• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
The flashback with Guren gave this episode a surprising emotional heft, successfully playing off the implied history between the two for a nice payoff. I enjoyed seeing Yu actually thinking through the situation, understanding the logic and greater cause that was motivating his friends and superiors, and acknowledging that they had a point, and were doing the right thing.

And then of course doing the stupid but noble thing anyway. Very Happy It's still Yu, after all, and we wouldn't want him doing anything else. But at least his foolhardy decision this week was prefaced by reflection and a touching flashback rather than the wide-eyed ranting and frothing about family that season 1 Yu would have given us.

I was hoping that Shinoa would have a bit more opportunity to shine this episode, though. When she said at the end of the last episode that she had a plan, I was hoping that the plan would be something more than "attack the vampires". I'm not expecting her to beat Aleister obviously, but maybe if she could at least pull some kind of trick that surprised him, or slowed him down for a step, or got him to raise an eyebrow. Instead they just charge in there, get beat up, then charge back out.

The unnecessary lava was cool though.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
And then of course doing the stupid but noble thing anyway. Very Happy

I dunno about that...Personally, I didn't like the beginning of this series because Yuichiro was pretty annoying and frustrating, making rash, impulsive decisions and refusing to listen to other people. I liked when other people called him out on his behavior, and I feel the series has become better with Yuichiro using his head more.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:42 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
steelmirror wrote:
And then of course doing the stupid but noble thing anyway. Very Happy

I dunno about that...Personally, I didn't like the beginning of this series because Yuichiro was pretty annoying and frustrating, making rash, impulsive decisions and refusing to listen to other people. I liked when other people called him out on his behavior, and I feel the series has become better with Yuichiro using his head more.

As steelmirror said, Yu *did* use his head this episode (eventually). After they'd gotten away, he thought carefully about what he should do. He concluded that if completing the mission meant leaving one of his family behind to die, he'd rather die. He didn't *rashly* choose death, he took those pills well-aware that he might (or even would likely) die.

Of course, since he's got Stuff going on inside of him, he's not going to die, but he had no way of knowing that beforehand. So, yeah, that was a noble act, after a fashion, but one made only after consideration and not due to rashness on Yu's part.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:12 am Reply with quote
2 pills alone (which he already took) are enough to send most people into shock. 3 pills ruptures organs and can lead to death. he popped 2 more pills (4 all together) which by all rights should have just killed him. doing something suicidal that kills you with no chance of actually saving anyone is just dumb.

and even if the pills had somehow worked, he would still not have been strong enough. 1 pill = 150%, 2 pills = 180%, it's not a major increase after the first pill. 3 or 4 pills would probably provide around 230-250% total strength, and crawley is obviously strong enough to take them all on at once (including guys like guren who are even stronger than Yu) so Yu getting a bit stronger wouldn't change anything.

there's a difference between doing something noble, like sacrificing yourself to save someone (like what guren did, telling his team to run and leave him rather than die saving him) and doing something really unwise, like what Yuto did. sacrificing yourself for an actual benefit is one thing, sacrificing yourself just to show that you're serious doesn't help anyone and just ends up with another dead body.

granted, Yu won't die, which sort of ruins the whole thing about facing the consequences of your actions. I personally hate it when main characters can get away with making stupid decisions simply because they cannot die.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
there's a difference between doing something noble, like sacrificing yourself to save someone (like what guren did, telling his team to run and leave him rather than die saving him) and doing something really unwise, like what Yuto did. sacrificing yourself for an actual benefit is one thing, sacrificing yourself just to show that you're serious doesn't help anyone and just ends up with another dead body.

granted, Yu won't die, which sort of ruins the whole thing about facing the consequences of your actions. I personally hate it when main characters can get away with making stupid decisions simply because they cannot die.

Yeah, a lot depends on what the aftermath of his decision ends up being. For me, though, the show has earned this moment. Yu has always been an unthinking hothead with lofty principles that lead him into making self-destructive decisions. In the first season I found that annoying, though funny.

In the second season, he's still a hothead who does some pretty dumb things, but he's leavened that with at least a modicum of thoughtfulness and the ability to understand that what he's doing probably isn't the smart thing to do, even if it ends up being what he feels he HAS to do.

It's actually a pretty big character development for him, and we've seen it coming in each episode of this 'attack on Shibuya'. From his reaction to being stomped by Guren to his interactions with the other squad during their first skirmish, we've seen Yu show that he isn't at all the same as he was when he was complaining about not needing friends and claiming to be strong enough to charge into enemy territory and take on everything all at once.

The fact that he still decides to do something crazy to try to save his 'family' rings true to me, though. He's changed, so he arrives at that decision more calmly than we might have expected, but he is still the same person who hates himself for surviving an attack that killed his whole family and turned Mika into a monster. Abandoning an ally to die, much less the closest thing he has to a father figure, simply isn't possible for him right now.

So I felt that this was one of the strongest moments for the series, personally. YMMV absolutely, and in the end Yu is pulling a classic shonen stunt that he will only survive because he's the main character, but presentation makes a huge difference and Seraph has done the work needed to make me appreciate it.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
'Shinoa claims that there's no way to de-vampire-ify someone, but Yu remains insistent.' -- From the Ep. 13 review

IIRC, Shinoa didn't say that there's no way to de-vampirify someone. She said that she doesn't know of any way to de-vampirify someone, which isn't quite the same thing. It means it is possible that a way does exist, only Shinoa doesn't know about it. So it's not impossible that Yu might eventually learn of a way to save Mika. Of course, I doubt, even if he does learn of a way (and I expect he will), that it'll be anything simple or straightforward.

i suspect is that because mika haven't taken the blood of a human that it might be possible for him to be turned back. but once he does,its all but over for Yu.

also of course guren is Ferid's counterpartner in all of this. it was kinda obvious from the first episode. there were way too much coincidences involving yu and mika for this not to be possible. especially on how yu escaped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:44 am Reply with quote
I've really been enjoying this season, especially with the combined soundtrack. The only thing I'm sad about is the many amusing side scenes that were cut that I'm assuming we're for time purposes and to make the series more serious. But there were a few bits of character development for the squad that were left out because of that. Especially in the last episode, where it seemed like Shinoa was the only one trying to stop him (literally no one had the chance to even try originally) and it almost looked like they didn't care as much.

As for Yuu, he literally didn't care if he was going to die, so to him it was just going for broke and taking his last options at power. He has a habit of either living too much in the past or present and never really thinking about the future and what they rest of his family will do without him.

Now to just wait and see where the anime's going to diverge and hopefully not come up with a bullshit ending.
Of course many just need to see spoiler[Mika drink Yuu's blood] to be satisfied, but I have a feeling it will be changed up a bit.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:03 am Reply with quote
Miyanoai wrote:
I've really been enjoying this season, especially with the combined soundtrack. The only thing I'm sad about is the many amusing side scenes that were cut that I'm assuming we're for time purposes and to make the series more serious. But there were a few bits of character development for the squad that were left out because of that. Especially in the last episode, where it seemed like Shinoa was the only one trying to stop him (literally no one had the chance to even try originally) and it almost looked like they didn't care as much.

As for Yuu, he literally didn't care if he was going to die, so to him it was just going for broke and taking his last options at power. He has a habit of either living too much in the past or present and never really thinking about the future and what they rest of his family will do without him.

Now to just wait and see where the anime's going to diverge and hopefully not come up with a bullshit ending.
Of course many just need to see spoiler[Mika drink Yuu's blood] to be satisfied, but I have a feeling it will be changed up a bit.

doubt it. remember, lets not forget on one fact. unless they (the production committee) will be doing an original anime ending (OAE) and not an ending from the original source materials (OSM) its highly unlikely they would show that. the only way is that their completely faithful towards the manga/light novels & its used as a cliffhanger type ending for the start of season 3.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
ep 21 (spoilers of course),

I was much happier with this ep as it did address some of my complaints from the last one. Yu DID die from taking the 2 extra pills, he's just got some twisted guardian angels that won't let him die completely. Then of course he learned nothing from that as he immediately began trying to power up in any way possible regardless of the consequences. No idea what that horn would have done, probably sealed some type of other contract with another entity.

I was also right that a brief power up from the pills wouldn't be enough to take on Crawley, there's just too much of a difference between them. And considering that a good chunk of the first season was about how important it was to control yourself and not give into your weapon's demon, Yu pretty much demanded the demon take over in exchange for more power. I'm sure he would have probably regretted it if his new demon form ended up killing all his friends after Crawley but as usual, zero foresight on Yu's part.

I was a bit annoyed that team Yu not only let Mika live but then let him run off with Yu. Regardless of what connection he has to Yu he's still a vampire noble. For all they know his idea of saving Yu is to turn him into a vampire.

There's also the fact that attacking a fellow human officer in order to save a vampire noble and let him run off with one of their comrades is pretty much cause for an on the spot execution by the other squads, considering how many of them just died in order to kill those nobles. Worst case scenario is Yu ends up a vampire (possibly coming back to kill humans) and team Yu ends up executed as traitors. I know that's not going to happen because of plot reasons but they certainly don't know that.

I sort of like the various characters in this series but it gets very hard to sympathize with them when everyone just goes with their feelings and doesn't put any thought into their actions or the possible consequences.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It looks like things are over for Mika (who was perhaps tactically unsound with the full frontal approach)

That's for sure. A little vampiric stealth would have paid off with little to no effort. Despite all that though, no one seemed to notice that Mika didn't kill any of the people attacking him. The only blood shed during that assault was Mika's. People didn't start dying until the aerial vamps dropped in. And for no-name grunts, they had a ridiculously easy time of dispatching soldiers who are supposed to be cream of the crop, especially compared to how easily we've seen the vamp troops go down before.

Can't look at Kagiyama without seeing Muco's Komatsu-san. :)

chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Can't look at Kagiyama without seeing Muco's Komatsu-san. Smile

Drrrr's Dotachin for me.

Who would have just knocked Yu over the head and dragged his stupid FAMILY ass to the rendezvous point three episodes ago, so, too bad.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:19 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
No idea what that horn would have done, probably sealed some type of other contract with another entity.

I was a bit annoyed that team Yu not only let Mika live but then let him run off with Yu. Regardless of what connection he has to Yu he's still a vampire noble. For all they know his idea of saving Yu is to turn him into a vampire.

There's also the fact that attacking a fellow human officer in order to save a vampire noble and let him run off with one of their comrades is pretty much cause for an on the spot execution by the other squads, considering how many of them just died in order to kill those nobles. Worst case scenario is Yu ends up a vampire (possibly coming back to kill humans) and team Yu ends up executed as traitors. I know that's not going to happen because of plot reasons but they certainly don't know that.

The horn was a sign that his demon was starting to fully possess him. Yoichi grew horns and a tail when he was possessed.

Also just want to point out that Mika is actually not a noble. When Shinya said they could take on a noble, he was referring to that if it turned out to be a noble (because he couldn't properly see him from there), then they could still take him. Mika's probably powerful enough to be one but the fanbook lists his rank as a city guard under Ferid'd faction and at the end of volume 5, the author states under Rene's profile that certain "normal" vampires like him and Mika (and probably Lacus) are very powerful without being nobles.

During, the fight Mika was also going out of his way not to kill them. That's when I think the bulb should have lit that "hey, this guy is not an immediate threat, we should keep moving" but of course no one would think that or disobey orders. Shinoa's squad took a risk with trusting him, but I think they figured that once Yuu woke up, he would find his way back on his own no matter what Mika did.

The other soldiers did try and execute them on the spot as well, but Shinoa had an advantage. She's a Hiiragi and Shinya the one brother she had that somewhat cared about her. He knew she had a reason for what she did.

jr240483 wrote:

doubt it. remember, lets not forget on one fact. unless they (the production committee) will be doing an original anime ending (OAE) and not an ending from the original source materials (OSM) its highly unlikely they would show that. the only way is that their completely faithful towards the manga/light novels & its used as a cliffhanger type ending for the start of season 3.

After that preview and official anime art I've seen on twitter, I'm almost sure it will happen. And they may just end up following it despite what's been said in interviews.
Ep 9 = ch 34 and 35, ep 10 = 36 and 37, ep 11 = 38 and 39, and ep 12 = 40-42. Meaning the anime will end up spoiling the manga.
This is all speculation of course, but at this point, I have no idea where they could diverge to have an anime original ending being so close to the end of the arc.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
by horn I meant the angel trumpet thing he saw while knocked out.

Also, I know Mika isn't a noble but the other human soldiers don't know that, and given how strong he is they assume he is one. letting what they think is a vampire noble live and get away with a fellow soldier is the general impression they are going to get from the incident. the fact that a whole bunch of new vampires just showed up and started attacking (and killing) them is going to make it really hard to justify letting mika go as they consider all vampires to be pretty much on the same side.

anyway, it looks like a lot of the side characters are going to be dying in the next episode due the fact that a fresh bunch of vampires nobles just arrived so no idea who will be left to bring up the subject afterwards.
Tanya30

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:57 am Reply with quote
I find it interesting that Mika didn't kill or even seriously wound any of the human soldiers, considering he'd had no problem killing off the vampire mooks that were with him last episode. He is supposed to hate humans and vampires equally, and yet... Does he have more humanity left in him than he realizes? Or does it all come down to how Yu would feel about it?

I have to admit, Mika headbutting Kimizuki made me giggle. Very Happy
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:36 am Reply with quote
Mika's primary goal is to find Yuichiro, and his approach seems to be to inflict as little damage as possible to do so. I'm guessing he kills vampires but spares humans because whereas humans fear him and will get out of his way once he attacks, vampires obviously do not and have to be killed to be neutralized.

We've seen that humans stick together and trust and love each other, following their objectives, but vampires think mainly for themselves (except for Mika, but even then he's thinking for himself in his own way) and seem to fool around a lot instead of focusing on their own objectives. Since vampires are a lot less predictable about what would happen if a fellow vampire opposes them, it'd make sense that Mika would have to kill them to make sure they don't become a pain later on.

There's also the fact that Mika has been a vampire for a lot less time than the others and still remembers his humanity quite clearly, so he probably would feel quite guilty for killing humans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 17