• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuki Kajiura Composes Music for Boku Dake ga Inai Machi TV Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Yuki Kaijura to compose the music huh? Sounds interesting. I'm pretty interested to see how they will adapt this tbh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pandoraking

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
does this means kalafina?.. was expecting something like aimer/amazarashi
otagirl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Premise sounds like the American TV series Tru Calling.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
It seems like A-1 has been animating a lot of the Noitamina shows.

It also seems like there have been a lot of mystery/murder oriented shows on Noitamina lately. Ranpo, Perfect Insider, and this makes three in a row. I wonder if that's just coincidence, or if they have noticed a higher viewership for those types of series.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

It also seems like there have been a lot of mystery/murder oriented shows on Noitamina lately. Ranpo, Perfect Insider, and this makes three in a row. I wonder if that's just coincidence, or if they have noticed a higher viewership for those types of series.

Aniplex pretty much seems to have sole control over the block as their secondary one to the Saturday 12-1 PM one which I find really disappointing as they're such a commercial money first outfit that I feel is exactly the wrong kind of fit for what the block is supposed to be about in expressing ideas and hitting up audiences that are normally underserved by anime. I hate how they've tried to turn it into a block to serve their own interests and how we've gotten questionable works out of it that reek more and more of the kind of commercial stuff they'd normally show on the Sat 12 PM slot like Guilty Crown, World Conquest Zvezda and Saekano.

IMO A-1 makes one of three kinds of shows. LN inspired battle harem swords and magic stuff in the vein of SAO, their biggest adaptation hit to date, teen oriented and angst filled melodrama in the vein of AnoHana their biggest original hit to date and the occasional murder/mystery type thing where you seem to get the most variety and experimentation out of them but which usually nobody ends up liking because of plodding pacing and unclear direction.

Anyway if Kajiura was going to compose for something new it was pretty much going to be something Aniplex produced since I do believe that she hasn't worked for a single thing not made by them so far this decade and she's clearly one of their favorite go to's for drawing up publicity. Personally I've never really seen the big deal about her, like she's okay and gets used on a lot of big name hit franchises which seems to be what has put her into this category of all time great Japanese composers like a lot of people seem to think, that's about it. Nothing I've heard from her has ever really impressed me all that much though, she'll have some good tracks and isn't a bad composer but like eh...nothing special. Confused At this point I basically just see her as person who Aniplex is obsessed with using that isn't Hiroyuki Sawano their other favorite.
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Ranpo wasn't done by A-1 it was done by Studio Lerche. I do get your point tho
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Really excited for this. A-1 been doing a lot better stuff lately (YLIA, Anthem, Perfect Insider, this and the other January show all in just over a year). Hoping this is a good sign
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh snap! This just got better than it already was.

DEM LIPS! Cool
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
Really excited for this. A-1 been doing a lot better stuff lately (YLIA, Anthem, Perfect Insider, this and the other January show all in just over a year). Hoping this is a good sign

All of those kind of fall under the teen drama/youth anthem label I mentioned though. It kind of seems like about the only thing they're particularly good at, shame it's just not my kind of genre and I think it's a little overdone and overwrought of late. I know Japan loves that sort of thing but frankly I don't even think they do it all that well be it live action or anime or whatever.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
pandoraking wrote:
does this means kalafina?.. was expecting something like aimer/amazarashi

This is an Aniplex work and Aniplex is apart of Sony and Kalafina is under the Sony label so good chance.
mierin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:

Anyway if Kajiura was going to compose for something new it was pretty much going to be something Aniplex produced since I do believe that she hasn't worked for a single thing not made by them so far this decade and she's clearly one of their favorite go to's for drawing up publicity. Personally I've never really seen the big deal about her, like she's okay and gets used on a lot of big name hit franchises which seems to be what has put her into this category of all time great Japanese composers like a lot of people seem to think, that's about it. Nothing I've heard from her has ever really impressed me all that much though, she'll have some good tracks and isn't a bad composer but like eh...nothing special. Confused At this point I basically just see her as person who Aniplex is obsessed with using that isn't Hiroyuki Sawano their other favorite.

I don't know if it's correct to say Aniplex is 'obsessed' with using Kajiura to compose for their anime. The last anime series she composed for was SAO 2 in 2014. She has not composed for any series this year as far as I can tell.

Though due to her involvement with Kalafina, we still hear her songs as OP/ED in anime. And in that sense, then yes there will be tie-ups with Aniplex produced series, since Kalafina is under Sony Music Japan.
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Most likely coincidence, unless they had clairvoyance. Both Ranpo and Perfect Insider were announced on November 2014. Boku Dake ga Inai Machi was announced before Ranpo aired in June 2015.

Personally I've never really seen the big deal about her, like she's okay and gets used on a lot of big name hit franchises which seems to be what has put her into this category of all time great Japanese composers like a lot of people seem to think, that's about it. Nothing I've heard from her has ever really impressed me all that much though, she'll have some good tracks and isn't a bad composer but like eh...nothing special. At this point I basically just see her as person who Aniplex is obsessed with using that isn't Hiroyuki Sawano their other favorite.

I'm a fan of both of their work, so I am glad they get steady work. I totally understand your position, though. But that's how it is with business, it's usually better to work with people you've had success with.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:28 am Reply with quote
Personally I've never really seen the big deal about her, like she's okay and gets used on a lot of big name hit franchises which seems to be what has put her into this category of all time great Japanese composers like a lot of people seem to think, that's about it.

Well, there are the soundtracks to the "Girls with Guns" anime (Noir, Madlax, El Cazador de La Bruja), plus .hack//SIGN, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, Pandora Hearts, Le Portrait de Petit Cossette... (both the vocal and instrumental compositions).

One example "Kioku no Mori" Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles Tokyo Revelations ED performed live https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7s6SZQ9SRQ

Plus, how many anime music composers can put on a 5 hour long concert?
https://canta-per-me.net/live-events/2013-yk10-kaji-fest/
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote
Ah, I'm really looking forward to this. I kind of hope that, what some who are reading the manga have said, turns out to be correct. Many have been saying that the manga feels like it could be ending soon, so I hope that would mean the anime can adapt the whole story.

Still, I love me some time travel, so I'm definitely going to be giving this show a shot.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:35 am Reply with quote
Ooh, even more interested in seeing this now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1