• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Utawarerumono: The False Faces (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

That is a surprising twist, the general is actually Ukon. I thought it odd with the whole beard thing, but when I saw the title of the series I thought the could be an explanation. "The False Faces", the item that specifically comes to mind is a mask, such as the one the general wears. The general looks a lot like Haku, but Ukon kind of looks different with the hair, so my thought was that the mask he wears gives Ukon a fake face. Why the fake face looks like Haku and why it looks like Haku's arrival has been awaited by the emperor, makes me think there is a connection.

Are people just so not used to Haku's nature that they find him interesting, or is there some weird effect that Haku has on people?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

This is the first time that it has felt like a lack of knowledge of the first series has given a disadvantage with understanding a lot of the story. Was that one character who looked a lot like Kuon but was against being called a "mother" from the first series?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:07 am Reply with quote
^ Even though I've seen the first series, it was so long ago I don't know the answer to your question.

This really does have bath scenes in every episode. This one began and ended in a bath.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:03 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 6

This is the first time that it has felt like a lack of knowledge of the first series has given a disadvantage with understanding a lot of the story. Was that one character who looked a lot like Kuon but was against being called a "mother" from the first series?

Yes. She along with her companion were important secondary characters in the original series and their relationship with Kuon tells a great deal about Kuon's origins and how long after the first series this one takes place. They are exceptional warriors which automatically means their mission is very important.
WeNTuS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:26 am Reply with quote
I am so hyped with 6th episode because many old characters made appearance or were mentioned including Tusukuru country. Looking forward for new episodes. Seems like something big incoming.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
So why is Haku the only human seen so far and why aren't the demihumans questioning him about it? Or is this answered in the first season? I am going to marathon the first season sooner or later.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
there is an explanation for the lack of humans in the first season, however, no one ever really questioned Hakuro's lack of animal features, so I would guess that no one really cares
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Truly their society is advanced as evidenced by their abundance of yaoi. I do really enjoy seeing the different side to Rurutie. Also, don't steal Kuon's food.

A bratty character in the princess who you could see deserving a bit of a smack, but it felt a bit harsh when that happened, until brats her way through that too. Still could not dislike Anju.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Now that I finally finished the first season of Utawarerumono after leaving it in my backlog for years, I feel compelled to talk about my thoughts a bit. I've been watching this as it aired and been enjoying it despite it being very slice-of-life-esque so far. In that sense, this show seems to be much lighter in its content (thus far) whereas the first season was more serious but I think the slice of life elements works very well in building the characters here. I like how this doesn't really have to rely on its predecessor to be an enjoyable because it stands out on its own with the art, animation, and characters. I do appreciate the cameos of the first season's characters, too (even more so since I just finished that). But, there are still mysterious that are not touched upon due to the slice of life direction, i.e. Haku's origins. Hopefully we'll break from the SOL and head towards something a bit more serious.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

I love the moment she realises that she got herself involved in a fake kidnapping of the princess, and who was being called to fight her. Obviously her brother knew close to the entire time and just let it happen. This felt like a very fun episode. The girls just decided to follow the commotion and brought the ramen shop along with them, they were eating food during the show and even the soldiers joined in.

Rurutie continues to be my favourite. Haku can actually fight. Anju learned a lesson about responsibility with her power, which was super funny when she was suddenly right next to Munechika. And maybe under Haku the two thieves can be a bit more productive than they have been.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Anju learned a lesson about responsibility with her power, which was super funny when she was suddenly right next to Munechika.

Anju: told 'ya.

Did you notice who ratted her out? Apparently he is actually an agent for the general he was shooting message arrows at.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Did you notice who ratted her out? Apparently he is actually an agent for the general he was shooting message arrows at.

In an earlier episode, when the carriage they were transporting were attacked by bandits, I think Nosuri was working with the bandits (undercover I presume) so that might explain their relationship.

As for the episode, I really enjoy the comedy and how it lead to something more serious. Anju learns that her actions have grave consequences and affect more than just herself. She controls the lives of many at the palm of her hand. Haku being proficient at fighting was unexpected for me but after reading Hope's review, her predictions/explanations gave me a better understanding of the series.

I have to say that the episodes really go by quick for me despite not much really happening. It leaves me demanding more of the show so I guess I really do enjoy it.
Zork

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 11

The girls just decided to follow the commotion and brought the ramen shop along with them, they were eating food during the show and even the soldiers joined in.

The female cast is the best part of this show. Haku's "Oh woe is me!" act became tiresome for me after the second or third episode, and the plot just doesn't seem to be going anywhere. The girls are what keeps me watching.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Something tells me that the slice of life element is about to become a lot smaller, an invasion and battle is in effect.

But first for some strange reason the emperor gave Haku the two daughters of the high priestess. Actually it would appear that he is the human that Haku met for some reason earlier, possibly the same with the high priestess and her daughters, bit not necessarily.

As usual Rurutie is the best. Along with being put off by the new guests, we could see her having a male bonding book hidden inside of another, and her eventually succumbing to another pairing. Although also nice to have some dude time.

Also, Nekone's hissing.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
Yes, pacing feels really awkward for the first half but I think the pacing is likely to going to pick up from here. Oh man those twins, Haku got lucky. Again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6