• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ain't Afraid of No Ghost

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
damn, Randall! that's insane.

i've been watching Cat's Eye on Imaginasian over the summer. i don't know why, but i just love the art in this series. i mean the plot's pretty typical stuff, but it's got some of the most well drawn characters i've ever seen. does anyone know if City Hunter's any good? i've been meaning to check it out, as it's by the same guy.
Faceman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
In the teaser for the article on the right navigation column, looks like your line breaks need to be fixed, have extra "br" displaying on each line.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I am awed by Randall's collection, especially the PSME LDs. TOO AWESOME.

Mushi-Shi is the first Vol. 1 + box that I've bought since Eva Platinum came out and I love it to death. The production values alone are impressive, but everything--the direction, story, etc, are the best I've seen for a TV anime in quite a while. It's nice to have some DVD extras every once in a while that include more than "textless opening" as well. Needless to say, I'm pleased to see it's in Shelf Worthy.

I didn't even know Ping Pong had a US release! And I call myself a Taiyo Matsumoto fan... for shame, Cloe. I have to go and get this now. It'll be a great edition to my "Matsumoto movie collection" (which now only consists of Blue Spring, but will also include the soon-to-be-released Tekkonkinkreet shortly).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE Shounen Onmyouji! I have the first volume! I'm gonna get the next one when that comes out!
roujin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
ah, Ping Pong! It opened my eyes to the wonderful Kubozuka Yosuke (who will always be my fave Japanese actor) and the amazing music of Supercar. Definitely one of the better manga adaptations I've ever seen.

Man, Randall's collection is very impressive though I probably wouldn't dare to do away with the cases since that's one of the things I'm paying for.

Last edited by roujin on Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:40 pm Reply with quote
In case ImaginAsian's reading this-

1- There's no option for Canada in the checkout for your titles, despite the FAQ saying you do ship to Canada. There is a Province/State option, so I'm guessing someone messed up......

2- Can us technology wary fans pay via Money Order?
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
1- There's no option for Canada in the checkout for your titles, despite the FAQ saying you do ship to Canada. There is a Province/State option, so I'm guessing someone messed up......

I recommend you buy through Right Stuf. They take money orders too!
trandraskell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I cannot wait to get Cat's Eye, I have been waiting years for it get a US release and on top it get a great review, If you guys haven't seen City Hunter it is great and Hard to get here due to ADV lost alot of the title all they have is the first season and part of the second and it is getting hard to find I had to flop done over sixty dollars for the one boxset due it being out of print and I still need to get City Hunter 91, but is a great series. Any How I agree I have seen Mushishi and it is slow, but the differant mushi are internsting, Time for me to stack up more to my already 700 disc anime collection. Cool
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Impressive Randall! I wonder, did you start out thowing away cases, and if not, at what point did you decide enough is enough?

I am jealous that Shelf Life now has two ImaginAsian titles reviewed. Sad

Mushishi is in one word beautiful. But I agree it isn't for everyone, but it is worthy of shelf space.

And I think the reason there have been no perishable items lately is that Bamboo has been slacking off on her hentai viewership! Razz There has been a ton released lately and it can't all be good!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Heads-up: The link for "Set 9" of the DVD collections goes to set 1, though you can still change the number to 9 in the URL to get the right image.
Quote:
To give you a sense of how old school this series is, I'm currently watching three women in unitards roller skate through an alley, being chased by the fuzz. These women, who pull off heists under the name Cat's Eye (and also run a coffee shop with the same moniker)
I think I saw an episode of Girls Bravo where the gang films a movie featuring Miharu, Koyomi, and Kirie pulling heists as phantom thieves by night and running a bar/coffee shop by day. Coincidence? Intentional?

And Mushishi looks wonderful from the first two episodes...this is one that I've got to keep collecting no matter what debt I incur. Ping-Pong Club...well, I saw a few episodes of the anime version and ran away screaming, but it seems the live-action takes a different approach.

Maybe there's no Perishables because we haven't been getting any somewhat-entertaining-yet-dumb fanservice series released lately, like Yumeria, Daphne in the Brilliant Blue, or Green Green.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Ping-Pong Club...well, I saw a few episodes of the anime version and ran away screaming, but it seems the live-action takes a different approach.

Apples and oranges. You're thinking of this, which I guess was based on a manga by Minoru Furuya. The live-action Ping Pong film is an adaptation of a manga of the same name by the brilliant Taiyo Mastumoto (No. 5, Tekkonkinkreet, Blue Spring, etc).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

And I think the reason there have been no perishable items lately is that Bamboo has been slacking off on her hentai viewership! Razz There has been a ton released lately and it can't all be good!

Unfortunately, I stopped reviewing hentai a while ago. It makes me sad sometimes, because there was always something beautiful about opening a box and seeing veiny font and people screaming on the cover.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Although I understand WHY Randall threw out his DVD boxes, I just couldn't do it. Maybe that's why my anime collection is in three separate rooms and has begun to run into my bar, but still. . . Everything looks nicely organized and pretty though.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Paploo wrote:

I recommend you buy through Right Stuf. They take money orders too!

But RightStuf needs you to send CC-info via fax...... any chance of any Canadian retailers carrying them?

Or having them made available via DiamondComics Distributors?
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Awesome Randall- I couldn't do what you do. Awesome tv too!
Cats Eye looks awesome I might pick that up.

I might edit this post later- I'm not able to form my words correctly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4