• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Conflicting Official Info

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
After seeing this thread, I went looking to see how other shows had titles listed, and decided to look at Log Horizon, which I was pretty sure had all the info for the titles. It did, but then I noticed that a couple episodes have multiple titles. I haven't confirmed them yet, but I believe some of these may come from differences in translation between Crunchyroll's [official] subs, and Sentai's [official] subs.

And then I thought about how titles aren't the only thing where translations/transliterations/romanicizations differ. For the Marathon, I'm rewatching Sunday Without God. Crunchy's [official] subs list two of the characters' names as "Julie" and "Alis". The official subs list them as "Yuri" and "Alice" (the latter is also shown on-screen in English, so it's a moot point which is correct). [Side note: both of the characters in question are male. Just saying]

I know there's also entries where the manga has been licensed and translated long before the anime even exists, and the spelling of the names from the [official] manga translation have been used in the anime, yet when the anime is released in English, different spellings are used.

So, the question is, which is "correct" by way of the encyclopedia, when official information conflicts?

For the case of "manga info was entered before official info from anime was available," I think the answer would be simple, the manga info should be marked as error, and the anime info replaces it.

For the case of "[thing] was spelled one way in official subs, but shown on-screen to be spelled another way," it would also make it obvious that the spelling shown on-screen is the creator's intended spelling (as odd as those sometimes are).

For the case of "simulcast stream spelled it one way, home video release spelled it another," it gets more complex. In the case of Alis/Alice from Sunday Without God, Crunchyroll would have had no way of knowing that it would be spelled on-screen as "Alice," and given that it's a less common male name, giving it the still-accurate "Alis" spelling would have been perfectly valid. On the other hand, since the on-screen spelling was already known, Sentai was able to set that as the spelling from the start. Because most home video releases have the benefit of having the full series available from the start, and simulcast releases have a very small time frame, I'd personally go with the home video release in general, because there are a number of factors which may go into the choice of spelling, that a time-crunched simulcast may not have when they go episode-to-episode.

For episode titles, at least, it's much easier. If we were to be able to enter a precision, the simulcast episode could get an added precision of "[source]'s simulcast" and the home video release could get a precision of "[source]'s release".
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Because most home video releases have the benefit of having the full series available from the start, and simulcast releases have a very small time frame, I'd personally go with the home video release in general, because there are a number of factors which may go into the choice of spelling, that a time-crunched simulcast may not have when they go episode-to-episode.

Yeah, pretty much this. I would also think that the Japanese licensor has more time to influence the officially used name, too.

I have seen this recently with Wixoss where FUNi spelled a character "Ulith" throughout the simulcast and up to their initial dub cast announcement, but then her name was consistently spelled and pronounced "Urith" throughout the home video release. I assume they had some reason to make the change and so that spelling becomes the priority.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
So, in these cases, should we report errors in wrong spellings?

And then, what about episode titles? (I haven't had a chance to check the BD vs Crunchyroll for the Log Horizon titles)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1