• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Where Do The English-Speaking Actors In Japan Come From?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
In the case of Terror in Resonance, the English language usage felt a lot more like it was meant for the Japanese audience to say "Oh, wow, they're speaking English." Nine's (was that her name) performance was the roughest, but I think she was the only one who had to speak in both English and Japanese.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:46 am Reply with quote
For me the best one is from Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (episode 04)
The English operator in Japanese dub totally different than English dub version. They sounds like real English operator should be. Surprised
smatster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:55 am Reply with quote
Is there more to this question? Or did you just read into it and decide to bash English speaking in Anime.

Most people decided to go after actual Dubs which is even another angle.

Part of the problem with English in Japanese Productions is that they are Japanese Productions. Eastern film-making is a different process that even talented actors have to get used to.

Just watch any of the commercials starring Famous celebrities from Hollywood. Tommy Lee Jones probably has the funniest for BOSS Coffee.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
I'm surprised that professional English speakers aren't used more, like Donna Burke:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/drive/the-australian-voice-of-japans-bullet-train-and-metal-gear-solid/6758248.

She also did an outstanding job as Claudia in Silent Hill 3.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
I'm surprised that professional English speakers aren't used more, like Donna Burke:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/drive/the-australian-voice-of-japans-bullet-train-and-metal-gear-solid/6758248.

How about Christelle Ciari?
http://www.aoni.co.jp/actress/ka/christelle-ciari.html

You can't ride a train in Tokyo without hearing her.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:21 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

Ahh, so she's the subway announcer. I really liked her voice, very pleasant, and it sounded like a native English speaker (which surprised me for a moment at first). Kind of miss it now...
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

Thanks, after a google translate I could read:

JR Yamanote Line, JR Joban Line, JR Kashima Line, JR East Japan E-231 system, the Tokyo Metro, Tokyu Meguro Line, Tokyu Toyoko Line, Oimachi Line Tokyu, Tokyu Den-en-toshi Line, romancecar, Saitama high-speed rail, Aichi Loop Line , Kobe subway Gulf line, AzumaYo high-speed rail other, 30 lines or more - Car English
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if it was mentioned here (Way TL;dr at this point) but the most recent example of English voice acting in an original Japanese dub is Everything Becomes F: The Perfect Insider.

It's divisive, but I think it was the best we have gotten in anime in terms of Japanese actors acting in English. Still, poor direction, and you know they have no idea what they're saying, but they still do better with the dialogue given their limitations. I compare this to all the other "Engrish" I've watched over the decades.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7