• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tokyo Ghoul BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
haven't seen the anime yet but it can't be as bad as that horrible manga ending.

took away any thoughts of ever re-reading it in the future.

might check out the anime since it was changed up.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
haven't seen the anime yet but it can't be as bad as that horrible manga ending.

You do know there's a second manga right? Tokyo Ghoul isn't over.
GaryNhk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
bobob101 wrote:
I say this every time there is a Tokyo Ghoul article. The reason the show is truly special is because it is a Shonen Action Tragedy. The way the story unfolds is very similar to something like One Piece or Naruto. But every step of the story, where you expect there to be triumph or victory only brings sorrow and tragedy. Kaneki powers up and defeats the villain, Yay! Except he had to adopt a completely new and sadistic personality, and his quest for power isolated him from the very people he wanted to protect. And I also say this a bunch, but I believe the second season to be BETTER than the first season, because it is a stronger thematic story. The perfect way to view the second season is that it is the thematic culmination of the manga, and should be viewed as something to accompany the manga and enhance the experience of reading it.

I'm with you about the 2nd season. I like it alot and even a bit more then the first one. Season one didn't really end it just stop in the middle of a big war going on with alot of things left in the air. So when I hear people talk about root a ruin everything because the show change tones a bit. Change scares people away but I like it.

My only nicpic would be I wish it had more episodes before they jump into re: but I thought the ending was great alot better than seasons one ending. Funi should of bundle root a with it because its a bit incompele without it
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:37 am Reply with quote
Brian_FTP wrote:
Considering how violent this series is, does anyone know why episode 17 was edited? There are scenes where someone is stabbed with knives... The knives are sticking out of the character's arms and whatnot, and she's bleeding. You don't see any of it as the areas around the knives are heavily blurred. I believe there was a scene in episode 18 that involved stabbing and knives and that was also heavily edited (shadows would obscure the visual of the knives/stabbing).

Both seasons were censored for their tv broadcast, but episode 17 and 18 that you are referring to are both a part of season 2, which don't have a blu-ray/dvd release yet. Season 1, which is what this review is for and is the only part released in the US, is uncensored. When Funimation releases season 2 on blu-ray/dvd it will be uncensored and around that time the streams on their site will likely be replaced with the uncensored versions.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:37 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Tylerr wrote:

You do know there's a second manga right? Tokyo Ghoul isn't over.

uh yes, it doesn't change the horrible ending of the first one.

plus giving a main character amnesia and discarding pretty much all the good characters from the previous series made the new one pretty shitty for me.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I will never get how even non-manga readers can truly enjoy the show in the end.
The animation/art the definition of mediocre, the characters make no sense due to the pacing (14 changed volumes in 24 eps Shocked) and there is no payoff. Don´t get me started on the sequel... A friend of mine who never touched the manga watched both seasons (it actually managed to get a bit worse) and i had bit of fun listening to him not getting a word by the end. Everything good about the show are the accomplishment of the source material and nothing else. 5/10 and none should hire Pierrot due to their track record.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just want to say I really enjoyed it. I thought it was very good and I want to see more. Of course, I've just started the manga, which so far, I like as well. Does anyone know if the anime is getting a third season? I thought I heard something about it but I can't remember.
navycherub

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:48 am Reply with quote
I am personally looking forward to next year when Funimation gives us the last-minute cancelled collector's edition of this set. It is funny - when the first season aired, I was really just not a fan of the show at all. I had my reasons - it went too fast, the premise and execution didn't seem to have any sincerity behind them, and so on.

But I had a ridiculously drastic change of heart upon Root A's airing. I love Root A. Its characters, their individual worldviews and tragedies, their allegiances and desire to protect their peaceful lives, all of it was portrayed in such an honest, emotional way, and I ended up crying multiple times watching the show (and re-watching it as it aired as a broadcast dub).

I haven't gone back and watched the first season again yet - I think I might see it completely differently now - but I don't really want to until I have it in my hands. The way Gabriella Ekans has talked about it both here and in her editorial a while back makes me think I just wasn't really giving it the time of day, though, and I hope that I'm proven right.
chito895

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
A friend of mine who never touched the manga watched both seasons (it actually managed to get a bit worse) and i had bit of fun listening to him not getting a word by the end.

That was pretty much my reaction when I finished Root A. While the first season at least stuck with its main characters and story and tried to developed them, Root A started to add lots of characters and the focus was all over the place. Kaneki disappeared and Touka, the reason why I watched the anime on the first place, ended up being some girl waiting for his prince. And then at the end spoiler[some dude named Arima appeared and I was like who the f**k is that guy]?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2