• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Made The Big Anime Conventions So Big?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
fathergoat wrote:
I personally love going to Otakon every year just for the spectacle of it all.

Yeah, that's a lot of what keeps me coming back to Acen every year. For me the expense and travel time are worth it just to be immersed in such a vibrant environment, see what everyone's come up with for costumes and experience first-hand how much fun people are having with a hobby I love. It helps keep me young at heart, and it's just not the same seeing shots of cosplayers on a Web site. (But then, I'm also one of those people who's still firmly willing to pay for the theater experience when it comes to seeing movies, too.) More mixed 'cons - like Gen Con, for instance - I go to expressly for the events.

To put it another way, many of the times I've gone to Acen I've been leery because of the cost or time it took and/or because I wasn't sure if there were enough events there to interest me. But not once have I ever walked away from the 'con regretting that I had come.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
REDOG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Man, reading this answerman and thread make me wanna fly to america right now.

If matters are this friendly and open in american cons, not to mention the quantity and variety! not to mention conversation depth!!

In the boring clogged hole middle eastern state i live in, everything anime related, not to mention anime community related, is almost dead in a vampire coffin with locks, garlics, fatima's hand and david stars on top.

Just saying THUMB'S UP U.S. OTAKUS!

To read and drool from it all Shocked
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:04 am Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
For Anime Midwest (which takes place at the same hotel and convention hall as ACen, but during the 4th of July weekend), we had two different issues with autographs. The first year I went (2013), all autographs were being charged, whether or not you brought your own items. However, this was not listed in ANY sort of policy or signage, and I didn't find out for sure until I was five people away from getting my Fairy Tail set signed by Todd Haberkorn. I heard about it as a rumor earlier in the evening, but we were told by staff members it was just a rumor. Luckily, because of that rumor, I had $20 in my pocket so the girl behind me and myself could get autographs (she didn't know either and didn't bring any funds with her; after spending three hours in line with me and dealing with the same crap I did, I wasn't about to let her walk away empty-handed!).

There's a VERY good chance that I'm the girl you gave money to xD (I was dressed as Levy from Fairy Tail if that rings a bell) If that was you, you were totally my hero that day!

But that whole thing was actually a miscommunication issue. I spoke to the VP of the con afterwards. One guest started charging for autographs when he wasn't supposed to, thinking that he wasn't getting paid by the con for some reason. The con covers the cost of autographs so that the attendees can get them for free. The other VAs heard about that, and assumed they were supposed to charge too. It was all sorted out and no one was charging by Saturday, but the majority of people who got autographs on Friday were already so upset they didn't come back.

o.o *It's A Small World After All plays in the background*
Yep! Has to be you... you were the only Levy cosplayer I ran into that entire con! Ha... it's actually kinda funny that we "run" into each other on here too!

I never actually heard that part so it is cool that by Saturday the autograph issue was fixed and no one else was being charged... I just didn't know since the only autograph I wanted that year was Todd Haberkorn's. But yeah... I'm sure it really ruined a lot of people's con experience. Well... besides the other issues the con had that year (the crazy lines and seemingly lack of control, the overcrowded and tiny dealer's hall, registration being in a tiny room and taking forever, and so on...). So happy that they've now moved into the convention hall as well; the con is so much easier to navigate through now!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:04 am Reply with quote
The simplest answer I could give would be "by allowing themselves to become general nerd social destinations by tolerating a certain amount of drift from anime purity." Or less charitably, by becoming all-purpose cosplay events with some anime on the side. But as long as they're run by people with some amount of financial sense and social/business acumen who're dedicated to the work, passionate about the fandom, and willing to be responsive to attendee concerns, conventions can have a fair chance of success.

The biggest pitfall I've seen is with conventions that try to be "too much too soon" -- new, untested events sure they'll be smash hits with gangbuster attendance, booking expansive and expensive venues, chasing pricey big-name guests, making grandiose promises to vendors, scheduling themselves head-to-head against established events, and using optimistic debt financing to cover costs. Organizers who do these things tend to have warped views of reality, which leads to intra-staff tension, conflicts with attendees, vendors, and venues, and pointless drama with now-rival existing events. Not surprisingly, events I've seen or heard of that do these things don't last more than a few years.

Paiprince wrote:
Not to come off as racist, but I feel that when a pop culture convention occurs in a location that is predominantly White, the chances of attendees getting the stink eye from locals goes up. Going off on this, most of the biggest conventions are all located in cosmopolitan, diverse areas where weirdness is at least tolerated. God help the man/woman who tries to start an anime convention in deep Mississippi.
I don't know that race tells the whole story. At least according to this informal study, some of the nerdiest states in the US are rural Mountain West states that are predominately white. They don't have super-large pop-culture gatherings, but they are of course sparsely populated. I think the better "stink eye" indicator would be areas that are culturally conservative and traditionalist, which largely describes the Southeast and can encompass locals of non-white races as well.

Though since the study isn't anime-specific, some anime hot spots mentioned by Justin like California, New York, and Texas don't score as well.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
The biggest pitfall I've seen is with conventions that try to be "too much too soon" -- new, untested events sure they'll be smash hits with gangbuster attendance, booking expansive and expensive venues, chasing pricey big-name guests, making grandiose promises to vendors, scheduling themselves head-to-head against established events, and using optimistic debt financing to cover costs. Organizers who do these things tend to have warped views of reality, which leads to intra-staff tension, conflicts with attendees, vendors, and venues, and pointless drama with now-rival existing events. Not surprisingly, events I've seen or heard of that do these things don't last more than a few years.

Would Japan Expo USA be one such example? Their ambitions were very high, and it's clear they're trying to be just as big as the main Japan Expo in Paris, but they didn't seem to realize that the situation in the United States is different, namely that because there are so many big anime conventions in North America that the Japan Expo name doesn't have any worth here. (I'd like to also say that, knowing someone who works for the year-round AX staff, she gets in contact with people from anime conventions around the continent, big and small, including big ones like Otakon and Akon, but the people of Japan Expo USA have never once spoken with her despite it being in the same state.)

I also believe conventions benefit more when they support and respect each other than trying to be competitive. The biggest case is conventions occurring at the same time covering the same topic: There is only one of each guest, and companies would spread themselves pretty thin going to multiple conventions at the same time. If a convention team decides to intentionall pit themselves against another convention in this way, they will devour each other's attendees, potential guests, sponsors (if they take sponsors), and company representatives, because all these people can only pick one convention and decide to go to one and forgo the other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4