• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Beautiful Bones: Sakurako’s Investigation (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
AKS-Jack wrote:
Does this series *need* an antagonist though?

Sure. Every Holmes needs a Moriarty.

Anyways, I like that this episode focused on Yuriko. Would have been more interesting if Sakurako was completely absent from the episode and she solved the mystery herself, though.

Of course nothing was ever going to happen between Yuriko and Shoutaro, but I don't really like how they set up the teacher to be her consolation prize. There's that other guy who likes her already.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

I think Sakurako has a sweet tooth for cakes and pastries~

Eh, this week's episode felt slow with the bones analysis stuff. One thing that was interesting is about her past again that is somewhat focused discretly. Oh and the part where they talked about her cat may have triggered some painful memories for Sakurako.

I think this opens up a case as well for the remainder of the season and perhaps we'll see in depth about Sakurako's past...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
From watching the first episode i can say this anime is very well animated and has a nice art style................but damn maybe I'm just weird but I don't find ANYTHING cute about a girl hugging a [expletive] skull as if it were her favorite barbie doll. I get the feeling that the anime WANTS me to feel that way but it's played up for comedic effect quite often so I'm not really sure.

I like the "Sherlock Holmes" nature of the show but before I watch more of it I'd like to know if Sakurako has magical powers or if her showing the officer how the murdered happened was just a liberty the animators took to make the conversation more interesting. I'm guessing it's the latter for now though since the officer SHOULD have been freaking out lol.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Ah family troubles this episode and we got some background storytelling about Natsuko and Sasaki. Honestly, I think there were a lot of regrets back then. At least Natsuko was able to leave a part of memory (the poem) before she left for good.

But anyways, the show retains its slow pacing while also establishing more connections with Sakurako's past. Not too shabby but I'm not really that impressed either. Shoutarou deserves some points for figuring about Sakurako's position at the school. I think his relationship with Sakurako did improve a bit this episode. I wonder how much more of her past we'll get to see in this season..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:41 am Reply with quote
I had actually been thinking that a high school teacher who was so into bones would have been a perfect idea as her own teacher, that I kind of thought they might have revealed it but put it out of my mind when little hint was shown that she was. But I guess all the hints were there and it explained well the missing cat bones. Was she keeping a distance from him because she was afraid that he would get angry at her? After all she is not so good at telling what others think is right.

I thought that this was a better, more put together episode.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:43 pm Reply with quote
episode eight

Regardless whether Shoutarou ever gets what he wants out of his relationship with Sakurako or not, it was nice to see them bonding over something.

Also, it's interesting to watch Shoutarou's detective sense developing. Here's hoping he plays a larger part in solving future mysteries.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

So we got more focus for Yuriko's past...this show sure loves her.

Sakurako has an interesting choice for paintings. Her story this episode was somewhat interesting as well. Makes sense that Shoutarou's grandma would request pudding to buy time so to avoid him seeing her in pain. The truth hurts...

This episode also reveals perhaps a little more about Sakurako's past yet again but I think it's time for her to make a move. I think the pacing should pick up a bit next time. The butterfly imagery at the end looks symbolic.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
episode nine

This episode really went too far in the vein of having everything explained directly rather than being evident naturally from the scenes themselves. This has been a recurring element for the series but I haven't felt it really go far enough to dampen my enjoyment before this episode. The twin stories were sweet but just so poorly delivered.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Definitely one of the more serious episodes for this series this week. We got a case about three classmates named Futaba, Mitoe, and Hitoe where the latter two originally had a fallout that involved a guy they had relationships with. And not only that, the episode also shows some self destructive behavior.

What I find more interesting is the artistic movement and the symbolism of the butterflies. Really wondering what they are for. Some of the dialogues especially in the second half of the episode seems a bit cryptic.

As usual, the show retains its taste of sweets, er...I mean Sakurako's sweet tooth.

Somehow though, maybe there's a connection with the case and about Sakurako as well.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
episode ten

Hey, more slow development of the overarching plot! I like that Isozaki is being used as a mirror of Sakurako. Our villain seems to prey on the at-risk and that there's a number of hints that this same villain is connected back to the death of Soutaro. Given all this, I suspect that Sakurako was not a very good older sister (it's obvious to see how that could have been the case - it's clear she's making a conscious effort with Shoutaro), that she deeply regrets this, and that her rant about Isozaki in the restaurant was a moment of self-reflection whether or not she's directly aware of it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Honestly, this is one of my favourite episodes since maybe the one with the little girl, and I think it is because it feels like interesting characters. We have this mix of a very strict well off family, and another who is not, and her family life is also awful, and I think in real ways too. There was that bit with the "not our sort" that yeah was pretty sickening especially something you see in real life. And then you see that her home with mother who is probably not the best influence but still probably trying from how she ended up.

And we had this bit with how she is not exactly helpful, but she is probably in great need of some kindness. It kind of feels interesting character wise.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

For some reason this felt slightly rushed.

Sphenoider's reveal was an interesting one though imo as he is like the de-facto antagonist of this series. The case itself this week definitely got dark between those three girls. I wasn't actually expecting Sakurako to be targeted near the end until Shoutarou jumped in to save her. At the same time, I think Sakurako cutting ties with him is probably a bad idea. Just a guess but Shoutarou will probably get himself involved again in the climax of the final episode. Looking forward to seeing how that will go.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
episode eleven

I really liked Sakurako in this episode. The storytelling was rushed but the character made it work. Her callous single-mindedness allowed her to plow through a sensitive mystery like a train all to find the one little thing she was after. It works all the better since almost all the characters there were equal parts sympathetic and terrible.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much Sakurako sucks at people. She could not see that breaking away someone's support after all that would lead the girl to snap and try and kill her. If Sakurako acts like that around unstable people then she is a threat to him. Still all the more reason she needs him.
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
What's the science teacher's deal anyway? Why does he feel that much responsible for 3 students?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4