• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids to Premiere Sega's Dinosaur King Anime on Fox

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:
At least this time they picked something their company was designed to work on: toy commercial shows. Although they still seem to think that "Americanizing" is important, which it isn't.

Pokemon and Yugioh are "toy commercial shows", champ. They're designed to move merchandise.
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
And here I was thinking they'd be done with anime....*sigh*....

Well on the plus side, this sounds like the kind of they could handle, since from what I understand, Dinosaur King is one of those "toy commercial shows" as Zac put it, and its already targeted towards kids in Japan.

Still, I shudder to think of what kind of synthesized, Casio-keyboard crap they try to pass of as a "new soundtrack".
firecrouch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
firecrouch wrote:
At least this time they picked something their company was designed to work on: toy commercial shows. Although they still seem to think that "Americanizing" is important, which it isn't.

Pokemon and Yugioh are "toy commercial shows", champ. They're designed to move merchandise.

Oh I no that, what I was trying to say was that the new anime they've done recently, like "Shaman King", the shoujo shows, and "One Piece", didn't do as well as those two, and unlike them they weren't merchandise-based shows.

God, is it just me or is 4Kids still stuck in the '80s? And even today the merchandise-based shows of Hasbro and DiC are a lot more entertaining.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:24 am Reply with quote
Wow. People are still bitching about Americanizing stuff even when the anime looks like a crappy kids show based on a Sega card game?

You know what? I'm fine with it. Let 4kids stick with the crappy card game anime and leave stuff like One Piece alone. It looks like a crappy and overly commercial show already, so no loss if it gets Americanized. Let them be stupid with titles like this and leave better ones alone.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:27 am Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:
God, is it just me or is 4Kids still stuck in the '80s? And even today the merchandise-based shows of Hasbro and DiC are a lot more entertaining.

One can only guess. Then again, corporations have survived for a time with bigger idiots than Kahn.

Still one has to wonder, will this new show have a chance, or are they really staring to grasp at straws? Is it that hard for them to try and imitate Viz Media, seeing they've pretty much gotten a lock with Naruto?
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:37 am Reply with quote
Well the good news is that FUNimation is releasing the dubbed adaption on DVD. That's good, right?
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:49 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Well the good news is that FUNimation is releasing the dubbed adaption on DVD. That's good, right?

thats true,but it'll most likely be the edited Dvds, anything with 4kids hardly ever gets any uncut releases (with the exception of Yugioh and Shaman king which got uncut releases,but dued to poor sales they eventually stopped)

also,I don't think they're adaption of Dinosaur King will be that bad, I mean come on people,sure there will be a few cheesy puns in there,but thats to be expected with Kids animes like this (remember Saban's digimon?)

bottemline is,if 4kids's previouse Pokemon license can be successful,maybe this will get the same treatment.
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:34 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

Yes, releasing them, as in distribution. The same way that Viz distributes the 4krap version of One Piece.

FUNi isn't going to have anything to do with the dubbing process is thats what you're wondering.
uncutpokemon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
One can only guess. Then again, corporations have survived for a time with bigger idiots than Kahn.

is there even such a thing as a bigger idiot then Al Kahn? lets face it Kahn makes Bush look like a genius!

ChronoBall X wrote:
also,I don't think they're adaption of Dinosaur King will be that bad, I mean come on people,sure there will be a few cheesy puns in there,but thats to be expected with Kids animes like this (remember Saban's digimon?).

keep dreaming... they already confirmed that BGM will be replaced, and names will be changed, that's enough to tell me that it's gonna be a bad dub. Digimon was a good dub?
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Show of hands for those who actually had this show in their "Want to see" list, counting the days when Dinosaur King was licensed for release on unedited DVD!

...Hmm...that's what I thought.

Why are we complaining about what 4Kids will do to some extremely obscure anime that no one cares about or would even watch even if it were released unedited on DVD and "not Americanized"?

Nagisa wrote:
This dub is going to amuse me, I can already tell. Most of the dinosaur species used in the game and anime series are rather obscure (as in, if you're not a complete nut for this sort of thing or a genuine expert in the field, odds are you've never heard of them), so it's going to be funny seeing if the translators even bother doing any actual research and just guess on the names.

Incidentally, as a slightly-more-than-the-average-person dinosaur enthusiast (was much bigger growing up than I am now, but I still love dinosaurs), this is all I care about them actually taking care with.

I don't care if Kris goes on his dinosaurs adventures with Caley and Hank dropping dinosaur puns left and right...I'd just hope they at least get the dinosaur species right. There's a difference in them "Americanizing" a show and then just getting facts wrong.[/quote]
Hika Yagami

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I already knew that 4Kids was going to show this. Someone posted it up on the 4Kids forum over a month ago. Her account is suspended though, probably from telling too much Razz.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
People complaining about Americanizing, and even those of you who are saying its no big deal, cause its a crappy Anime anyway:

When it comes to shows targeted at kids, Americanizing is a good idea. Kids are gonna be alot more receptive to something once its Americanized.

If you want to complain about butchering something actually aimed at older audiences, fine. (even then though, you should be mad because theyre denying us a chance to see the series by choosing to aim it at kids. Americanizing it is infact even more necissary in this case.)

However 4kids would be stupid to not americanize something like this. Sorry, little kids arent really big on appreciating Japanese culture. Im not saying you guys have to like it, but dont act like its some stupid unneccisary think that 4 Kids does for no good reason.

(sorry if Im misinterpreting any of you and youre actually not claiming otherwise)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2