• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Virus Buster Serge to Run on Sci Fi Channel in October

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quote
Tokko sucks...This doesn't look too promising, either. Sci-Fi's entire lineup is not at all interesting to me.

Too bad, but I'm just not into shows like that.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quote
Well, Tokko is okay...but I don't think that I'm going to continue watching Sci-Fi's Ani-Monday after it's taken off the air.

Actually, what Sci-Fi has offered so far, really hasn't interested me all that much now that I've seen them.

Maybe the next go around will be better.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:41 am Reply with quote
Well Noein is the gem of the line-up anyway, Tokko is okay, it's not a turn on your brain type anime by any stretch of the imagination. But it has some good action, and is fun to watch, and even has some laugh out loud moments(chief cracks me up among some others, I am watching the DVD version).

I am kinda glad Virus Buster Serge is coming on though. I didn't want to buy it, and I didn't even want to rent it, but I did want to check it out. So for this particular show it all works out then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:42 am Reply with quote
I'm rather fond of Tokko and I've been enjoying Noein as well. Although they are not the pinacle of anime greatness, this is a new block and it should be given some consideration that Sci-Fi probably wasn't willing to just go out and spend maximum funds. As time goes on, much like with [adult swim], the shows they offer will be bigger and of higher quality. (Again, not that I personally dislike what they've been showing.)

Besides, if you're going to up late anyway, why not check out whatever they have on and then you'll know for sure whether or not you like it. If they're going to offer you the chance to test it, you might as well take the opportunity.
Roy9076

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote
Heh, a reasonable replacement. So far, liking Ani-Monday, but the movies are something to behold. Still waiting on Ghost in the Shell movie!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Roy9076 wrote:
Still waiting on Ghost in the Shell movie!
If you are talking about the original movie I think it will be hard to justify showing that much tits on a Monday, so if they did it would be heavily edited I think.

If your talking about the Solid State Society movie then they already showed it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ultrapostman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
We know that Sci Fi will show the Ninja Scroll movie, and they'll probably show the Read or Die OVA since they have commercials with it. What's bothering me is what are they going to show after Noein and Virus Buster Serge are over? I browsed through the Manga Entertainment list here, and they don't have many more tv series besides Tactics and Fist of the North Star. Could it be that, if the Ani-Monday block is able to maintain good ratings until Sci-Fi runs out of new programming, that Sci-Fi would then be able to negotiate better with another company. Personally, I hope that Sci-Fi succeeds, because in the end it means more anime on tv and a little healthy competition for AS.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:15 pm Reply with quote
ultrapostman wrote:
Could it be that, if the Ani-Monday block is able to maintain good ratings until Sci-Fi runs out of new programming, that Sci-Fi would then be able to negotiate better with another company. Personally, I hope that Sci-Fi succeeds, because in the end it means more anime on tv and a little healthy competition for AS.
Hopefully, they weren't planning to only do Manga titles. (If they were, they better be paying them a lot of cash so they can go and license more shows.) My guess is, they will eventually branch out and show series from other companies that [adult swim] won't or that are just cheap and easy to get. Personally, I hope they'll put on a few of Geneon's recent releases, as that would be a perfect way to boost sales for shows that haven't be doing as well as they might otherwise.

Of course, I've been shocked for a while that more of Geneon's series don't get on TV to begin with. Shana, Fate, and several other recent series would be great on the TV. I like Funimation series, but there are plenty of series that are better than Trinity Blood. (I actually liked TB okay, but it's not really that good.)

Anyway, forgot to say before that I will check out Virus Buster Serge when it starts up. I'm not sure what my feelings on it will be, but I'd like to give it a shot.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Here's a thing about broadcasting Geneon titles on TV that I've noticed. They tend to not show all of the episodes unless their corresponding DVD releases get released first. I remember awhile back when Adult Swim first showed the first 12 episodes of Samurai Champloo, and then it went on hiatus because it caught up to the DVD releases.

It's kind of weird since I would have figured you would show the series FIRST on TV, and then have the viewers buy the DVDs of it in the long run. Rolling Eyes
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Eh. I read the summary and it doesn't sound that interesting to me. Tokko looked promising but I got bored.
scortia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I was just disturbed as I scrolled through the guide for tonight to see that Noein is coming on Sci-Fi after 2 hours of WWE. From wrestling to quantum physics insanity... interesting. O_o

Noein is the only anime title I'm interested in on Sci-Fi still... they may surpass the dvd releases before they're all out at this rate... well maybe not, I think they're on the final volume now.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I'll watch it. It's anime, it's free, why not. If it's not my thing I can always delete it from my timer but it's a short series so I'll probably stick it out even if I wind up hating it.

Richard J. wrote:
I'm rather fond of Tokko and I've been enjoying Noein as well. Although they are not the pinacle of anime greatness, this is a new block and it should be given some consideration that Sci-Fi probably wasn't willing to just go out and spend maximum funds. As time goes on, much like with [adult swim], the shows they offer will be bigger and of higher quality. (Again, not that I personally dislike what they've been showing.)

Sci-Fi only has a deal with Manga Entertainment at the moment. They can only show series of Manga's until their deal ends. If you're familiar with Manga's anime licenses, their pool of shows is rapidly decreasing already. They've always been more of a movie/OVA company. However, if the block bombs in the end I doubt they'll seek deals with other companies.

darkchibi07 wrote:
Here's a thing about broadcasting Geneon titles on TV that I've noticed. They tend to not show all of the episodes unless their corresponding DVD releases get released first. I remember awhile back when Adult Swim first showed the first 12 episodes of Samurai Champloo, and then it went on hiatus because it caught up to the DVD releases.

It's kind of weird since I would have figured you would show the series FIRST on TV, and then have the viewers buy the DVDs of it in the long run. Rolling Eyes

And what does Geneon have to do with anything? Virus Buster has been out on DVD since 2003, 4 years ago. That was before anime was really big on adult swim even.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quote
scortia wrote:
Noein is the only anime title I'm interested in on Sci-Fi still... they may surpass the dvd releases before they're all out at this rate... well maybe not, I think they're on the final volume now.

Not likely, Noein DVD 5 comes out Sep 18th. They will be finishing up DVD 2 tonight. Although there is allways marathons, but that isn't very likely either. Although it does seem to be the season for them. Confused
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:21 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:

darkchibi07 wrote:

And what does Geneon have to do with anything? Virus Buster has been out on DVD since 2003, 4 years ago. That was before anime was really big on adult swim even.

Sorry, I forgot to quote this off:

Richard J. wrote:

Of course, I've been shocked for a while that more of Geneon's series don't get on TV to begin with. Shana, Fate, and several other recent series would be great on the TV.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:10 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
Sci-Fi only has a deal with Manga Entertainment at the moment. They can only show series of Manga's until their deal ends. If you're familiar with Manga's anime licenses, their pool of shows is rapidly decreasing already. They've always been more of a movie/OVA company. However, if the block bombs in the end I doubt they'll seek deals with other companies.
While I haven't personally spoken with anyone in a position to give official statements, I've read comments from various sources that Sci-Fi has so far been pleased with the numbers they've gotten. Maybe they've gone bad since those positive feelings, but I think there's enough sheer curiousity and "hmm, I'd like to try something different" vibes out there to keep the block doing fine.

I figured they had a deal with Manga (it's kind of obvious) but they won't stick with an exclusive deal forever. When the time comes to move beyond the limits of a single group, which is probably quite happy to have gotten the money from the deal and the improved DVD sales that TV exposure often brings, I'd like to see them license something from Geneon if that's possible. (I'd faint with glee if they put Shana or Rozen Maiden on TV, since Shana is a personal favorite and RM could use the sales boost.)

If they were to have something like Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha on TV, that might actually fry my brain completely. (Damn I wish Geneon would let some info slip on this one. I haven't been so excited since Haruhi! Anime catgrin )

I think Geneon suffered a major blow when G4 in the US stopped showing anime. They could use a break given recent developments.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2