• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Danganronpa 3 -The End of Kibōgamine Gakuen- Anime Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
If/when the English dub comes out: As much as I like Caitlin Glass and Felecia Angelle, I'd much rather have Erika Harlacher and Cassandra Lee Morris.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:14 am Reply with quote
navycherub wrote:
It is really unfortunate that, without an adaptation of Super Dangan Ronpa 2, this will by nature spoil that game, because it is even better than the first one in just about every way and deserves its own time in the sun.

Both games are about equal in quality but one thing that felt way off about the 2nd game was the reveal spoiler[that the 2nd game took place inside of virtual reality world [/quote] to say nothing about a couple of plot holes here and there.]
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
A sequel for the anime? Huh. Sounds interesting. I really liked the visuals in the first show. The whole pink blood-thing was kind of strange, but unconventional in a good way. I like that it is not an adaptation of the third game; the franchise really has potential to expand beyond the gaming platform. I wonder how much time has passed after the anime...all the characters look older in the artwork against some type of dystopian setting. It could create the super-ultimate setting of despair.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote
Well, since Despair Girls takes place before Super 2, I hope we get to see Komaru
LethalSavage

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
A sequel for the anime? Huh. Sounds interesting. I really liked the visuals in the first show. The whole pink blood-thing was kind of strange, but unconventional in a good way. I like that it is not an adaptation of the third game; the franchise really has potential to expand beyond the gaming platform. I wonder how much time has passed after the anime...all the characters look older in the artwork against some type of dystopian setting. It could create the super-ultimate setting of despair.
This happens after the first and second game. To conclude the story of the old characters that survived at peek academy. Since the 3rd one won't be involved with peek and the old characters anymore.
LinkSword

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Let me go grab my vomit bag.

Seiji Kishi is directing, there's not even a tinge of doubt in my mind that it'll be horrendously bad.

I'll just stick to the wonderful games, thanks.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Naegi look he about to drop the most savage diss track
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
LinkSword wrote:
Let me go grab my vomit bag.

Seiji Kishi is directing, there's not even a tinge of doubt in my mind that it'll be horrendously bad.

I'll just stick to the wonderful games, thanks.

Im curious can you tell me why you hate Kishi so much? Anybody tell me even? BTW if its about adaptations don't reply, dont mention adaptations please. I find an anime should come before an adaptation full stop. All of what i've seen have delivered as great-fantastic anime. That's why I'm curious. Again , DO NOT REPLY IF POOR ADAPTATION IS YOUR REASON
GiriOni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:

Im curious can you tell me why you hate Kishi so much? Anybody tell me even?

I don't hate Kishi myself but I can see the flaws in his directing.

Kishi is actually pretty decent at directing stuff. Creating several interesting unique scenes (i.e. some of the weirder stuff from ranpo). But his problem, in my view, is that regular scenes are pretty dull, and create bad consistency over the work. When I wasn't being incredibly intrigued by the Shinbo-ish scenes in ranpo I was being bored sore of dull, plain looking shots that failed to convey much of anything.

What I got off the top of my head. But let me reiterate, I do not hate Kishi, but I am not that great of a fan of his works, and I can understand the dislike people have for him. (Not that my thoughts are the case for everyone though)
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
LethalSavage wrote:
Usagi-kun wrote:
This happens after the first and second game. To conclude the story of the old characters that survived at peek academy. Since the 3rd one won't be involved with peek and the old characters anymore.

Thanks for the clarification. I misspoke about the timeline, but I am still excited to see the franchise is popular enough to keep getting these new installments. The last convention I went to had a lot more Danganronpa merch that I expected and heavily promoted Despair Girls. V3 looks like it will be brand new, but I am thrilled to find out what happened to the characters of Hope's Peak and hopefully the island survivors in the anime installment.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to seeing a conclusion for Hope's Peak but I really wanted to see Danganronpa 2 animated first. Hajime's my fav out of all characters.
Batknight94

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Really looking forward to this. Especially since this is an original story so there's no reason for them to rush through the story like what happened in the first Danganronpa anime. They didn't even really need to tie this story up but the fact that were getting a proper ending to the original series is a treat.
lucio542

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I wanted the 2 game to a anime adaptation.........but.......
Aster Selene

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I mean, for anyone who wants an adaptation of the second game, this anime here doesn't stop them from doing it in the future. After all, this anime isn't aimed at people who are following an anime progression from the first one, so even though it might seem "out of order" to the outsider, they could easily do an adaptation of 2 later.
And they clearly know there's demand for it, considering they used it as a troll at the beginning of 3's PV. What's stopping them is likely the low turnout of the first one and the fact that there's really no way to tastefully adapt the second game into anything shorter than a 2-cour (you might argue that the first one wasn't done "tastefully", but the second game relies on a lot more foreshadowing and seemingly-minor-points-that-become-important-later than the first).

The more I think about it, even though this was a pretty shocking announcement, the way the games were going with their plot, this was probably the best way to do it. There's more plot to wrap up than there is the ability to make it much of a playable game - continually relying on new characters to wrap up the plot with old characters would be difficult. Perhaps I could potentially imagine a VN (with no routes), but it'd be pretty hard to market and it wouldn't have the dramatic presentation an anime would. Plus, Spike Chunsoft can concentrate on making the new game, which still has a lot of demand since people like the games and the game system, and Kodaka can explore new ideas for it.
But it's not like they're going to deliberately postpone the end of the Hope's Peak Academy story just so they can prioritize an adaptation of 2 when the first didn't even do that amazingly. In fact, maybe if DR3 sells well, they'll reconsider...

I'm still worried about Kishi directing it (I've always seen him at being better at comedy than drama), but Kodaka said on Twitter that he's behind most of the project, and I haven't seen a lot of Kishi's original works anyway. Pretty much all my issues with the first anime were with pacing and cut content, all of which have to do with the fact it's an adaptation.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Anyone wondering why the heck nagei is in handcuff with ashina and kyouko guiding him it looks like.

I am very happy they are being flexable and are not trying to force the end of the story into a medium that it doesn't fit well into. I am much happier getting a good anime rather then a subpair game. especially since all the other games are so good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3