• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RWBY (Web Series).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
The first episode of Volume 3 is now out.
Improved animation with a mixture of 2D and 3D and smoother fights.
It's the Tournament arc where teams from the 4 schools of Remnant duke it in groups 4, then 2 and finally 1 where only one can become champion.
Love the looks of the other teams.
Oh, Cinder's team is joining as well....spoiler[with Goth Neo in disguise!]
Also the debut of Neath Oum as Lie, taking over his late brother Monty.
Overall, great start for the new season. Can't wait for the 1st episode.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:47 am Reply with quote

Oh, them feels with the tribute to Monty. Crying or Very sad Another reminder to -- life moving on.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:

Another challenge to, and debate on, the established definition of "anime" in 3...2...1...

Since I have already seen 1 report tonight regarding this thread let me make something clear now for all with the new season starting. The topic of whether or not RWBY is anime or not will not be happening in this thread. People are entitled to think it's not anime if they so choose, but this thread's purpose is to discuss the SHOW and the content presented within. For fans to discuss the show and what they like or did not like from it. Not debate if it is actually anime or not or belongs here etc. So anyone thinking of starting that debate again just save your breath and let people enjoy the show. Thanks.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:03 am Reply with quote
I know. I was just being snarky. Laughing

In any case, at first watch, the fights seemed a tad...slower--a perception I found to be true, but more or less negligible on a second watch. Everything else looks to be very promising, and I think Monty would be proud. Blake's spoiler[comically desperate side] was a subtle, yet welcome development to a character who was never bothersome, but in retrospect, rather distant and morbid until now.

Can't wait to see how spoiler[Team JNPR perform, but I'm way more interested in the forthshadowed RWBY-CMEN (had to do it Laughing) fight that'll probably happen this volume].
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
RWBY Volume 3 episode 2 is out!

Oh i love Team NDGO. Not bad for a team created by a fan who Indiegogo funded Rooster Teeth's newest film.
The fights were both a mix of comedy and action.
spoiler[Truly Nora is the daughter of Thor.
And poor Sun's Korean Boy Band member.]

We also see Vic as Qrow, Ruby and Yang's uncle and Winter is here!
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
...and Winter is here!

Good! No more of THIS joke! Yeah, I'm talkin' to you Elizabeth Maxwell! Laughing
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Season 3 Ep 3

Interesting. So Winter does care about Weiss in a weird sort of way.
Who knew Qrow was such a drunken troll.
The fight between Winter and Qrow was great despite not having the same speed like the last two seasons.
spoiler[We also learn the leaders of the 4 Academies secretly work together to protect the Kingdoms from threats the people don't know like Cinder.
And Cinder hacks into the school to pair up her team against team CFWY for the next match.]
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:30 am Reply with quote
spoiler[That skirmish between Qrow and Winter] was the best fight of volume 3 so far, and represents a return to form, for me. They finally figured out how to get those walking animations right, but so far, the fights have seemed...slower and not as well-choreographed. Until now. Maybe it's because it was a one-on-one fight this time. Less moving parts to account for.

Other than that, I really like Qrow's character. The wise drunkard archetype is always a welcome addition in a collective of ultra-serious peacekeepers. Still, I hope they remember to expand upon the relationships Qrow and Winter have with Ruby and Weiss, respectively. Doesn't seem like that'll be much of an issue though.

I do verily hope to finally see spoiler[Emerald and Mercury in a proper engagement] next episode. I feel like Rooster Teeth have been teasing us about those two for the better part of the previous volume, all the way until now. Razz
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
spoiler[That skirmish between Qrow and Winter] was the best fight of volume 3 so far, and represents a return to form, for me. They finally figured out how to get those walking animations right, but so far, the fights have seemed...slower and not as well-choreographed. Until now. Maybe it's because it was a one-on-one fight this time. Less moving parts to account for.

Ya know, I've been seeing this criticism about the fighting animations going around any discussion about RWBY since Volume 3 premiered and in a way I'm not surprised. At the same time though, it's kinda made me contemplate a bit on what I've thought about the fight animations up until volume 3 (quick heads up, my thoughts will be a bit... lenghty. Though I don't mean it as a rant).

Now despite me not knowing who Monty was prior to when RWBY was first being teased through the character trailers, his approach to fighting in 3D animation is definitely fascinating. I've seen anime critics constantly express their low opinion on 3D in actual Japanese animation, partly due to how frame-rate is handled. And yet in terms of the non-motion capture animation, RWBY fight scenes always feel very kinetic. It's not exactly what I see out of certain animators that are praised among the sakuga community, but it does potentially resemble it, which I honestly never felt I could say about 3D in most anime. I don't know how much of it is Monty Oum or Shane Newville or anyone else on the animation team (as small as the team is, I doubt Monty would be given all the credit), but its very impressive. Apparently, the people who develop the Poser program have even asked for Roosterteeth's feedback on how to improve it because of RWBY.

With all that said though (and this is the part I've spent time contemplating on), there are times where I've felt in retrospect the animation have been a bit too kinetic for its own good. Let's just say I've curiously seen new fans react to the show on the internet and catch up to the volume 3 episodes and they all obviously drop their jaws at the fight scenes. But there are a couple of things they don't notice that could be worth highlighting because the fight scenes are that kinetic. One example was Penny's backpack at the end of volume 1. Most people didn't even notice that. Now part of it might be due to the animation team forgetting to consistently add her backpack until she was actually at the docks with Ruby, but I would argue that not having the camera spend enough time highlighting her backpack didn't help either. By the time people could've noticed her backpack, they were already distracted by Penny tossing her swords around everywhere.

Another example for fight scenes being at times too kinetic (and this one confused me for a while) was Blake's semblance. It was never clear to me whether Blake creating afterimages was due to her being very fast or something else. since up until towards the end of volume 2, we only saw them for split seconds. And given how it was later clarified that Ruby's semblance was speed, then it raised the question for a little while as to what Blake's was. It was until she said so that it became clear to not just me, but a bunch of people watching the show as well. And while the fight scenes definitely feel a tad slower, I liked how in Blake's fight against Reese from team ABRN that we see her ability used more extensively which helps further clarify how long her afterimage can maintain form.

Anyway, I could go on with a couple of other examples such as how Ruby can coordinate a strategy against the Nevermore grimm with what would be her teammates when they didn't need to talk to each other (as awesome as the fight scene was) or how most people reacting to the show didn't initially catch Neptune's weapon turning into a trident briefly after it turned into a guandao. My point is, I don't think the fight animation as it was in the first couple of volumes is without those few problems I already mentioned. And as much slower the fight animation in volume 3 has felt in comparison, I have found it to be beneficial in ways that I kinda wish fans would acknowledge more. And I apologize for the lengthy post, but this was something I recently felt compelled to express.

Quote:
Other than that, I really like Qrow's character. The wise drunkard archetype is always a welcome addition in a collective of ultra-serious peacekeepers. Still, I hope they remember to expand upon the relationships Qrow and Winter have with Ruby and Weiss, respectively. Doesn't seem like that'll be much of an issue though.

Wise-crack drunkard is what I would describe him more as. Seriously, it makes me wonder how Vic Mignogna approached portraying the character. It kinda reminds me of Steve Blum's take on Wolverine only a bit different due to how Vic naturally sounds.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:43 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Gatherum wrote:

Wise-crack drunkard is what I would describe him more as. Seriously, it makes me wonder how Vic Mignogna approached portraying the character. It kinda reminds me of Steve Blum's take on Wolverine only a bit different due to how Vic naturally sounds.

Actually, I would say that Qrow *is* wise (as well as a drunk). You'll notice that when they were having their private discussion later on, that Qrow, Glenda, and Ozpin were all in agreement about the lack of discretion shown by James in bringing his fleet to Vale. Qrow is more hotheaded and direct than Ozpin, but their interpretation of how James' actions would be received by the general public were identical. Note that moment where all three of them were looking at James (with Ozpin sitting at his desk) and then James suddenly backed down as to the rightness of his actions and asked "What do you think I should've done, then?" (I may be paraphrasing that.)

So, yeah, Qrow is on the same wavelength as Ozpin, and I consider Ozpin to be pretty wise indeed, which means Qrow is also at least fairly wise.

I'm more interested in who or what (probably who) Autumn is. Qrow's reveal of that piece of info seemed to have surprised the rest of the group, and probably relates to Cinder pretty directly.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:22 am Reply with quote
@ Tuor_of_Gondolin:

Oh no, I certainly agree. I was sort of joking with what I said earlier and I probably should've clarified that. Though I do stick to the idea that he seems to be more expressive through making wisecrack responses compared to Ozpin, Glynda and James. He just seems to be more selective based on how much he respects that person he talks to, which is why I compared him to Wolverine but more laid back based on my admittedly limited perception of the character (I never read the X-men comics). He definitely He definitely trusts Ozpin's choices much more than James.

Basically we seem to mostly be in agreement with each other here. Laughing
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
@ Tuor_of_Gondolin:

Oh no, I certainly agree. I was sort of joking with what I said earlier and I probably should've clarified that. Though I do stick to the idea that he seems to be more expressive through making wisecrack responses compared to Ozpin, Glynda and James. He just seems to be more selective based on how much he respects that person he talks to, which is why I compared him to Wolverine but more laid back based on my admittedly limited perception of the character (I never read the X-men comics). He definitely He definitely trusts Ozpin's choices much more than James.

Basically we seem to mostly be in agreement with each other here. Laughing

I would definitely say that Qrow is a snarky SOB. And I agree that how he interacts with people depends on how much he respects them. OTOH, I think he was specifically annoyed with James for two reasons: lack of communication and James bringing his fleet to Vale. This appears to have annoyed him so much that he actually came to Vale to talk about it. (It seems pretty clear that Qrow wasn't supposed to be in Vale at all.) So I'm pretty sure that Qrow was being extra snarky because he was legitimately pissed at James, as opposed to the general snarkiness he probably gives off most of the time.

OTOH, he *does* seem to get along very well with Ruby (and probably with Yang), so he's probably not snarky all the time. Also, I think he was intentionally goading Winter as she was a target-of-opportunity (he made an early comment to her about the ship she arrived in) and knew she was a subordinate to James. Plus, I think he just plain enjoyed yanking Winter's chain. I wouldn't be surprised if something developed between the two.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
OTOH, he *does* seem to get along very well with Ruby (and probably with Yang), so he's probably not snarky all the time. Also, I think he was intentionally goading Winter as she was a target-of-opportunity (he made an early comment to her about the ship she arrived in) and knew she was a subordinate to James. Plus, I think he just plain enjoyed yanking Winter's chain. I wouldn't be surprised if something developed between the two.

That was one thing I wanted to add earlier when comparing him to Wolverine, but I held off from doing so because I can't recall if Wolverine himself has ever come off as the "cool uncle" with certain characters on X-Men media. I think that's complimentary with the snarky attitude with various people.

Also, there's another thing with Qrow that I can't un-see. I know that for a bunch of people the story has outstayed its welcome, but Qrow and Winter's relationship reminds me quite a bit of Byakuya and Yoruichi's relationship in Bleach. The differences being that the genders are reversed and Winter is more short-tempered compared to Byakuya. You even have the whole, "younger sibling looking up to her older figure of nobility", dynamic thrown in. I can't be the ONLY one that sees that.

All that aside, ...yeah. Couldn't agree with everything else you said.

Oh! On another note, there was a recent interview of Elizabeth Maxwell, the voice of Winter on Afterbuzz TV. And apparently, the RWBY manga started serializing in Japan.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Volume 3 episode 4
The fast paced action and fights from Volume 1 and 2 returns in the fight between Yatsu and Coco VS Mercury and Emerald.
spoiler[Mercury and Emerald wins the match.]
Qrow playing Videogames with his nieces and reveals he and their parents Team name was STRQ (pronounced "Stark").
Qrow has suspicions the White Fang are up to something since Torchwick was arrested.
Winter and Weiss having tea time where we learn the Schnee familyspoiler[ has a hereditary semblance to summon creatures.
Winter can summon a Bear but Weiss has yet to master her summoning since emotions are needed. (Weiss does succeed in summoning something. A Sword. The same Sword wielded by the Knight in the White Trailer! Yes, the Knight in the White Trailer who gave Weiss her scar was also her summon creature!)]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 19