason Aska probably didn't recover is his age, the other people are young or not too old.
maoyen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
They have meth in Japan Confused
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
maoyen wrote:
They have meth in Japan Confused

Meth can be made anywhere and pure pseudoephedrine used in meth usually comes from Asia.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, as Actar said, she could be way worse off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4