• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Garo: Crimson Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
This one was watchable. It at least had a point in setting up this character. Ad stated in the review,it was a pretty bland class difference romance, mixed with a hilarious black and white portrayal of the rich and poor. Seimei, was extremely obnoxious this episode(why does the show continue to kill it's tone with it's humor?). The fight at least made me laugh this week,"look out,that monster is throwing rags at us!".

I agree, Seimei was particularly horrible this ep. Taking things from desiccated corpses in the street, insisting on taking Kosode's hair ornament, and asking her for food when Kosode was obviously less well off than Seimei. She's not Sex Mom, she's Hoarder Mom!

As for her leaving her upper class background, I'm betting that there's a horror related incident behind that move.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I call Kosode's poverty “comically extreme” because she appears to live in Corpse Town. This section of town is so poor that a bunch of people starved to death on the streets outside. Nobody's bothered to clean them up for so long that they've ended up totally desiccated.

There was one body on the street, covered up, so probably no one even noticed he was dead yet. The body wasn't dessicated, it was an old man who had starved to death. Starved bodies look wrinkled and dried out because they're pretty much just skin and bones. His baldness was probably due to age, malnutrition and parasites, prior to death. The other people were just homeless folks sleeping on the street. So I don't see how one starved corpse constitutes a comical exaggeration of extreme poverty.

The "I don't have a name" line was a bit exaggerated, but I guess it was supposed to show not poverty but isolation (as well as meaning she was a peasant and had no family name of any value). Her parents were long dead, and she'd been surviving on her own with no one to call her by name for so long she forgot it. I kinda doubt that's a real thing that happens, although I suppose social isolation coupled with psychological trauma could cause such a thing.

I think my only real problem with this episode, besides Semei's greed and callousness, was how she knew the cup was hidden under the mat.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I was actually enjoying this episode until the last few minutes. Facial scar guy was actually doing something pretty evil that lasting effects(some actually tension for once!). They spent the episode building up this strong this horror is and how it had to sealed away. And then Raikou,one-shots it immediately Rolling Eyes. These fights are more one-sided than the ones in Steven Seagal films! And then it ends with a corny scene with more cringe-worthy dialogue(Take a shot everyone time someone utters the term darkness). I get what it's going for so far,but it's so black and white about it for me to get into. That and the characters are so one-note.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6
Quote:
Letting go of her desire to be with her children, she decides to die peacefully rather than endanger them by accepting Itsumaden.

I had a different take on that scene. Rather than deciding to reject the offer, it seemed to me that she just got distracted by seeing her children's smiles and died while lovingly focused on that instead of the offer of the voices in her head.

This is starting to remind me of what I hated about Hell Girl. Desperate, abuse people who were at the end of their rope with no way out still got sent to hell just because they couldn't bear it any longer. Here they become Horrors because they don't passively accept all the injustice and oppression they suffer under. That's messed up.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching the series and for some reason it's taking me a bit to get into. Considering that I haven't finished the first series despite it's stylizations I enjoyed what it had to offer.

Garo Crimson Moon almost feels like a slight repeat of the first series. But to say that I'd be wrong considering setting and story elements. The only thing I think it has going for it is style quality. It's not bad, I'm starting to get into it.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Finally some character motivation for Seimei! It only took 7 episodes for that. I thought it was pretty bland but it's something at least. I still don't know what facial scar man's motive is. I need a bit more than he's evil and he get's off from the darkness(kinda like Palpatine in that regard,except shittier and less entertaining). The fight was more tension-less video game nonsense.Only difference this week was with,Raikou turning his sword into a bigger sword to one-shot the Horror!(Would it kill them at all to change up the formula just a bit?).

At least Raikou is going to get some much needed characterization next week. He's still just generic shonen guy at this point(along with a bland performance).
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Seimei's mom or dad were Makai Alchemists. Her grandfather was the one who taught her the Alchemist stuff. Maybe they dabbled in it like the grandfather but I believe they were first and foremost onmyouji. Perhaps their inability to defeat the horrors stemmed from that and not Alchemists being unable to defeat horrors. In fact, little Seimei is shown beating an albeit small horror, though in the show she generally leaves the horrors to Raikou.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Seimei does the same thing to her mom, turning her into a giant magical war chariot, because Seimei is fantastic. She then uses it to beat up Douman's evil mining equipment.

That right there: the spirit of Garo in a nutshell.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I love backstory eps, they answer questions and add to the characters, but this was pretty bland. The most amusing part was Raikou riding Shiki-nyaa like a magic carpet.
I don't like the picture they're painting of Seimei. So, she's a thief, a hoarder, and what she's doing to Raikou is probably more in her best interest than his, making their relationship manipulative at best and emotionally abusive at worst.
My biggest question is what Kintoki's deal is. We know how Seimei and Raikou met and why Raikou sticks around, but we know nothing about Kintoki. I doubt the show will do anything interesting with him, but the potentials there.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
this episode was pretty good, the quality still ruins some moments, but it's nowhere as abd as the first episodes (taht damn bowling horror).

Quote:
He should've known better than to take home a piece of the Horror that he encountered on the road,

quality like this scene, he looked like he was drunk skipping or something, which kinda ruined the tension for me.

Quote:
Succumbing to his greed/lust, Daddy agreed.
also, fear, the consequences of nto doing what his boss says would be pretty bad (woudl probably still get his wife and son killed anyway) judging by their behaviour.

___

about teh overarching conflict, I'd be surprised, based on my previous experience with garo, if it's not just a 3 episodes arc or so at the very end (this is going to be 2 coeur, right?) while the rest of the series is just preparation-
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I would have given this ep a C, maybe a D. Another bland backstory ep. Raikou knew his deal all along, and despite everything (like his mom being dead) he holds absolutely no grudges. He must be a saint. He is an incredibly unrealistic and bland do-gooder, so it fits...on the other hand...

Agent355 wrote:

My biggest question is what Kintoki's deal is. We know how Seimei and Raikou met and why Raikou sticks around, but we know nothing about Kintoki. I doubt the show will do anything interesting with him, but the potentials there.

I was right about Kintoki having a deal! It was stated this episode that he's looked like a kid for years. What is up with him?! Wouldn't it be wild if out of the three main characters, Kintoki had the most interesting backstory?
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
The show has the pieces to be good but everything is executed in the blandest way possible. Another bland backstory this week,which didn't do anything for me since Raikou's only character trait is him wanting to save people while saying cornball lines. The highlight this week was honestly the rocking music during the fight which get's you hyped up,only to be disappointed like usual. It's still setting up for something and none of it's really interesting .It should also be pointed out how visual boring this show is.

The show has no energy and the script has no punch to it. The only person who seems to give a shit is the VA for Seimei,who is doing a great job.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode was dreadfully bad.A lot of cornball dialogue about DARKNESS!(it really feels like a 14-year-old wrote it)Not a smart a idea to do a humor-filled episode when your show does such a poor job at it.I also don't see why they feel the need to have a scene each episode to show how greedy and materialistic Seimei is;with the purpose of it being a shitty attempt at humor. Then you have the reveal that Seimei was the student of the old man who's evil for some reason,which is pretty whatever.(Would've been smart for the guy to have a character of some sort before revealing that). At least they some sort of stakes setup this episode,even though it was bad.

The highlight by far was Raikou punching that little shit Kintouki. A lot of QUALITY animation too this episode,especially the scene when Seimei walks into the house and it's just people talking over a still image for like 10 seconds.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
I just realized that the screenwriter of this show is the same guy who was the head writer for Kamen Rider Decade. This show just has the same problems with Decade. Mysterious characters, cool world that can be explored but the characters never truly get to shine and the world never fully explored. I wanted to like this season so much because I'm a long time Garo fan but this is just dreadfully bad this whole season.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I mean, it's not only the quality, but the quality helps a lot into not taking this seriosuly evil raiko was just so comical I never worried about him; and the person who used to draw seimei's behind in the previous episodes seems to be gone now which means the "erotic" scenes also failed spectacularly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4