• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3 Men Arrested for Uploading One Piece Chapter to English Website (Updated)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Marin99 wrote:
Tylerr wrote:

what malware? From ads?

adblock plus solves that.

Noobs these days... too lazy to even know that.

Whatever, people in japan that help spread the love...need to know they MUST and SHOULD use a VPN to reduce risks.

Yes reduce the risk doesnt mean that there is no risk. How do you know if they have used VPN or not.
Adamanto

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Marin99 wrote:
Tylerr wrote:

what malware? From ads?

adblock plus solves that.

Noobs these days... too lazy to even know that.

Whatever, people in japan that help spread the love...need to know they MUST and SHOULD use a VPN to reduce risks.

Mangapanda is a low-quality, ad-ridden for-profit site, I'm pretty sure these people were doing it for the money mangapanda were paying them, not to "spread the love".
SakuraGirl17

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Good.

I'm glad they got arrested since honestly I'm against online scanlations.

Thankfully North America is getting better at picking up and releasing more manga per-month. Which makes it easier for me to avoid reading things online.
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad for them. They were doing good for the community. Luckily piracy isn't killed so easily. Twisted Evil
Buzz201

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
karyuudo0127 wrote:
I feel bad for them. They were doing good for the community. Luckily piracy isn't killed so easily. Twisted Evil

"good for the community" I'm sorry, what!? Confused
Drunk Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Good. There is no grey area here, illegal is illegal. They need to get to the one who leaks Jump several days ahead of release, too. Rolling Eyes

"illegal is illegal." I'm sure they said the same thing about the underground railroad.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Drunk Samurai wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:
Good. There is no grey area here, illegal is illegal. They need to get to the one who leaks Jump several days ahead of release, too. Rolling Eyes

"illegal is illegal." I'm sure they said the same thing about the underground railroad.

What? You can't seriously be saying that it should be perfectly legal to leak something you don't own the copyright to, to then make a profit off it and then to potentially deprive the creator and publisher (the people that actually spent their hard earned money and time creating it) of their deserved money?

Not only is it seriously immoral to take his work without paying, but it's also selfish. If they don't make any money, how are they supposed to invest in future manga series or pay the people that create the manga you supposedly enjoy reading? You will only bite yourselves in the arse, such a shame you have to take everyone else with you...
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
A sad panda is a mangapanda.
Drunk Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
Drunk Samurai wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:

What? You can't seriously be saying that it should be perfectly legal to leak something you don't own the copyright to, to then make a profit off it and then to potentially deprive the creator and publisher (the people that actually spent their hard earned money and time creating it) of their deserved money?

Not only is it seriously immoral to take his work without paying, but it's also selfish. If they don't make any money, how are they supposed to invest in future manga series or pay the people that create the manga you supposedly enjoy reading? You will only bite yourselves in the arse, such a shame you have to take everyone else with you...

No. I was just pointing out the stupidity to claim that something is automatically wrong/bad if it's illegal.
Trysail

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
Drunk Samurai wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:

If not for piracy, manga and anime would be in a different place entirely in the west. Crunchyroll started out as an illegal site. Manga especially. It's all well and good if you can read Japanese, but if you can't then limiting yourself to only licensed manga that is still readily available for purchase places a huge limitation on what you can read in a medium you supposedly enjoy.

Compared to Japan where you can check several series out in cheap magazines, I feel like I'd be the one getting cheated out of my money if I had to buy a full volume (again more expensive than in Japan) of every single series I wanted to check out. And what about licensed, incomplete series dead in the water? Tough luck, I guess. But at least Amano's getting her money when someone decides to not buy or read Aria.

For the record I have volumes 1-6 with vol.4 missing, but I bought them used. Now I don't know what the people I bought them off of did with the money, but they probably didn't go to Amano or any publisher involved. I read the rest of it elsewhere and supposedly enjoyed biting myself in the arse.

More on-topic, IIRC mangapanda is one of the biggest offenders in topaz-abuse. I hope they crash and burn.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Trysail wrote:
If not for piracy, manga and anime would be in a different place entirely in the west. Crunchyroll started out as an illegal site. Manga especially. It's all well and good if you can read Japanese, but if you can't then limiting yourself to only licensed manga that is still readily available for purchase places a huge limitation on what you can read in a medium you supposedly enjoy.

Compared to Japan where you can check several series out in cheap magazines, I feel like I'd be the one getting cheated out of my money if I had to buy a full volume (again more expensive than in Japan) of every single series I wanted to check out. And what about licensed, incomplete series dead in the water? Tough luck, I guess. But at least Amano's getting her money when someone decides to not buy or read Aria.

For the record I have volumes 1-6 with vol.4 missing, but I bought them used. Now I don't know what the people I bought them off of did with the money, but they probably didn't go to Amano or any publisher involved. I read the rest of it elsewhere and supposedly enjoyed biting myself in the arse.

More on-topic, IIRC mangapanda is one of the biggest offenders in topaz-abuse. I hope they crash and burn.

The manga in question, One Piece, has a legal English simulpub, that can be picked up in all English-speaking territories for $0.99 as part of Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine, and if you don't trust Viz's own site, it can be acquired for a similar price from Comixology and Amazon Kindle.

You want to justify piracy to yourself, go for it , but none of the excuses you've made apply to One Piece.
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
you guys make it sound like Manga panda is done
( I don't go there for One piece and other manga I can actually get with money ) but only three guys were arrested and with 4,0000 something mangas in their site I highly doubt its three guys translating all that
Trysail

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
Trysail wrote:

The manga in question, One Piece, has a legal English simulpub, that can be picked up in all English-speaking territories for $0.99 as part of Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine.

You want to justify piracy to yourself, go for it , but none of the excuses you've made apply to One Piece.

Yeah, they don't apply to one special case of the biggest manga in Japan which also has a large following in the West. I'm obviously not talking about every manga ever made, unlike the person who posted 'there is no gray area' and started this chain of comments.

As far as I'm concerned, spending money on collecting the series I like rather than on checking out the series that seem potentially interesting is something that works out great both for me and the creators.

As for One Piece, you definitely don't need to worry about Oda or his published not making any money off it.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Good
The topic of copyright infringement ethics aside, Mangapanda's a bottom of the barrel level option for desperate people lowering themselves a fair amount. Seriously, it takes swallowing quite a bit of one's pride to willingly consume such poor output.
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
Good
The topic of copyright infringement ethics aside, Mangapanda's a bottom of the barrel level option for desperate people lowering themselves a fair amount. Seriously, it takes swallowing quite a bit of one's pride to willingly consume such poor output.
I agree yeah not even I use it tho they are the only scan group that loves to release their shit early ( mangastream try its best to release their scans after Jump release them now so they don't have problems like they did before )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5