• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Idea Factory Int'l President: 'We Don't Want to Censor Anymore'

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
"But we're not trying to take your games away or anything!"

Riiiiiiiiiiiight.... Confused
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
No no! It's all a *marketing ploy*. It has nothing to do with certain groups creating a toxic environment designed to discourage foreign game publishers from releasing their games (at least, releasing them uncensored) here in the States....

Right? Right.
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I kind of don't buy that. There's a lot more to it than them being worried about reception/reaction of their handling of female characters. (And if they're that worried, why don't they wonder why about it more and adjust it a bit, lol.)

For IF especially, they have the same issue that KT does with DOAX, and that's the audience size. KT, on the otherhand, is known for being skeevy and not great to consumers, so they can say anything and get away with it, in particular because they have a sizably, established audience. Smaller companies shouldn't try for the same excuses, lol.

IF is small enough that if they want to release their games uncensored, they can. Anita (every anti-Shonen Jump Weekly's go to, lol) is not going to care about these niche ass games, and most feminists don't care unless they're already into the company. (I tend to like the idea behind IF games, but they're so lacking, I don't give them much thought or time.) Honestly, their problem is more about how much it'll cost to localize, etc more than it ever was worry about "feminists" or "female characters in gaming."
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
As it should be. These are products aimed at adults, and the thought that we still need to censor games to keep the kiddies safe wore out decades ago.

This also does lend a hand to the argument that some developers were taking notes from the DoAX3 controversy. While these are still games I don't normally play, for those that do, they should have access to whatever is legal in their region. if not, PlayAsia and other import websites are willing to cross the gap if no localized version can be obtained.

I wonder...now. Hear me out, you know how they can tell if your Console (PS4, for example) is modded, and they can disable the console remotely? Wouldn't it be weirdly distressing if they somehow were going to monitor such games? Let's say a game couldn't come over because it had an illegal level of fanservice for your country. The console can detect what region it is in and the game inside, so that could potentially be a thing? I dunno, this last paragraph is me rambling. Food for thought.

manapear wrote:
Honestly, their problem is more about how much it'll cost to localize, etc more than it ever was worry about "feminists" or "female characters in gaming."

By refusing to censor, they essentially reduce localizing costs. Either the country/region takes the game as-is, or the game comapny simply goes home to work on new assets. Essentially they would save time on finding which assets would be most objectionable and modifying the models. I never worked in 3D so i have no idea how long it takes, but with how tight Japanese budgets appear to be I'd assume it'd be some money.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Words are just words. I want to see bold action.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic news. It's great they're not giving in to these toxic groups. Hopefully they'll continue to dub the games in English as well.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:

What kind of action? Your comment is so vague as to be meaningless.
Sudo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:

They already took action by not localizing Moero Chronicle and its sequel, Moero Crystal, for the west because they would've had to censor them. They both have Asian English releases, though. None of their other game series have enough fanservice to necessitate censorship, many of them only get T ratings in the first place. IFI hasn't passed on localizing any other of Comple Heart's releases since the company was formed.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Huh, did they even mention anything about sexualizing women?
The one game they had to censor, they censored almost exclusively lolis, which is a whole different can of worms. And well, the following Moero games fall right into the same issue, so it would need the same censoring...
... or would it? I cannot fathom how the Steam version of MonMon could get away with naked lolis (and lingerie cockatrice) while the Vita version (and subsequent Moero games) can't. It makes no sense to me.
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't buy it. But people buying it probably end up buying from overseas, so no wonder companies will try to jump in this bandwagon of easy sales.
WikiSonic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I find their comments dishonest. If they were really against censorship and always had the intention of releasing a game, they'd release it and not fall on the excuse of "we can't because it would've needed to be censored."

What games does Compile Heart have that need to be censored anyway? How about this: Submit your game to the ESRB and if they give it a bad rating, censor it and blame it on them.

Because in the end, I'd rather see some form of a game then no game at all.
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
If they are offended then they could just not buy the game, its as simple as that. If they are offended that other people 'buy it' then its too freakin bad.

Are they offended when they walk on the beach and see girls in bikinis too? Do they want to start a protest so every girl and woman wears beachwear from the 1800s?

*Whats with the weird changing of the posts?? What I'm writing isn't coming out exactly after posting it? lol

Last edited by TsukasaHiiragi on Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
Sudo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
The one game they had to censor, they censored almost exclusively lolis, which is a whole different can of worms. And well, the following Moero games fall right into the same issue, so it would need the same censoring...
... or would it? I cannot fathom how the Steam version of MonMon could get away with naked lolis (and lingerie cockatrice) while the Vita version (and subsequent Moero games) can't. It makes no sense to me.

Well, they're not actually naked. It is kinda close, though. Steam also doesn't require ratings for games at all, unlike consoles, so releasing it uncensored isn't a problem.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
So this company was like the "4Kids" of gaming? Ooh own goal mate. Suck's to be you. Laughing
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Sudo wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

Well, they're not actually naked. It is kinda close, though. Steam also doesn't require ratings for games at all, unlike consoles, so releasing it uncensored isn't a problem.

Fia is, although that's the card they used the best censoring way with.
But why doesn PSN need that while Steam doesn't? ... oh well. Still strange.
But then you have the reason why Youjo Simulator was withdrawn, whereas MonMon has that skeleton card...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6