• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What's Wrong With Fan Translations?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:47 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
I just don't want to see many other "Nagato-san" to "Miss Nagato" subs. That was something I never got used to in The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan. Thankfully, YenPress' manga releases doesn't have that. And, while I hope that Funi changes that for their home release, I'll still buy the show...even if her teen friends refer to her as "Miss Nagato". Laughing
This is how Bandai translated the original series, though, so I suspect that Funimation will keep that for consistency(if they weren't already inclined to dump honoriffics entirely).
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:26 am Reply with quote
Oh, did they? I had no idea. I've only seen the Haruhi dub. Laughing
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
I just don't want to see many other "Nagato-san" to "Miss Nagato" subs. That was something I never got used to in The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan. Thankfully, YenPress' manga releases doesn't have that. And, while I hope that Funi changes that for their home release, I'll still buy the show...even if her teen friends refer to her as "Miss Nagato". Laughing
I've seen the "it's unnatural for teens to call each other Mr./Miss all the time" as a criticism of localized/no-honorifics subs before. But really, if people don't like schoolkids being too formal, imo they should blame the Japanese scriptwriters for having the characters use the exact same suffixes that adults in a workplace might use. Localized subs are merely a reflection of that level of formality.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
Drunk Samurai wrote:
Adamanto wrote:

Not just "perhaps", we know the reason so many names in the official JoJo subs had to be changed is for copyright reasons.

Doesn't make them any less annoying to watch, though.

That's not how copyright law works. Especially when the name's Oingo and Boingo were never used together right after one another.

Not so!

Oingo Boingo ED theme

They only had a problem with the subs displaying the name, but the original audio still has a lot of these names spoken.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Drunk Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:

Not so!

Oingo Boingo ED theme

They only had a problem with the subs displaying the name, but the original audio still has a lot of these names spoken.

I was obviously talking about the manga. Besides that's still not how copyright law works. It's the same moronic shit that Viz did by changing Zoro's name to Zolo.

{Please don't over-quote. Thanks. ~ Psycho 101}
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
It was not obvious to me, since I was talking about subs in anime.

Did they change Zoro's name because they feared retribution from the people in charge of the Zoro property? I have never heard of the reason why they changed it. I would've thought that its the L/R flip that happens with Asian speech.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:

Did they change Zoro's name because they feared retribution from the people in charge of the Zoro property? I have never heard of the reason why they changed it. I would've thought that its the L/R flip that happens with Asian speech.

Apparently the question of who actually owns "Zorro" is a bit of a disputed, red tape mess, and the people who are involved with it are a little litigious
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:

They changed it to match 4kids. Why 4kids changed it is unknown, other than 4kids being 4kids. That Funimation uses Zoro should tell you how little real issue there is with using Zoro.
Drunk Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:

It was made even more obvious considering that Warner Brothers and not Viz owns the anime rights. Besides again that's not how copyright law works. The name is spelled different and both use completely different fighting styles. Also the fact that one is from an actual fictional world and the other is a fictional character from a real country.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
That doesn't stop Mojang from having a problem with the word Scrolls used for a game from a different developer, or the WWF having to become the WWE because the World Wildlife Federation thinks that someone will confuse pandas and pro wrestlers.

Companies and entities have strange issues with names.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:50 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I've seen the "it's unnatural for teens to call each other Mr./Miss all the time" as a criticism of localized/no-honorifics subs before. But really, if people don't like schoolkids being too formal, imo they should blame the Japanese scriptwriters for having the characters use the exact same suffixes that adults in a workplace might use. Localized subs are merely a reflection of that level of formality.

And that may well be the case, but all I'm expressing is personal preference. I've no idea if it is right or wrong to keep that level of formality in subs, and frankly the formality isn't an issue with me.

It just reads wrong to me. Though, keeping the san or just dropping it and not having Miss...either would be preferable.

Though, there are times where there is a context where I'd accept it. And, that usually would be an underling talking to an "ojou-sama" like character. Laughing

Either way, it's not a deal breaker for me. If there was a sub only release for a series where everyone was saying "Miss" to their female friend, it wouldn't stop me from buying the home release (unless I didn't really like the show).
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:08 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

No, that's an example of a halfway localization which is worse than either none or all.

Let me explain: Yes, it's true that the Japanese scripts have them using the same formal language in high school as people use in say a Japanese workplace. Because that's how people actually talk in Japan. But in the us in particular people do not use Mr. and Mrs. when talking with peers in high school...
So there are 3 choices (broadly): Either you do not localize at all and leave the honorifics in. You localize all the honorifics as Mr/Ms. Or you replace names with first names.
The first does not attempt to localize the dialog at all. The last completely attempts to change the speech to something common in a US setting. The middle one localizes the words but NOT the cultural aspect of address style.

So in my opinion the middling option is the worst choice... either you fully localize both the cultural aspects and the text, or you do neither.

Another example would be something like a game of shiritori. You can either leave the words just transliterated, you could translate the words literally and lose the "shiritori" part where the last letter of one word is the first of the next, or you could completely change the words and make sure they follow the rules of the game in english.
Again, in my opinion the middling option is the worst choice, where it only halfway localizes the dialog.
Drunk Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
That doesn't stop Mojang from having a problem with the word Scrolls used for a game from a different developer, or the WWF having to become the WWE because the World Wildlife Federation thinks that someone will confuse pandas and pro wrestlers.

Companies and entities have strange issues with names.

The point is they don't have any copyrights over stuff like that. If they sue then they're just wasting money.

samuelp wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

No, that's an example of a halfway localization which is worse than either none or all.

Let me explain: Yes, it's true that the Japanese scripts have them using the same formal language in high school as people use in say a Japanese workplace. Because that's how people actually talk in Japan. But in the us in particular people do not use Mr. and Mrs. when talking with peers in high school...
So there are 3 choices (broadly): Either you do not localize at all and leave the honorifics in. You localize all the honorifics as Mr/Ms. Or you replace names with first names.
The first does not attempt to localize the dialog at all. The last completely attempts to change the speech to something common in a US setting. The middle one localizes the words but NOT the cultural aspect of address style.

So in my opinion the middling option is the worst choice... either you fully localize both the cultural aspects and the text, or you do neither.

Another example would be something like a game of shiritori. You can either leave the words just transliterated, you could translate the words literally and lose the "shiritori" part where the last letter of one word is the first of the next, or you could completely change the words and make sure they follow the rules of the game in english.
Again, in my opinion the middling option is the worst choice, where it only halfway localizes the dialog.

Yeah that's stupid. I'd rather have no honorifics being used in cases like that. Then there's localization in general like completely changing lines. Or the worst case are morons like Tyson Rinehart who throw in personal political opinions. I would have refused to read that line.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
The WWF entered into an agreement with the panda people in the hopes of heading off litigation and then a court ruled they broke it. So that was mostly their own fault.
Drunk Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
The WWF entered into an agreement with the panda people in the hopes of heading off litigation and then a court ruled they broke it. So that was mostly their own fault.

There should have been no agreement. Just a bunch of morons making a bullshit agreement for no reason.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15