• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Prominent Animator Shares Anecdote About Encounter with Police

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:10 am Reply with quote
When you learn you're in the presence of a GOAT that is working on a GOAT anime.
anddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:32 am Reply with quote
Police officer is a fan of FMA. This world isn't so bad after all.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:00 am Reply with quote
Police try to converse with people to make sure that they're in the right neighborhoods and stuff. Still funny that the officer was a fan of FMA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:20 am Reply with quote
Do note they treat anime as a serious thing there.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:27 am Reply with quote
Aww, that's extremely adorable! Anime smile
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Wha, no autograph of selfie was asked? Cool
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I won't detail all the circumstances, but I was once surrounded by a dozen or so Japanese police officers who suspected I was up to something fishy. But after talking with a very polite elderly officer for a bit who asked for my id and about my circumstances, they all left. Very polite, but also a bit intimidating (thankfully they were very professional/careful about it).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
It says in his Encyclopedia entry that he played a little girl in a live-action Lone Wolf & Cub. Unless he was mistaken for someone of a similar name, I don't see how this works.
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I won't detail all the circumstances, but I was once surrounded by a dozen or so Japanese police officers who suspected I was up to something fishy. But after talking with a very polite elderly officer for a bit who asked for my id and about my circumstances, they all left. Very polite, but also a bit intimidating (thankfully they were very professional/careful about it).

'Won't go into detail' lol. You realize you've made everyone want to know what the circumstances were now right!?

Also, to add onto this, I've heard countless stories about helpful police officers in Japan. They'll even help you with directions if you need help.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
They're polite because they're Japanese. But Japanese police have more power to screw you over even than "shoot first" cops in America, because Japan is in some ways a police state. They can hold you for 21 days just on suspecting you of a crime, and the conviction rate is 98%. You can also be convicted for simply testing positive for drugs. And there is zero-tolerance for drinking and driving, but they don't even have to prove you were drinking... you can effectively be convicted for suspicion of drinking. No matter how polite they are, never let cops in Japan or the US look through anything you own. You don't have to, no matter what they tell you (unless you've been arrested for something else).

That said, it's very unlikely you're going to be gunned down for DWB in Japan.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
It says in his Encyclopedia entry that he played a little girl in a live-action Lone Wolf & Cub. Unless he was mistaken for someone of a similar name, I don't see how this works.
Obviously, it's not him. The red "i" next to that entry details an error report. Click on it and you'll see.

But yeah, Nakamura is one of the best action animators ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAREHhV-F8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGqGuQFaDhw (you can find other videos on Youtube)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Nakamura's amazing

KH91 wrote:
When you learn you're in the presence of a GOAT that is working on a GOAT anime.

Yup lol Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1