• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Full Metal Disorder

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Good lord, that media collection is gorgeous.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Gabriella wrote:
It lacks a dub but includes an OVA about the show's baby fox spirit mascot, K-ON!.
Haha, looks like someone's autocorrect messed up Smile

As I've mentioned in my comment on Nick's review, the thing I've found most original and interesting in Inari Kon Kon was its uncommon portrayal of Kyoto - focusing on its Shinto heritage rather than on Buddhism, as well as featuring the actual dialect. But yeah, I can see how this would be a sales point for a rather niche audience. I do agree that the anime was pretty derivative in most other aspects, and I also felt that it didn't strike the right balance between plot and character relations.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if I'm more jealous of all those awesome super editions of various anime, or that there's clearly still space for more.

I only first watched Full Metal Panic for the first time maybe a year or so ago, but even upon a first viewing, it holds up very well. I've also watched Fumoffu, which is all comedy, but clearly knows that's what it wants to be and it's awesome for it. I plan to watch Second Raid soon enough too. I'm actually afraid that the planned new series won't hold up to the old one, though I'm hoping that it'll continue on from wherever Second Raid leaves off and banks on people having already seen the original series, instead of rehousing old ground (except maybe a starter recap ep or something)
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
So from the collection part... Loved it!!!
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I think full metal panic is very good at switching between drama and comedy because it uses it's two main character personality very well. Unlike other show which tries to have the same character change personality to fit the funny or dramatic part, both character in FMP stays consistent but there surrounding changes which makes them take on different role. Sosuke is always serious, meaning he's the comic relief in normal civilian part but fit in quite well in war zone. This means you don't get a disconnect, its the same character trough the series, this is far better than most show that try to alternate.
Forrest-kun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Cheesus crust..that anime collection.. I want those special editions so bad but I spend all my money on manga. I do have a decent amount off special editions though!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Silly Ash, haven't you learned by now that you'll never catch 'em all?

Yes, finally! Someone besides me has uttered these words! :D

Anyway, I want to add both Fumoffu and Second Raid to my collection. I really enjoyed Full Metal Panic years ago and I still have fond memories of it. It's a wonder I've waited this long.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is really, really a show for little girls and nobody else.

Yet the manga is published in a seinen magazine.

I would have bought this one if it had a dub, honestly. It's one I quite enjoyed, but not enough to buy sub-only.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow, so Kon Kon is just for little girls. Huh, I didn't realise that at all. And, as a guy in my 20s, that should've hit me...Laughing

Loved Inari Kon Kon...but not enough to own it. Touka and Uka became the reason that I latched onto the show. Sadly, seeing there was no conclusion, it isn't a show I'd re-watch. Add to that, it doesn't look like getting a 2nd season, so it is what it is.

I'd buy the manga, if it was available to me in print.

I'd say the same for Blue Spring Ride. Loved the anime, but it needs a 2nd season or the manga licensed.

On FMP, I've got to buy this one soon. I'm just waiting on Madman to have another sale...where FMP's first season is discounted. I bought Fumoffu for $10AUD and The Second Raid for $20AUD. First season is still listed as $50AUD. I look forward to checking out this series, but I probably won't be watching it for myself until next year, as I assume that the first season will be discounted sometime next month...
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I forgot that La corda d'oro Blue Sky even existed and there was a good reason for that. I couldn't make it past 3 episodes as I felt that it didn't have anything going for it. The character designs were bland, the melodrama was annoying, and the heroine was... ugh.

I'm definitely going to check out Blue Spring Ride at some point.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Everytime I think my anime collection is impressive I see pictures of others collection and I'm left speechless. Gorgeous!
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:23 am Reply with quote
Error in the sidebar summary for this week's column:

"... plus full reviews of Full Metal Panic Fumoffu..." (emphasis mine).
scineram

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:00 am Reply with quote
Paul wrote:
If you've never seen the show before and can't quite fathom why people have fond recollections of a show that didn't do anything particularly innovative, give it a shot.

Gabriella wrote:
Everything in Inari Kon Kon is a lesser version of something that I've seen in another anime or manga. It's not a bad or even particularly inconsistent experience – it's just that everything in it makes me think, “Oh, this is like [insert anime here] but bland and unfocused.”

Is this Originality thing some sort of Western cultural fetish?

Do notice that every single show Gabe says Inari shares elements with is very different from it in some fundamental way. In standing out from its genre it fares even better than FMP.

The reason I don't especially like Inari and Full Metal Panic is an alltime favorite is how well they execute whatever they are doing.
Gabe is quite on point most with of the flaws Inari that she points out. On the other hand I was never particularly bothered with the tonal transitions in FMP. I admit it might be because I only ever watched it as it was airing on TV, so never really marathoned long stretches of episodes. However if the sequel comes, I hope it is not going to be segregated, like the later seasons.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:30 am Reply with quote
scineram wrote:

It does seem to be an issue for many people here, but I do not know if you will find it in Western culture in general, and I doubt that it is exclusive to Western culture. I think that it is just part of personal preference.
Different people place different degrees of importance on different aspects of entertainment. Originality is just one of those aspects.

I can watch the exact same show ten or twelve times and still enjoy it.
Originality is not an issue for me.

Last edited by Touma on Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote
scineram wrote:

I wouldn't say it is, but I would say it is part of niche fandom in general.

There are many that like a certain thing, and enjoy seeing what people do within a certain set of boundaries. Then, there are people that have been involved in the fandom (whatever that may be) that get to a point where they are tired of seeing the same thing over and over again.

Also, I don't think that it is always originality. Sometimes you can watch a show full of tropes, but they're executed well, and you can fall in love with the things you may have grown tired of.

Saying "I've seen this done before, but better" does not always mean that they are wanting something that is totally original...because, that's impossible now. I'd be shocked if I were to ever come across a piece of entertainment that contained only original elements to it. There may be things that are "new to me", but then you can always have a look around the net and find other pieces of entertainment that did what you just enjoyed before whatever you consumed was made.

I'm one that doesn't mind a show that does have the usual tropes, but if I feel like it is something that puts itself into too small of a box due to relying on the tropes, I probably won't enjoy it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2