• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One-Punch Man

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Valhern wrote:
Gasero wrote:
I did not like Puri-Puri Prisoner's personality and I still do not like that the other heroes depicted in the show have not successfully proved themselves able to protect the city without Saitama.

Like Zupon said, it's not that they're not capable of protecting the city, but what we are shown are the strongest kind of monsters or threats (demon and above) that more oftenly than not require the strongest type of S-Class (who are neither PriPri nor Genos, they are terribly stronger than most A-Class, but far weaker than most S-Class, and that's where Sonic falls, more or less) or someone with special kind of power for the situation...
I understand that there are other strong heroes, but my problem is that the organization keeps sending weaker heroes to the threats than what is obviously needed. The show is stuck on this hero hierarchy that doesn't make practical sense when there are threats that can instantly destroy a city or country.

Just a couple episodes ago there was a hero who nonchalantly approached a falling meteor to 'test' his power rather than dozens of heroes to prevent such a dangerous threat. I know it's fiction, but even for the world of OPM that seems careless.

the whole point of OPM is to show how ridiculous the hero organization is, with its requirements for an essay that determines a heroes ranking as well as the fact that S-rank heroes can just choose whatever jobs they want and not even show up to stop disasters which can only be stopped by them. It's a direct contrast to saitama who doesn't care about that and just does hero stuff because he wants to. it's also not meant to be taken seriously at all (as if the whole one punch thing wasn't clear enough about that), its a story full of satire about a bunch of different things.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Just in case anyone really cared, Allback Man is so-called because his hair is all slicked back.
Zupon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:54 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Valhern wrote:
Gasero wrote:
I did not like Puri-Puri Prisoner's personality and I still do not like that the other heroes depicted in the show have not successfully proved themselves able to protect the city without Saitama.

Like Zupon said, it's not that they're not capable of protecting the city, but what we are shown are the strongest kind of monsters or threats (demon and above) that more oftenly than not require the strongest type of S-Class (who are neither PriPri nor Genos, they are terribly stronger than most A-Class, but far weaker than most S-Class, and that's where Sonic falls, more or less) or someone with special kind of power for the situation...
I understand that there are other strong heroes, but my problem is that the organization keeps sending weaker heroes to the threats than what is obviously needed. The show is stuck on this hero hierarchy that doesn't make practical sense when there are threats that can instantly destroy a city or country.

Just a couple episodes ago there was a hero who nonchalantly approached a falling meteor to 'test' his power rather than dozens of heroes to prevent such a dangerous threat. I know it's fiction, but even for the world of OPM that seems careless.

The hero hierarchy is full flaw on purpose. Some hero are only here for fame or for their own interest like Metal Knight.

Watchdog man do his job very well but only in Q city like they said:
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:24 am Reply with quote
I think producing the anime with only 12 episodes makes the story less interesting because there hasn't been time to explore the world of heroes. Based on what people have said about the manga, there isn't much more explained about heroes there either.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Valhern wrote:
Gasero wrote:

Essentially speaking, the Hero Association parodies the Japanese Goberment (If you ask me it parodies any government).

It's highly bureaucratic, based on "Preferences" and woefully incompetent.

Remember, all to need to become a hero is to pass a medical test and then a writing essay, the essay being half the points. This means any jerk can become a hero.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
After episode 9 I'm not sure OPM can win my interest back. Is the manga really this one-note? Every battle is heroes wasting time until Saitama shows up late. There is a diverse cast of characters that the writer has made useless.

I was hoping that Genos would get his time to shine when he proved himself competitive against Sea King, but that hope immediately dissipated when Sea King got right back up to fight. What are the power levels here? Does it even matter when every hero except Saitama loses?

I'm agreeing with that one civilian complaining about the hero association. Showing up just to be easily defeated is not heroic. It's dumb. The hero organization still doesn't send all S class heroes to a serious threat to humanity. It's increasingly annoying that the latest threats were world threatening and only a couple high ranking heroes appear.

I'll watch episodes 10-12 with the hope that something hooks me back in, but OPM is disappointing so far.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada, Zupon, and #844391 please watch the over-quoting.Thank you.
Zupon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
After episode 9 I'm not sure OPM can win my interest back. Is the manga really this one-note? Every battle is heroes wasting time until Saitama shows up late. There is a diverse cast of characters that the writer has made useless.

I was hoping that Genos would get his time to shine when he proved himself competitive against Sea King, but that hope immediately dissipated when Sea King got right back up to fight. What are the power levels here? Does it even matter when every hero except Saitama loses?

I'm agreeing with that one civilian complaining about the hero association. Showing up just to be easily defeated is not heroic. It's dumb. The hero organization still doesn't send all S class heroes to a serious threat to humanity. It's increasingly annoying that the latest threats were world threatening and only a couple high ranking heroes appear.

I'll watch episodes 10-12 with the hope that something hooks me back in, but OPM is disappointing so far.

Demon level is city-treath like Sea King.
Dragon level is multiple city like the meteor or Vaccine man.
God is humanity-threat.

They would have send some s ranks if Saitama didn't beat him.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
They don't magically know how strong Sea King is until he's already beaten up heroes. I mean, how would they? You need Prisoner and Genos down before you've even confirmed that it's an S-rank threat, so when exactly were they supposed to send more heroes? You can't exactly fly them all in for every wannabe fishman who gets beaten back into the ocean by a grandma with a rolled up newspaper. There's a necessary timelag between realizing a threat is serious and having heroes available to do something about it.

Also, with stuff like the meteor most of them wouldn't be able to do anything anyway.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I think producing the anime with only 12 episodes makes the story less interesting because there hasn't been time to explore the world of heroes. Based on what people have said about the manga, there isn't much more explained about heroes there either.

Because it's a PARODY. And you are taking it straight.

Quote:
Par•o•dy (părˈə-dē). n. A literary or artistic work that imitates the characteristic style of an author or a work for comic effect or ridicule. See Synonyms at caricature.
n. The genre of literature comprising such works.
Zupon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
To the reviewer.
It was said in episode 6 that License-less don't want to pass in B-class, he wasn't denied.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Zupon wrote:
To the reviewer.
It was said in episode 6 that License-less don't want to pass in B-class, he wasn't denied.

Ah, okay. In his big speech, he said something about "not even being able to make it to B-Class," so I assumed that meant he wasn't admitted. Removed that part from the review.
Zupon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Zupon wrote:
To the reviewer.

Ah, okay. In his big speech, he said something about "not even being able to make it to B-Class," so I assumed that meant he wasn't admitted.

I think, he doesn't see himself worthy to be a B-class(in terms of strenght.)
Ulinox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Completely blew me away how good this episode was. Everything with Genos and Mumen Rider leading up to Saitama was absolutely fantastic. A++!
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
(concerning episode 9) I agree that this is probably the best episode yet! I loved it.

I somewhat disagree with the reviewer's interpretation of Saitama's actions at the end of the 'fight' with Sea King. It always seemed to me that Saitama, here, WAS being selfless by volunteering to be the 'heel' so that the fallen heroes, who honestly did their best to protect innocents, didn't look bad.

Maybe i'm misunderstanding what you mean by 'desperately seeking peers', but as I've understood it, Saitama cares much more about being a hero 'for fun', and for other people who genuinely want to be heroes for altruistic reasons, than for the popularity and personal branding contest that the Heroes Association is. Every time ranking and popularity has come up, Saitama hasn't cared about it at all (besides wanting to be B-rank so he doesn't have a weekly quota) His main problem is that he simultaneously has no challenges, and without any public or peer recognition of any kind, feels extreme ennui.

Maybe we're not even disagreeing; it's just that with this part of the story, I enjoyed the simpler interpretation of "Saitama admires Mumen Rider's courage, and takes a PR bump for him."

P.S. I DEFINITELY didn't get teary eyed AT ALL when that little kid started cheering for the 'Cyclist of Justice.' NOPE. NOT AT ALL. It's the dust in this room, i swear!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 21