• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Survey: 5,400 Live in Internet, Manga Cafes in Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:07 am Reply with quote
The new face of the future homeless - but at least they have a place to stay and are off the streets - maybe we should open a bunch of live in internet and manga cafe's here in the US too that stay open 24/7...
Roy9076

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:57 am Reply with quote
Could of sworn something like this was reported a few months ago. Anyways, seems to be a "popular" hangout.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:36 am Reply with quote
there was a story about a man arrested for not paying his bill and living in a manga cafe for like months
Akukaze

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:17 am Reply with quote
Roy9076 wrote:
Could of sworn something like this was reported a few months ago. Anyways, seems to be a "popular" hangout.

There was an article stating that the ministry suspected a large quantity of people were "net cafe refugees" and were going to investigate. And these are the results of that investigation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:18 am Reply with quote
Roy9076 wrote:
Anyways, seems to be a "popular" hangout.

It's out of need, not preference. In some area of Tokyo, the rent + utilities for the smallest studio (and may not have its own bathroom) is more expensive than living in a cubicle of an Internet cafe (with shower room and air conditioning) for the same period.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
This is sad.

Also, how is the fee normally charged? By the hour?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
starcade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:59 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised.

I'm only surprised it isn't thousands more.

Face it: With 3 million homeless in the United States, there is NO WAY that they would ever bring anything like that to the US. Most cities have a lot of parents that don't like the computer entertainment establishments which come and go -- imagine if they opened up a ton of these and basically understood that the homeless were essentially going to live there??
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I agree. This can't work in america. Maybe if it was in a convention landscape that is only a weekend but not just on its own in the US.

Hmmm. Say...Do tourists use these as a cheap way of stay in Japan? If so....hmmmm. Cool
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
This is sad.

By the hour, but overnight stays are cheaper than the combined number of hours. Right now I'm in a manga kissa, and looking at the prices on the wall beside me it's:

1 hour 420 yen
1.25 hours 515 yen
1.5 hours 610 yen
1.75 hours 705 yen
2 hours 800 yen
3 hours 1180 yen
4 hours 1560 yen
etc...

This place is a little expensive compared to other places I've been to.

but there's also an 8 hour package for 2120 yen, rental of a towel for the shower is 100 yen.

-t
Akukaze

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:08 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
This is sad.

By the hour, but overnight stays are cheaper than the combined number of hours. Right now I'm in a manga kissa, and looking at the prices on the wall beside me it's:

1 hour 420 yen
1.25 hours 515 yen
1.5 hours 610 yen
1.75 hours 705 yen
2 hours 800 yen
3 hours 1180 yen
4 hours 1560 yen
etc...

but there's also an 8 hour package for 2120 yen, rental of a towel for the shower is 100 yen.

-t

The one I go to is 370 yen for the first hour and 40 yen for every extra ten minutes, and then 700 for three hours, or 1000 for five. They don't have any overnight packages, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:25 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
[This place is a little expensive compared to other places I've been to.

Oh wow! I thought it would be more expensive. Yahoo! is telling me that 2120 Yen is $18.59 USD. Are you in Tokyo?

No wonder people stay there. I assume these are private businesses, so if that is what they feel is a fair charge then good for them. Kinda makes me uneasy that some people feel this is somehow a state solution to homelessness though.

For people who go there for other reasons than to crash, like say read manga, do they have extra fees for fast readers? Otherwise I would think publishers would get kinda pissed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ultrapostman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

1 hour 420 yen
1.25 hours 515 yen
1.5 hours 610 yen
1.75 hours 705 yen
2 hours 800 yen
3 hours 1180 yen
4 hours 1560 yen
etc...

-t

Considering these cheap prices, would you say that at least some cafes are specifically targeting the homeless as costumers? I agree that it's definetly better than being on the street, but that doesn't mean that it's completely alright. These people need affordable housing; living in a manga cafe is only trying to ignore the problem.

Also, I was wondering how can the cafes still turn a profit with rates like those? With real estate in Japan as expensive as it is, I don't understand how the cafes can afford to be cheap.
Cold-NiTe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Now that's what I call a fictional solution to a real world problem! =)
hikura

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Cold-NiTe wrote:
Now that's what I call a fictional solution to a real world problem! =)

Funny quaote of the day.That was good.
But it is scary that something like that is happening in japan.Just as scary as our homeless population.
Akukaze

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
For people who go there for other reasons than to crash, like say read manga, do they have extra fees for fast readers? Otherwise I would think publishers would get kinda pissed.

There are no extra fees unless you like order lunch or something. It's basically an all-you-can-take buffet of manga, movies, games, internet, and soft drinks. And A couple years ago some publishers were making a big fuss abotu manga cafes, but I haven't heard anything recently. But even without manga cafes, there are still more used bookstores in Japan than regular book stores, or at least that's how it seems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2