• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Asterisk War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
Full version of Asterisk’s ending:
https://vimeo.com/143539372

One of the classiest-sounding EDs this season?

One thing to note also is the Allekant SCP's only a spoiler[rubber-stamp president for his overlords. True power is held by whichever student faction is most powerful at the time, which is currently Ferrovius.]
VegetaEx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
I liked this Episode very much, KIrin is the perfect Type of Character for me. Also the Fight was very good.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Claudia flaunting her gorgeous curves in a sexy bikini, one cut in such a way that it is fairly obvious that she shaves “down there.”

Clearly plot relevant. It's to protect from Allekant crab lice.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
It's probably because I've watched so much anime but the main character is honestly annoying me as I've seen pretty much his exact personality (hell pretty much the same character) in so many other harem type series. He'll always jump into any situation to save someone without any planning or thoughts about the consequences, all the girls fall in love with him and he's clueless about any of their feelings.

I think Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei sort of spoiled me as the main character was a hell of a lot different in that he carefully analyzed every situation and came up with an intelligent ways to solve the problem, he was fully aware of other girls feelings for him but had absolutely no intention of reciprocating them and he had no issues with stepping into the moral grey area if it meant accomplishing his goals.

But then I sort of knew from episode 1 what kind of series this was going to be so I don't really have a right to complain. Pretty much just going to watch it for the action scenes at this point.
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Extra novel details:
1)Genestella are legally discriminated against in the Asterisk universe.

If a Genestella hurts or kills another person in self-defense, the law always rules against them and they are given the most severe punishment. The IEF has failed to change this.

2)Kirin’s uncle abuses Kirin because of jealousy issues.

The uncle was supposed to inherit the Toudou school, but was passed in favour of his Genestella brother (Kirin’s father), since it was felt a Genestella was the better option in leading the mostly Genestella students.
In response, he cut ties with the Toudous and started working at Asterisk. He’s hated his brother ever since, and by extension all Genestella, “those who stole what was rightfully his”.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
a mix of weapon styles and even martial arts

Those aren't separate things. The former is a subset of the latter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
im ok with less Julis. Im not too fond of her character and find the other female characters more interesting and funny.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Much more of an immediate concern for both them and Saya/Kirin are the Allekant “puppets,” who have full personalities and quickly show to be devastatingly strong.

I strongly suspect that was a preprogrammed skit, rather than a case of the puppets actually possessing personalities. We haven't seen anything resembling advanced AI in the setting yet and all previous automatons have been rather simple so it'd be a large, sudden leap to introduce AI of that level. Some of the commentary from the two designers up in their observation booth seems to imply this as well.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I have also wondered if those "puppets" aren't actually people being manipulated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote in the anime forum thread:
Quote:
Strictly speaking the ones actually entered in the tournament are the scientist chicks. Using puppets as your weapons is perfectly valid, just not particularly practical, as they explained, though a special exception was made this time to allow the robots alone to fight.

This does seem to make sense. Especially Saya's use of a BFG and the other mix of generated weapons. The puppets are probably controlled by the Allekant team.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
@Key

I will try to explain this in a spoiler-free manner.

Since this show is split-cour, so there are 24 episodes total for the anime adaptation. Right now, we are at volume 3 and probably the cut-off point for the part one finale. The Phoenix festa concludes on volume five. So yeah, just the half-way point of the tournament.

Regarding the puppets, without spoiling much, let me just say there are many twists awaiting us regarding these puppets, and there is also a good reason the puppets are designed 'that way'
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Since this show is split-cour, so there are 24 episodes total for the anime adaptation. Right now, we are at volume 3 and probably the cut-off point for the part one finale. The Phoenix festa concludes on volume five. So yeah, just the half-way point of the tournament.

I was also confused why he was talking about it being able to conclude the tournament in 2 episodes. I mean it is split cour.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Despite the steady pacing, I still question whether or not the tournament can be concluded in only two episodes."

Well, it is 24 episodes. So still plenty of time.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:49 am Reply with quote
I'm interested in how Theron gave the show a glowing review for the anime's fights. I read the light novels and watched the show to around when Toudou was introduced. I found the story too poor for me to be invested in. However, if the fight choreography is actually good for this show, I'm interested in rewatching

As such, would it be possible for someone to provide a review of the fight choreography rather than the presentation? at this point in my anime viewing life, RWBY is continuing to disappoint and only One Punch Man has given me the same intensity of fight that I got from Fate/Zero and UBW. If Asterisk manages to be a good fight showcase, I may have found something else to watch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
I'm interested in how Theron gave the show a glowing review for the anime's fights. I read the light novels and watched the show to around when Toudou was introduced. I found the story too poor for me to be invested in. However, if the fight choreography is actually good for this show, I'm interested in rewatching

As such, would it be possible for someone to provide a review of the fight choreography rather than the presentation? at this point in my anime viewing life, RWBY is continuing to disappoint and only One Punch Man has given me the same intensity of fight that I got from Fate/Zero and UBW. If Asterisk manages to be a good fight showcase, I may have found something else to watch

if you're expecting one punch man quality in fights then you're out of luck, it's a head and shoulders above every other fighting series since kill la kill. This series fight scenes are decent but that's mostly because so many other series just have sub par action sequences so it's just better in comparison.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10