• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: School-Live! Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
Asking as someone who has not yet seen one second of footage from this series: does it trascend its first episode twist? Does it get basic concepts as characterization and pacing right? Or does it, like certain successful American TV series, mix up depth with miserablism and morbidity?

Thanks!
chito895

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
Well, this is not a miserable nor a horror show. There are times when the girls start getting desperate, but not like "I'll kill myself because I'm done with this". And the show is more focused on the " Live" part rather than the "survive" part (that's how the moe aspect of the show works.)

This show was a nice surprise and easily enters my top 10 list of 2015. The show deceived me at the beginning, but after reading the hype around the show, I decided to give a chance. And then while watching the first episode, I started spoiler[noticing the little sings like the classroom board or the cross at the roof, and after seeing the barricade, I knew something was fishy. And then that revelation...]

Something I would like to add is how effective the music was, especially one lullaby like song that played every now and then, especially during spoiler[Yuki's delusional moments.]
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
Speaking of the changes in the opening, I made a video detailing the opening changes. IIRC, it was done after episode 10, so the changes made in the final opening (episode 12 didn't have an opening) aren't there.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
Asking as someone who has not yet seen one second of footage from this series: does it trascend its first episode twist? Does it get basic concepts as characterization and pacing right? Or does it, like certain successful American TV series, mix up depth with miserablism and morbidity?

Thanks!

yes, it's a good show; I got a lot of peolpe who are not into watching moe anime to watch the first episode and most of them liked it, even a decent amount liked it enough to continue watching; and I am talking about people whom exclusively watch the shounen jump stuff and other types of "manly" anime.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
School Live! was one of my biggest surprises of this year. I initially was not interested in the moe aesthetic and vibe, but that is more of a facade. This show is surprisingly deep and covers several genres that should make it appealing to all kinds of anime fans.

The only thing that actively disliked was Miki's garter belt. Even if it was for titillation, it was ridiculous and creepy. It is not a huge deal, but it bothered me.

And as a big Sentai Filmworks fan and supporter, I am so glad they picked up this show. I assume it will be English dubbed.
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
no episode is a throw-away

spoiler[We didn't really need that episode with them playing on the roof now did we?]
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Considering its dismal sales in Japan, I'm not so sure about it capturing the hearts of otakus everywhere.

As a long time Romero fan- I am a fan of a lot of things apparently- I loved it, I just wish it had more... episodes really. Room for more zombies, more people, more hope and more despair.

I particularly loved the opener; Yuki goes running by, happy as can be, pursued by a rainbow of colors that are actually grasping zombie arms.

The one thing I didn't like was spoiler[the cure as all the conspiracy data] and how and when it was introduced. If it happened when they needed it or better yet after, it'd be fine but once it was introduced, I thought "ok, so that can happen now" and it did. Twice.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Quote:

spoiler[We didn't really need that episode with them playing on the roof now did we?]

I saw that as a last, desperate bid at stability and calm before everything went downhill - spoiler[ I thought Yuuri in particular had an edge to her during the whole thing, like she was on the verge of breaking.] But I could totally be overanalyzing. Smile
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
All I remember of the show is it had one of the worst resolutions to the big dramatic climax episode I've seen in a long long time.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:

Thanks!

I'll try to keep this spoiler light, but it's pretty hard to do.

Heeeeeee... Most people seem to love the show, for me it definetly peaked at episode 1 and the rest feel like a slow slide to average. The show does try to have another big twist but everyone can see it coming way way early.

Most of it is really slice of life, but not has good has K-on or anything, its merely fine. Not having any throw away episode is a complete delusion, there are plenty of disposable moment, even has a swimsuit one which is outright pointless. There's also a very long shower scene that serves no purpose beyond base fan service (the fan service is really weird BTW, one of the girl is always in garter for some reason). As far as the drama part goes, you could easily cut it down to less than 6 episode.

If you're going in solely for the zombie aspect, well... I'd say recommending this to a zombie fan would make as much sense as recommending K-on to a music fan. Sadly there's a crippling lack of interesting zombie anime, unlike music anime where there's plenty of good one, so that aspect makes it stands out from the crowd.

Take what I said with a grain of salts though, I get the impression that I'm hard to please. If you find that you like most anime you watch you'll probably enjoy this one.
Mystifire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
gedata wrote:
Quote:

I saw that as a last, desperate bid at stability and calm before everything went downhill - spoiler[ I thought Yuuri in particular had an edge to her during the whole thing, like she was on the verge of breaking.] But I could totally be overanalyzing. Smile

It certainly could have done without all the fan service as that episode had, but otherwise I agree with you entirely. A really good episode to reinforce how well these girls get along, along with a calm before the storm.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

And as a big Sentai Filmworks fan and supporter, I am so glad they picked up this show. I assume it will be English dubbed.

I hope so. It seems like it has a decent shot since there is a lot of positive buzz about it, so this might be one that they dub right away instead of doing an initial sub-only release.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Considering its dismal sales in Japan, I'm not so sure about it capturing the hearts of otakus everywhere.

The sales were average at around 2900 per volume so break even, but the manga got a huge boost so I would say that that this was definitely a commercial success.
Via_01

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I've yet to watch this, even though I know it's good from a lot of sources. Now that I've read this review, I believe I'll definitely save up some time this week to experience it for myself.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I remember being very curious about this series when it was first revealed, so I was looking forward to its airing. It become my favorite series during the summer season. The slice of life bits were only average though. They also made me kind of uncomfortable, but that was because it was kinda disturbing seeing the girls goof off despite all the death and danger looming just downstairs. (added to the horror though) The first episode caught me off guard; I knew something was off, but I seriously did not expect Yuki's delusion. I felt the ending with spoiler[Yuki telling all the zombies to return home ]was clever but also kind of silly. That said, spoiler[the graduation was a pretty great scene. ] I really liked the character designs (especially their school uniforms) but the cgi for the zombies was a bit too jerky for my taste, even if they are supposed to move that way.(compared to something like Highschool of the Dead) The music and sound design though was very impressive, especially when spoiler[Kurumi killed the guy on the roof.The way the sound cut off at the impact was cool.] Now I got to start reading the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2