• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia Manga Gets 3DS Game & Arcade Card Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:25 am Reply with quote
Holy cow, they are really pushing this series as the next big thing. I mean, I also think it's going to blow up...but I never expected a 3DS game!
GamerTimeUSA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:45 am Reply with quote
Nakurawari wrote:
Holy cow, they are really pushing this series as the next big thing. I mean, I also think it's going to blow up...but I never expected a 3DS game!

Me too. They really want this to be the next Naruto. The anime hasn't even come out yet. The milking begins???
Catsplay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:49 am Reply with quote
Considering the anime most likely won't be a long running series, I don't see how it possibly has the chance to be the next Naruto. With Bones usually doing anime original endings as well, chances don't look good for the series to continue that long.
MechaBladeZ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:51 am Reply with quote
Bones better be on top of their game with this series because if it flops, this won't be pretty.

Last edited by MechaBladeZ on Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:53 am Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
Considering the anime most likely won't be a long running series, I don't see how it possibly has the chance to be the next Naruto. With Bones usually doing anime original endings as well, chances don't look good for the series to continue that long.

I honestly don't mind that at all. I'd rather have a really good anime adaptation which only lasts two or three cours, than a really long one which would probably have budget issues, etc. I mean, look at Naruto now...it looks like garbage. Granted, it's a different studio...but still.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote
Nakurawari wrote:

Is it that big of a deal that a manga gets a game? I only say that because, well, So Cute It Hurts! got a game...but that is a series I don't see much talk about. Hell, I only started getting the manga on a whim. Laughing
GamerTimeUSA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:54 am Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:

Bones has never done a Weekly Shonen Jump series before, they also have never done a weekly manga series before. So I don't think we will get an anime original ending.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
In terms of average weekly poll results and their manga sales, My Hero Academia has actually been pretty similar to Shokugeki no Souma. They're basically the two most recent major hits of WSJ. So yea, this sort of thing isn't surprising.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
"Become the Number One Hero." That's misaimed marketing if I've ever seen it. The desire to be number one was one of the driving forces behind Todoroki's backstory and that kind of vanity motivated spoiler[Stain to start killing heroes.]
maoyen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Nakurawari wrote:

Makes sense. It's basically Naruto with superheroes.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Usually these kind of games are nothing special and never get brought over so the game news itself doesn't do much for me. But for everybody saying it's shocking how fast this series is getting this kind of merchandise, I thought the most surprising thing would have been the notion of the m already making figurines of Frog Girl and everything from the friggin spoiler[Villans raid arc] which was when the series JUST BARELY HIT IT'S 20s. As it turned out they were only CGI test models but I still think that says alot about it's popularity in Japan, and I for one hope it can maintain it because it's rare that one of these mega hit things is something I actually fully enjoy.

For anyone curious about what I'm talking about though:
https://twitter.com/mamamasu/status/529639193845051393

https://twitter.com/mamamasu/status/551803587798384640

https://twitter.com/sukima_no_hito/status/543433810797268993

(I can't believe I had this info wrong for over a year Jesus sorry about all the re editing to this post.)

Last edited by Thatguy3331 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
maoyen wrote:
Nakurawari wrote:

Makes sense. It's basically Naruto with superheroes.

Except the protagonist isn't a dimwitted loud-mouth... And he's not obsessed with trying to get his evil friend back... And so far, they haven't had a final story arc that had three fakeout villains.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
At the very least, this series lends itself to video games very well. Unlike, say, Assassination Classroom, which makes me confused every time a video game comes out for it (except Koro-sensei being in J-Stars Victory Vs.)

Animeking1108 wrote:
"Become the Number One Hero." That's misaimed marketing if I've ever seen it. The desire to be number one was one of the driving forces behind Todoroki's backstory and that kind of vanity motivated spoiler[Stain to start killing heroes.]

Well, Midoriya looks up to the current No. 1 hero, All Might, and wants to be just like him. That idea can easily be misinterpreted as aiming for the top.

Animeking1108 wrote:
Except the protagonist isn't a dimwitted loud-mouth... And he's not obsessed with trying to get his evil friend back... And so far, they haven't had a final story arc that had three fakeout villains.

It all depends on where Bakugo will go at this point. He got established as the angry, violently vengeful rival character pretty early on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1