• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chuya-Den Kickstarter Fails to Reach US$100,000 Goal

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
I only heard about when it was first announced. Haven't seen a shred of advertising since. They should've spent more on that.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:37 am Reply with quote
Didn't even know about this til just now
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:53 am Reply with quote
Had Chuya-Den been advertised more, it would've had a higher chance of reaching its goal.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:59 am Reply with quote
I love seeing Kickstarters fail or people run away with all the money.
Sorry, i'm a hater of Kickstarter. I feel like people should risk their own money instead of other people'say money. Especially those millionaires that need Kickstarter to fund their project.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:56 am Reply with quote
Maybe you should post an update on Kickstarts before they end instead of after. Might give people a chance to step in at the last minute and back it.
nemuyoake

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:01 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Especially those millionaires that need Kickstarter to fund their project.

Are they, really?
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:26 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Sorry, i'm a hater of Kickstarter. I feel like people should risk their own money instead of other people'say money. Especially those millionaires that need Kickstarter to fund their project.

What? Most of the indepentent people invest lot of money in their own projects, it's just not enough. Most indie games funded on Kickstarter demand a ridiculously low amount of money, games like those produced could never be made for such low amount of money in an professional environment (often only considering stuff like living expenses, or additional money for graphics or whatever), and many of them would never have materialized without the help of all those backers who gave their money to a cause because they wanted to.

You reasoning makes no sense. I genuinely hope you don't really think that most people use Kickstarter to make a quick dime.
c933103

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:16 am Reply with quote
be careful with numeric typo.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:29 am Reply with quote
Legit first time hearing about this Kickstarter project. What they needed to do was get the word out there about it.

I saw an interview recently with Adam Sessler about his Friday the 13th game Kickstarter. He basically did a press tour of every possible site where he could plug the game. That's how you do a KS right. Over funded by almost $120,000.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:37 am Reply with quote
Despite not being a fan of the company that organized this project on Kickstarter, AwesomeJapan, I pledged to back this project. This was the first time that AJ had actually shown a preview of what higher sketch tiers would receive, rather than a vague graphic. My problem with AJ is that they promise you the moon, and then, once the money has been taken, things begin to change, and what your originally thought you'd receive becomes completely different because of a whole slew of reasons that AJ will never disclose unless you inquire about the status of your goods.

I think the amount, 100K, was high for what the project was. I was amazed that the project shot up from about 30K a week ago to over 80K. I'm guessing this project was probably promoted more on Japanese sites than American ones?

As for companies collecting money and running off with it, I've yet to have a problem with that, and this is after donating to over 10 projects over the course of several years at high amounts. In most cases, though, the estimated arrival date of rewards is off by a year, so I generally add a year to the estimated date when I pledge. as long as you keep that in mind when you pledge, you'll be fine.
c933103

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:21 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

Does that mean you disapprove the core concept of capitalism of allocating resources or money to where it is needed by letting people investing money to places they feel needed. What alternative resource allocation method do you think would be better? No allocation at all?
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Despite not being a fan of the company that organized this project on Kickstarter, AwesomeJapan, I pledged to back this project. This was the first time that AJ had actually shown a preview of what higher sketch tiers would receive, rather than a vague graphic.

That's not AwesomeJapan's decision, though. They don't make the games or anime, they just do the communication and stuff because most Japanese don't understand and speak enough English to do it by themselves. Whether the project is delivered, and in what form, is all in the hands of the people doing the project. (I also think that they basically have the plan for how to run the campaign.)

And this may go well (see Santa Company), or not so well (see Under the Dog), or with massive delay (see nearly all Kickstarter projects), or not at all.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:43 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

While you do have a point, I think that if a Japanese company did this and not delivered the promise product when it was successful, there are lawsuits that they could face. I think that company wouldn't want to risk it because it could also have their reputation tarnished.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:37 am Reply with quote
^ I realize that it's not AwesomeJapan's decision to show a preview. I've yet to be happy with any project run by AJ. Their lack of communication is horrible. With the Samurai project, they weren't clear on what you could request for a sketch, and that was something they waited several months to clarify, once the money was taken.

I was also not happy with the Santa Company project for the same reason as well. Next time, I hope ChuyaDen goes with another company.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:48 am Reply with quote
This looks interesting. I didn't know anything about this project until today.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2