• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kitaro, NonNonBâ Manga Creator Shigeru Mizuki Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Another Legend lost.
I remember reading an article how he works and even enjoys burger. (I smile when i saw that picture. Proving your not too old to try new things.)

RIP good sir.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
The legendary one-handed master now gone to the rest after his long and glorious road which had a great impact on manga even now. It's a sad news that he's now not with his readers anymore, but he did the work to the full content even in his 90's - the thing that cannot afford by everyone.

Rest in peace, Mizuki-san. The manga readers and writers will not forget your contributions to this world.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
He lived an incredibly interesting life. Very sad news. RIP.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow, but this was to be expected. I mean the man is in his mid 90's.

I remember some years back at the last NYAF (before it was merged into NYCC), there was a panel on JPop, "Could it be promoted in the West?" They were also promoting travel agencies for anyone wanting to visit Japan. One of the excursion packages was a trip to Shigeru Mizuki's hometown. There you could see and experience all the landmarks dedicated to his characters from GeGeGe no Kitaro. There was also mention that people might actually see him in person, provided he was up to it due to his questionable health. After the discussion they presented an episode of GeGeGe no Kitaro from the late 2000 (maybe around 2007-09?) reboot of the series (not the most recent one).

Shigeru Mizuki, one of the old guardd and great ones of the golden age who created such beloved classics devoted to "yokai". He lived a great and successful life. He like Tezuka is a "hall of famer". He inspired many. While I never had a chance to sit down with the GeGeGe series, I've had the honor of reading his works that have been published recently. I give much respect to this man and the legacy he has left. He will be greatly missed.

I'm expecting a column from ANN at some point.

*I wonder if Kazuhiro Fujita (Ushio & Tora) was inspired by Shigeru Mizuki.

Last edited by Chrno2 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
What an amazing and full life this man lived. He never thought of himself as handicapped and kept churning out his work. Shigeru Mizuki is someone to be admired.
jtron

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see I'm not the only one who expected/hoped he'd live forever. It's great that so much of his stuff's coming out here now.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for all, Mr. Mizuki. Your work was and is still fantastic to this day.

R.I.P.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Mizuki-san is one of the few people that can just about live to the American beer commercial tagline, The Most Interesting Man in the World.

Not only did his creation GeGeGe no Kitaro singlehandedly revive the Japanese interest in youkai (much of modern Japanese manga and anime are based on the knowledge of youkai--indeed, the very success of GeGeGe no Kitaro made it possible for Nintendo to create the Pokémon franchise, in my opinion!), but Mizuki-san was one of the very small number of Japanese World War II veterans willing to discuss the subject of their wartime service. A number of manga series he wrote strongly broached the subject, unusual and rare in the manga field.

I'm glad someone mentioned the fact he often greeted visitors to his childhood hometown of Sakaiminato for many years--as such, there is a shopping mall in that small town that uses the themes from GeGeGe no Kitaro and the West Japan Railway Company's Sakai Line between Sakaiminato and Yonago has stations themed after the series, too.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Going off of Mizuki manga translator Zack Davisson's knowledge, Mizuki is the very reason why Japan's youkai culture even exists to this day. I went to a panel of his about Mizuki, and apparently after Japan lost WWII the newly-established government aimed to remove nearly anything & everything old world about Japan's culture to make way for a new culture, and that included knowledge about youkai. Since most of the people who knew about youkai were either too old to share the stories anymore or died in the war, Mizuki took it upon himself to share the stories he was told by his beloved NoNonBa (the subject of the manga of the same name). His work prompted others to look for more info, keeping such an old legacy alive in a new, post-war Japan.

So, in short, not only was Kazuhiro Fujita inspired by Shigeru Mizuki, all of Japan's present youkai culture exists because of him.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:09 am Reply with quote
I must confess that tears sprang to my eyes immediately after reading the title. I hope he rests in peace, knowing that he will be missed by all those around the world whose lives he enriched. Thank you for everything, Mizuki-san.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:17 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Going off of Mizuki manga translator Zack Davisson's knowledge, Mizuki is the very reason why Japan's youkai culture even exists to this day. I went to a panel of his about Mizuki, and apparently after Japan lost WWII the newly-established government aimed to remove nearly anything & everything old world about Japan's culture to make way for a new culture, and that included knowledge about youkai. Since most of the people who knew about youkai were either too old to share the stories anymore or died in the war, Mizuki took it upon himself to share the stories he was told by his beloved NoNonBa (the subject of the manga of the same name). His work prompted others to look for more info, keeping such an old legacy alive in a new, post-war Japan.

So, in short, not only was Kazuhiro Fujita inspired by Shigeru Mizuki, all of Japan's present youkai culture exists because of him.

Wow. I figured as much. I love hearing how these guys pioneered the genres we know today. And I have read about his dedicated research into the "yokai" as well as other cultural apparitions. This was mentioned in the afterwords of his work "NonNonBa", which I enjoyed. As I do enjoy the various folklores, especially Japan's. I feel deeply touched right now. A little saddened, but also happy about the inspiration that this man has brought forth and the legacy that still continues on today. Surprised Surprised Surprised
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:05 am Reply with quote
Farewell to a great legend. I think he is the 2nd oldest anime/manga industry figure, including seiyuu, to die. The first being the late Hisaya Morishige (5/4/13-11/10/09), who was in Hakujaden, the '58 Toei film that was both the first colored anime and considered by some to be the first "modern" anime.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:07 am Reply with quote
The more I think about it, the more I think Mizuki-san may have helped save much of Japan's cultural heritage in general.

Remember, the American authorities after World War II had to dismantle the form of Shinto practiced in Japan since the time of the Meiji Restoration, where Shinto shrines became the property of the government--what some call State Shinto. Unfortunately, in that dismantling of the State Shinto, the Americans--and the Japanese--came fairly close to the wiping out the belief in kami and youkai by around 1960. It was Mizuki's enormous success with GeGeGe no Kitaro that (more or less) revived the interest in these aspects of Shinto beliefs--and as such, that's why we saw a revival of interest of many aspects of kami and youkai in Japanese literature, manga and eventually anime.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:09 am Reply with quote
well from all the guys that shaped manga and anime he was the oldest but i actually thought it still wasn't gonna happen any time soon ... Sad
Wished i actually could have met him R.I.P still gotta read/watch more of his stuff.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I maybe a latecomer to this but it's sad to hear about Mr. Mizuki's death. Like Dick Clark or Casey Kasem,he's one of those guys that many thought would always be there. Farewell,sir. You're going to meet your fellow manga artist Osamu Tezuka along with your fellow legends,Dick Clark,Don Cornelius,and Casey Kasem. They're probably at the pearly gates now,waiting to see you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3