• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Utawarerumono: The False Faces

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chito895

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I actually don't have any problems with the slice of life part of this show, pretty much because I really like that genre and the characters are some of the most likeable of the season (fujoshi girl is awesome, but Kuon is best girl anyway). I'm pretty sure these first 12 episodes will be all about setting up the characters and possible antagonists, so I really don't mind waiting for the plot to start moving. I'll be pissed, though, if nothing really good happens afterwards, but at least most of these 8 episodes have been really enjoyable.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

And I don't think I ever called it an eroge, I said it was "part eroge," (and part RPG and part RTS, that kinda thing.)

Perhaps, but the post directly before Megiddo's (by the person you quoted) did so presumably they were responding to that.
margibso

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting a little peeved at this shows lack of momentum. As last episode showed you don't need action or a physical threat to create audience engagement. We still don't know where this show is going or what anyone's motivations are.
The comparison to spice and wolf is interesting; I'll have to go back and watch it, but as charming as Kuon and Haku are they don't have the unreal chemistry that Holo and Kraft had which was able to carry the show all on it's own.
chex mix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
And this episode was forever after known as "the episode where everyone in fantasy-ville was apparently a fujoshi, and nothing of consequence happened again on this show."

It's only amusing to a certain point. And honestly, I'd have a lot more tolerance for this episode if we hadn't already had the same exact episode two weeks ago. At the very least, they need to mix the slice of life bits together, so it's not so episodic and mind-numbing. It shouldn't be too hard to pull the narrative into a more through-constructed thread, seriously.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Takin' off for this week (which was pretty easy because it was another weird little ball o' nothin) and next week will have a writeup of two episodes.
McMillan&Wife

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:00 am Reply with quote
On the review for episode 7 stating that there are 11 generals, not 10. There are only 10. The one with the mask Haku got scared of is the first one in the lineup of them that was shown called strong arm vurai.

I enjoyed episode 8 btw, it was nice learning about Ukon/Oshutoru. The ending was good at setting up that meeting with the old man too.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
So I went back and watched the original show after reading about episode 6 and what a callback it was. Then I went back and watched episode 6 again.

Man, what a cool callback! (I do actually mean that sincerely)

For all that the first episode review put a lot of qualifiers on the first show, I thought it was actually much better than I was expecting. I was expecting some shameless fanservice, and it was mercifully light on that. Ururu wasn't the most compelling lead character and Hakuoro wasn't the most interesting personality out there, but the story was fast-paced enough and the show had enough endearing side characters to keep me from caring that much. And hey, Ururu might be a stamped-out sweet and kind female character archetype, but at least she is an entirely competent one.

By the end of the show, I was really wanting to see more of Touka and Karura, so here's to hoping that they get the chance to knock heads and swing comically over sized swords at some point in False Faces!

For that matter, here's to hoping that stuff starts happening in this show soon! At this point there's basically no chance that I avoid it though, since I have to stick with it if for no other reason than to try to catch more crazy berserker tiger/hawk girl badassery.
McMillan&Wife

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Kind of salty in the review.

I liked episode 8 but not 9.

In the game, Haku wasnt supposed to meet Kamyu and Aruruu until after the first war arc.

It seems they are pushing all the overall plot related episodes to the second cour.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Man, you know I don't hate Utawarerumono: Adventures In Bath Scenes, Yakitori, And BL Scrolls, but part of me is hoping that at some point it turns into something more...
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
nice joke by having one of the few girls who gives oral in the first game tell kuon to wash her teeth. taht will make for a decent gif. (insert another comment of still waiting for the actual action to start Sad)
margibso

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
Man, you know I don't hate Utawarerumono: Adventures In Bath Scenes, Yakitori, And BL Scrolls, but part of me is hoping that at some point it turns into something more...

The series lacks pacing. It's like a series that is made up entirely of breather episodes. I'd be fine with these types of episodes if they were inserted between arcs, but so far there isn't any meat to the series.

maximilianjenus wrote:
nice joke by having one of the few girls who gives oral in the first game tell kuon to wash her teeth. taht will make for a decent gif. (insert another comment of still waiting for the actual action to start Sad)

Lalalalalalala, We don't talk about THOSE scenes unless they produce a major character for the sequel, that's the standard.

Last edited by margibso on Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
I liked how it showed how much Haku understands Kuon, even if there was also a big part of him being oblivious to her thoughts. THey both even chose the same destination that she would not go to.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:36 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I liked how it showed how much Haku understands Kuon, even if there was also a big part of him being oblivious to her thoughts. THey both even chose the same destination that she would not go to.

Yeah, I picked up on that, too. That Aruru had clearly grown up physically but not so much mentally was also not lost on me.

While I found episode 9 cute enough to entertain me, I do also share Hope's frustration with how much the series is beating around the bush. It's feeling more and more like the spate of early '2000s series which muddled around for most of their first half before finally settling into their plot. (Particular examples of this are Kiddy Grade and Witch Hunter Robin, but there were definitely others.) Most such series did eventually develop something good, which is why I'm willing to be patient with this one. The propensity towards split-cour series and series approved only one season at a time had made that pattern obsolete, so I find its reemergence here particularly curious.

And on a different point, I have to think that Ukon's comments about how Haku's observations mirrored his own (on the "they're not a threat as long as they aren't messed with" comment about Aruru and Kamyu) wasn't an idle one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote
[quote="Key"]
DuskyPredator wrote:
And on a different point, I have to think that Ukon's comments about how Haku's observations mirrored his own (on the "they're not a threat as long as they aren't messed with" comment about Aruru and Kamyu) wasn't an idle one.

You have to look beneath the surface of the seeming slice of life antics that the show has given us so far, but I think the shape of the coming conflict is becoming quite clear.

Relations between Tusukuru and Yamato will start off positive, but at some point the Tusukuru ambassadors will grow irritated at Yamato's lack of luxurious ofuro facilities and declare a righteous war to spread the gospel of bathing scenes. Meanwhile the Yamato counterattack will consist of getting Tusukuru hooked on their secret yakitori recipe and the opening of a chain of burrito restaurants in major Tusukuru population centers.

Tusukuru will win of course because Yamato made the mistake of having most of their generals be male instead of Tusukuru's harem powerhouse, and the laws of anime are quite clear about who triumphs in that situation. Also because Touka and Karura are just that awesome. And then Haku something-something sciencey stuff and then demons.

I'm looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:33 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering if there's actually going to be any actual warfare in this series or if it's just going to be basically a slice of life series with a bunch of references to the original anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 16