• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warners' Live-Action Death Note Film Casts Margaret Qualley

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna be ticked if they don't use the characters actual names.

Then again, if they take the movie and make it an American setting in the hopes of making it a better sell to a wider American audience, perhaps i'll overlook those details. So long as L is still L.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
So this is still happening? Surprising.
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Wait. What? How? When? No, seriously. How did a Death Note movie get kickstarted by Warner Bros. without me knowing?
Nozarashi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching The Naked Brothers Band on TV years ago. And now Nat Wolff is playing the lead character in one of my favorite animes. Funny how that works.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Lol, I've a feelng this is gonna fail so badly. How can you adapt an 37 episode, 15hours worth of material, anime into a movie?

Ghost in the Shell adapation I can understand that one, but this I do not.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Will America ever get it trough there thick skulls...that eastern media should be portrayed by Eastern People....god... Live Action of Anime shows..are never going to move past mediocrity.
Pariston_Hill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
UPDATED: Oops, it’s Margaret Qualley, Rainey Qualley’s sister and daughter of Andie MacDowell, who has been offered Death Note. The deal is in negotiations but is expected to make.

http://deadline.com/2015/11/death-note-movie-rainey-qualley-1201620654/
Ryusui

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I think the movies and the live action series demonstrate that Death Note is a story that can withstand a surprising amount of tweaking in the adaptation process.

The question is whether this adaptation will catch the beats which make Death Note work. Western media already has its share of charismatic serial killers with a love for mind games, but mostly I'm worried this adaptation will do something limp-wristed like foist repentance on its Light-analogue, or otherwise allow him to walk away in the end.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Will America ever get it trough there thick skulls...that eastern media should be portrayed by Eastern People....god... Live Action of Anime shows..are never going to move past mediocrity.

Edge of Tomorrow/All You Need Is Kill was a great western adaptation. They're few and far between but they can happen.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

No they should not. What is important about the quality of a movie is not the ethnicity of the actor but how WELL they act. Also, for a movie to get traction in the movie theater generally they need a big named actor (e.g. Tom Cruse). That means a western actor.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:50 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:

Edge of Tomorrow/All You Need Is Kill was a great western adaptation. They're few and far between but they can happen.

Alright...All you need is kill was good..but with so much terrible movies being made...that outnumber the good one's u can't blame for being very skeptic.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
So they decided to turn Naomi Misora into a real characters. Ok? I wonder how much the movie will even have to do with the manga. The 2015 TV show was the definition of an abortion so there is only room up now. Sigh. DN is further not deeply rooted in Japanese culture in the way GitS and Akira are. The Americanization will be the smallest problem the film will have to face. The movie format is already strike one. Jeremy Slater may be strike two.

I am still waiting for the day when they decide to potentially shaft Berserk in the cinema. No wait. That happened already...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeaaaah... I lost hope in this movie back when I saw the phrase "reclusive police officer" the first time. This is just gonna turn L into an underdog cop or something isn't it?

I don't like dissing stuff before seeing it, I'm really not that kind of person. But I honestly have zero hope with this adaptation. I have a feeling they will just take the notebook concept and twist everything else beyond recognition.

I'll just stick to the Death Note manga thanks.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Herald Of JOJO wrote:
Wait. What? How? When? No, seriously. How did a Death Note movie get kickstarted by Warner Bros. without me knowing?

Movie's been in development hell since like 06.

Thespacemaster wrote:

Just because Death Note was made in Japan, for japanese audiences, and itself takes place in Japan doesn't mean any adaptations have to exclusively follow suit.

If anyone needs to get anything through their thick skull it's people who legitimately think that keeping everything from an original work, in an adaptation is a prerequisite. I mean if such a thing incenses you to such an extent you can just stick the various live action adaptations that Japan has already made.
XSp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
As much as I hate how Hollywood has been crapping over anime and manga over the years, I'll have to admit that a Death Note movie could be made... as long as they adapt it right.

And I hope I don't get Death Note fans too pissed with me, but I'll have to say that the best way of making a Hollywood made Death Note work, is by scrapping most of the original content.

Once they've gone past getting japanese actors and actresses for the part, it's best that they just use the premise (the death note itself) and build a detective story that better fits western tastes.

I know I know, sounds like I'm insulting the original work. But I'd rather see the content mangled than some very poor attempt on white washing and compilation of it.

I can't see the whole shinigami part being portrayed right, I cannot see how a character like Misa would work well in direct translation, and it'd be extremely easy to misinterpret both L and Light's role making they look like angsty teens or something.

I'm saying it needs adaptation, but I'm definitely not saying the Dragon Ball Evolution type.

The quirkyness and motivations of some characters, as well as their intelligence, specially when you limit the entire content to a full feature film, will have to be brought faster and more clearly to be taken seriously.

There are a number of strategies to do that, but one fast and easy way is bringing their ages up quite a bit - something that seems they are not quite doing here.

Lots might disagree with me on this, but I'd rather see a Death Note Hollywood adaptation closer to something like True Detective among other "gritty serious detective stories" rather than it being adapted to some brainless action flick with teens in it. I just hope the director finds a good middleground, or it'll just become a joke as so many others.

To note: I don't have much faith for almost all other adaptations that are in the works. Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Cowboy Bebop and several others that were rumored... not because I think Hollywood directors are all crap and unable to adapt foreign material (though some of them definitely are), but more because some cultural cues are really hard to translate to, and I don't trust studios will put the money and effort needed to achieve it. Put simply: too many directors and studios are looking at this in a very wrong light.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2