• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Comic Ranking, November 9-15 [2015-11-18]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
OPM is slowly getting to 1mln for its v1. Seems to be having a slower anime boost than a few other series
NikamiYuhara

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
OPM is slowly getting to 1mln for its v1. Seems to be having a slower anime boost than a few other series

Probably since most of the anime watchers are fans of the manga beforehand
NikamiYuhara

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
So happy Orange is number 1 I expected it but that's insane...I hope the physical volumes come to America I really want to add them to my collection
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

1 million copies a volume is rare, very rare.

2008 (animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-12-19/2008-yearly-japanese-comic-ranking-no.1-25)

One Piece
NANA
Nodame Cantabile
Naruto
Fullmetal Alchemist

2009 (animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-12-03/2009-japanese-comic-ranking-no.1-25)

Same as 2008 (Bleach gets close you can tell this was years ago lol)

2010 (animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-11-30/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-volume/2010-part-1)

One Piece
Naruto
Fullmetal Alchemist
Kimi ni Todoke

2011 (animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-11-30/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-volume/2011)

One Piece
Naruto
Fullmetal Alchemist
Kimi ni Todoke
Hunter x Hunter
Saint Young Men
Nodame Cantabile

2012 (animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-12-02/50-top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-volume/2012)

One Piece
Naruto
Kimi ni Todoke
Hunter x Hunter

2013 (animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-01/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-volume/2013)

One Piece
Naruto
Kimi ni Todoke
Attack on Titan
Hunter x Hunter

2014 (animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-01-02/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-volume-2014/.82827)

One Piece
Naruto
Attack on Titan
Kimi ni Todoke

2015 (only first 6 months of 2015 available)
(animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-05-31/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-volume-2015/.88772)

One Piece
Naruto
Attack on Titan

That's a whopping 9 series over the last 7 and a half years.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
NikamiYuhara wrote:
So happy Orange is number 1 I expected it but that's insane...I hope the physical volumes come to America I really want to add them to my collection

Seven Seas licensed the series earlier this year, they plan on releasing two complete omnibus collections, the first volume drops January 26, and the second will drop May 31.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see Orange's final volume sitting on top of the chart. Even if it doesn't stay there, a nice way for it to go out. And, to add to that, volumes 1-4 also made the top 50! Only volumes 5 and 2 haven't hit 500k, but all the others have hit it or have gone over. Would be nice if all the volumes end up hitting 500k.

I've already out the 2 omnibus collections from Seven Seas on pre-order. A little sad that the releases are so far apart...only because I'm going to wait until I have both volumes before I read it. From the little I know of the story, I don't think it is one that I could start in January, and then have to wait until May to read it off.

I'm a sucker for stuff that involves time travel, and it'll eat away at me if I only read half the series. I'll end up reading it all once I have it all...and probably will be done in one sitting. Laughing
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
NikamiYuhara wrote:

That's the effect of the live action movie adaptation, even though it hasn't come out yet. Also, I read the last volume, and despite the build-up, the ending was rather... Meh. Mediocre. Disappointing.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Warms my heart to see Orange doing well. I quite liked the ending; as someone whose been through spoiler[mild depression], I thought it summed up the feeling of spoiler[getting stuck in your own head] pretty well, as well as the cathartic release of spoiler[breaking free]. Smile
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:09 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Warms my heart to see Orange doing well. I quite liked the ending; as someone whose been through spoiler[mild depression], I thought it summed up the feeling of spoiler[getting stuck in your own head] pretty well, as well as the cathartic release of spoiler[breaking free]. Smile

I guess I feel that it should have spoiler[shown the future of the new timeline.] I've also been through clinical depression, so yeah, it resonated with me, but I felt that the ending was... incomplete.
NikamiYuhara

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
NikamiYuhara wrote:

That's the effect of the live action movie adaptation, even though it hasn't come out yet. Also, I read the last volume, and despite the build-up, the ending was rather... Meh. Mediocre. Disappointing.

I found it interesting and way better than expected
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:35 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

I guess I feel that it should have spoiler[shown the future of the new timeline.] I've also been through clinical depression, so yeah, it resonated with me, but I felt that the ending was... incomplete.

Fair enough. I wouldn't be opposed to that, but to me, this was very efficient storytelling, in that it had a conflict, resolved it, and then ended--no more, no less (kind of the opposite of what we get in YA lit nowadays, with far-reaching epilogues). I could definitely see why others would want more, though. ^^
gustave154

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:14 am Reply with quote
One Punch Man anime boost is very good and I'm sure it would reach 1 million by this year. If it continues at this rate we might see a Season 2 announcement...
Danmyao

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
Very good see One Punch-man with 9 volumes in these sale ranking
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
claims people don't read Bleach anymore, latest volume sales 94,626 lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1