• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AntiMagic Academy "The 35th Test Platoon" (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Memo to Takeru: man up.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

It became clear pretty quickly in the episode that Suginami's personality quirks were more than an unusual trait and actually the tip hidden character. She is a designed, possibly artificial person made for research. Not sure how quickly the show expected the audience to figure out, but I quickly saw it coming when they mentioned her with alchemy early in the episode, and it did not feel like it tried to hold the audience's hand with the revelation.

I hope that we find out that her daughter is actually alive. I also enjoyed how it took it in the mother direction regardless of looking like a child herself after she was talking about the concept earlier.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:17 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Memo to Takeru: man up.

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll man up and do the right thing by showing self restraint and turning down her advances. After all, a real man wouldn't be the type of pigheaded scumbag who just sleeps with any girl for no reason without the proper emotions behind it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Truly miserable animation this week, like they all forgot how to draw perspective properly.

So that's why Suginami's always grabbing Usagi's boobs? She has no moral compass and "she likes things that stick out"?
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

ALL IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE.
Well we didn't get a sex scene and obviously, I'm not surprised because this airs on TV and that would of just been awkward as hell.

The episode felt rushed again although I have to say that the amount of effort for the OST put into the episode/series is neat. Mari saves the day! Oh wait, everyone did their part.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
It's like tons of scenes are missing. Kusanagi gets drugged and then next he has already found where Suginami is and proceeds to join the battle. Usagi is avoiding explosions and next she is controlling a railgun that just happened to be lying around. They are skipping so much that the episode ends up looking almost like a compilation episode.

Honestly from what I've seen, this could have been a good show. But with pacing like this it's impossible to get invested into the story if the story is over just as soon as it begins.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
yea, this whole "cover each girl's story arc" thing hasn't really impressed me too much. It feels as if they're all lacking a certain unification that could make the whole better. I think they're trying to get us invested in each character and the team in a larger sense but with the amount of time they used to cover all the girls' arcs, I'm not particularly optimistic about where the rest of the story will head if it's a single cour show. The pacing has been this show's biggest weakness and it hasn't improved since my comment 4 episodes ago.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

So Suginami largely went to save her sister. It did manage to make me care about it, to feel sorry for her sister and hope that she can save her despite how she might have appeared up till now. Sad that she was not able to save her. On the side she did find out that her daughter was alive. Also she can turn into a dark elf, that was pretty cool.

The pacing has been a problem in the show that it feels like they have been trying to fit in something that there is way not enough time to do. I would maybe like to compare or contrast it to show that turned out no so good which was Sky Wizard Academy. Look at that you can see that there are a number of things this show actually does pretty good, and that it is being let down by others.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
episode eight

The farther we go in to the series, the more I find it odd that none of the characters seem to question how insanely powerful Haunted is. He seems to be more powerful than just his weapon would explain. This an irritating trait for someone who keeps showing up and making a mess of things but no apparent curiosity from our protagonists. This gets even weirder when I think about Haunted's personality because I get the impression he'd explain it himself if anybody bothered to ask.

I hope Suginami's dark elf powers come back in future episodes and this isn't just forgotten about after it isn't a direct plot point anymore.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9 or maybe 9.5?

Idk but this one felt like an OVA with obligatory beach and swimsuits. Everyone got drunk as well including cute Lapis!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
episode nine

I'm a little annoyed. A comedic, fanservicey sidestory is fine and all, but with how rushed everything else has been it feels disappointing to be taking the time out for this.

Still, the episode was pretty amusing, especially that underwater conversation.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
I'm a little annoyed.

1. Tepid fan service. Even Takeru is forced to say "that isn't sexy in the slightest."
2. Constant, repetitive pettanko jokes are not funny.
3. Otori being suddenly incompetent at everything is not funny or interesting.
4. Otori, a veteran of undercover operations suddenly cannot control herself. You wonder how she even managed to put on the dress.
5. Drunk Magic skit so lame that even the characters forgot about the instant it was over.
6. Barfing is not funny.
7. Barfing again is not funny.

If this was a race to the bottom I would say they nailed it.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I agree with HelloBucket. With my views of the pacing, I'm disappointed that they allocated resources and time for a fanservice episode instead of one of the previous arcs. Other than that I did enjoy the episode and enjoyed the screentime given to Lapis. But other than that, this really didn't improve my enjoyment of the show. Things did get tiring witht the repetitive beast size jokes, too.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:43 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Idk but this one felt like an OVA with obligatory beach and swimsuits.

I had the same thought. This felt too much like something saved for an OVA where it is just characters going wild, than with line with how the pace has gone so far.

At this point I can say that I do like a few of the characters on my own tastes: Usagi may have some childish elements, but I feel like she is strangely adorkable that I like her spunk despite delegated as the "moe" one. Suginami is interesting, I like the role of being up on everyone, even more when she joins in, and really liked her disdain of being forced into the heat. And I like in general Mari's character type, yes I like a flat character but I hate that the show has to keep using that as some joke. It just does not feel like a respectable way to use a character.

What this episode did finally provide that had been lacking was some Lapis. She has been so unutilised as a character after what the show introduced her as, it feels like this is the first time we have had impact of her taking human form.

The underwater bit was fun. And despite my dislike of the fanservice thing in general for the episode, I liked that there were some tentacles. If you are going to do a cliché beach episode, you better use all of the unnecessary tropes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
1. Tepid fan service. Even Takeru is forced to say "that isn't sexy in the slightest."
2. Constant, repetitive pettanko jokes are not funny.
3. Otori being suddenly incompetent at everything is not funny or interesting.
4. Otori, a veteran of undercover operations suddenly cannot control herself. You wonder how she even managed to put on the dress.
5. Drunk Magic skit so lame that even the characters forgot about the instant it was over.
6. Barfing is not funny.
7. Barfing again is not funny.

If this was a race to the bottom I would say they nailed it.

Gods, that was downright painful. When they moved on from the drunk crap I breathed a sigh of relief, until they got to the beach and the episode just flushed itself down the toilet completely. It was so unbearably stupid I had to skip through it to find out what was causing summer. Even then, they left me wondering about the only interesting thing in the entire episode: what did they do with the magic squid? Kill it? Relocate it? Eat it? Strand it on the beach to die the slow painful death I wished on this episode and then leave it to rot in the sun as its corpse is picked apart by scavengers?

::barfs, following the trend::
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7