• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Web Manga Anthropomorphizes Girls Out Of Cigarettes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
At first based on the cover art I thought the girls were the actual size of cigarettes and were smoked like cigarettes. Almost like those anti-smoking commercials they have on TV now.

But if you have got to poison yourself slowly, this appears to be a great way to do it. Wonder if there are any side benefits of these smoking women.
BlueCatMage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Good lord, there's nothing but puns here in the comments. Anime hyper
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
It gives cancer sticks a whole new meaning.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I shouldn't be surprised but... I'm surprised. Although, the concept is kinda hilarious. I wonder if the MC will be one of those people who smokes a pack a day...
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I definitely don't expect this to sell in North America because advertising cigarettes alone is illegal but this is just taking it too far into the weird category.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Yeah, I definitely don't expect this to sell in North America because advertising cigarettes alone is illegal but this is just taking it too far into the weird category.

Really? Advertising cigarettes alone is illegal in Mexico? I had no idea...
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:

I don't know about people actually buying it, but I think they could probably legally sell it. I'm pretty sure I've seen commercials for those vaper things (sorry, don't smoke or have any interest in alternatives) and from the first 2 chapters, it seems she is more akin to that than a cigarette (well that crossed with a sex-bot). The manga actually says cigarettes are banned for health reasons in 20XX so I don't think you could really argue that the manga is promoting smoking actual cigarettes. There is no branding that I saw, and it doesn't really come off as advertisement but some really weird story.

In fact, it seems so far (granted I didn't thoroughly read both chapters) you could entirely replace the cigarette replacement robot idea with just a sexbot and everything would work just fine. The manga is pretty much using "smoking" as a replacement for making out / having sex. But again she isn't really a cigarette and vapor alternatives seem to be fine to advertise.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
" The manga tells the strange tale cigarettes in robotic human female form who expel tobacco from their kisses, much like regular cigarettes would. The male main character, who has never kissed anyone before, slowly adjusts his life around his new cigarette girl and new-found "addiction."
That sounds like something that I would like to avoid, I've heard of the kiss of death but this is Ridiculous! Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2