• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Asia to Run Dragon Ball Super in English in Mid-2016

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
Before anyone says anything, I'll just say that I imagine this is more than likely an english dub produced for asian markets rather than an announcement of the inevitable Funimation dub. There's been plenty of series that have received alternate english dubs in southeast Asia for various reasons.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:12 am Reply with quote
I've e-mailed Funimation to ask them.

What would you prefer, a Funimation dub or a local dub ?
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
Funimation dub.

Yeah, not surprising(but for DB... sure, if it were to happen.). Fairy Tail did it long ago.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:22 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Tough question. Would I want Funimation to produce a dub that will almost certainly be of exceptional quality with the original cast I love to death or a new dub by people I've never heard of produced in an area that, let's be honest, isn't too well renowned for great English dubs?
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
FUNIMATION times Infinity!
Hopefully Toonami (America) will air Dragon Ball Super here as well PLEASE GOD let it be so. Cool
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:53 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
I've e-mailed Funimation to ask them.

Ocean dub produced primarily for broadcast in SEA.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
Would prefer Funimation dub, but if Ocean is doing it, I'm okay with that for the mean time. Not Ocean dub, not so sure. While "Big Green" was amusing, it could be a bit rough if its dubbed like that particular one.
anddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:15 am Reply with quote
I want another Malaysian dub and no one can change my mind. I need another Malaysian dub with those precise mediocre actors from back then as soon as they can get them. I'd be more excited for that than the Funi dub.
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:17 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Hopefully Toonami (America) will air Dragon Ball Super here as well PLEASE GOD let it be so. Cool

Assuming Toonami doesn't nosedive in the ratings, leading to Adult Swim ending the block, we'll probably see Super. The thing is, they're likely to wait until all of Kai has aired, including the Buu arc. That's 113 episodes left to air, which would take us to the week of Jan. 7, 2018 without any breaks in the schedule (holiday marathons where new episodes don't air). So unless they decide to air super and Kai at the same time, it'll be awhile before we see it on TV. Funimation will likely have released it on home video before it hits TV.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:27 am Reply with quote
The first (1-13) tag-a-long with Battle of the gods, (14- 26) is Resurrection of Frieza. Its a poor version of what you have already seen.

spoiler[Beerus ordering Frieza to destroy Planet Vegeta and Pan being born (GT now Canon?)] Is all that has been new VS what the movies have shown.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:41 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Pan being born (GT now Canon?)

She was in the final chapters of the manga...
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:44 am Reply with quote
Anddo wrote:
I want another Malaysian dub and no one can change my mind. I need another Malaysian dub with those precise mediocre actors from back then as soon as they can get them. I'd be more excited for that than the Funi dub.

Yeah, more "Saiya People" would be nice. Laughing
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:56 am Reply with quote
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
AnimeLordLuis wrote:

Assuming Toonami doesn't nosedive in the ratings, leading to Adult Swim ending the block, we'll probably see Super. The thing is, they're likely to wait until all of Kai has aired, including the Buu arc. That's 113 episodes left to air, which would take us to the week of Jan. 7, 2018 without any breaks in the schedule (holiday marathons where new episodes don't air). So unless they decide to air super and Kai at the same time, it'll be awhile before we see it on TV. Funimation will likely have released it on home video before it hits TV.
Actually Funimation hasn't Dubbed Buu arc yet so most likely it would end after gohan defeated cell. Plus the Toonami rankings have been doing very well as of recently. Wink
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:56 am Reply with quote
I just hope when Funimation gets it they don't get cute with the English dub script. Stay as accurate to the Japanese version as possible. Faithful scripts, no outlandish fake accents or pointless slang insertion, no monster truck rally narration, and keep Monica Rial as Bulma and Chris Ayres as Freeza. So basically mostly what they've been doing recently with the new movies and Kai.

Steve Simmons translation, too. Very important.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:16 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Actually Funimation hasn't Dubbed Buu arc yet so most likely it would end after gohan defeated cell.

They actually have dubbed the Buu arc of Kai, several of the voice actors have confirmed this. It's Funimation's worst-kept secret at the moment.

Why they have still yet to announce that they have it on the other hand, despite dubbing work presumably being over and done with for a while now, is a complete mystery that's presently baffling the fanbase almost as much as the Shrodinger's Cat that is the Ocean dub of Kai. The best guess anyone has at this point is that Funimation has decided to just move forward on Super and leave Buu Kai alone until Toonami catches up in 2017.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3