• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Negima! Live-Action Drama's Negi Played by 13-Year-Old Girl

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vantos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:54 am Reply with quote
Wow...a young girl playing Negi...

Somehow, I'm not surprised, though I know that the preceding link is unrelated.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:26 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:56 am Reply with quote
Awwwww, she's so cute!

Not a big fan of Negima, but I love dorama, so I might check it out.

Prepubescent girls actually do play young boys pretty often in stage plays and such, so it's not a big deal.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:24 am Reply with quote
Very cool - I'm looking forward to it - they definitely put a ton of work into all this so I hope its a hit!
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote
She certainly is cute, which should be a good fit since Negima! is about the "kawaii" factor first and foremost. Plus, this ought to get the yuri fans buzzing about how they will handle the "Pactio" scenes. Wink
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quote
Yeah she looks Welsh. Works for menot Now all they have to do is get boys to play the amorous girls and this bread might rise. It would be just waaay too ecchi to have girls trying to get into the pants of another girl even if she is playing a boy. Makes the hairs on the back of my neck rise up just thinking about it. Eww. BTW I wouldn't even rent Negima because it's just too blatantly harem fanboy fodder which is not my favourite biscuit in the tin.
Proz512

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote
An October 1 press event

Negima can do press announcements in the future? I know he's a wizard and all...
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
This is surprising, because? Negi's already voiced by a female: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rina_Satou
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:15 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
This is surprising, because? Negi's already voiced by a female: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rina_Satou

Because it's one thing for two adult seiyuu to reenact certain scenes from the manga in a dubbing booth, into two separate microphones.

It's quite another thing for two teenaged actresses to reenact certain scenes from the manga in actual physical proximity with each other....
thecactusman17

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I have zero interest in this adaptation except to see just how bad it gets. While this is certainly making me wonder if it actually can get worse, it also makes a ton of sense especially if they wish to feature the almost casual frequency with which characters appear naked or partially naked in the manga. Few parents would likely be particularly happy if their son was in such a role., and I'm willing to bet that this was heavily requested by many of the student actors' families as well.

--edited: characters appear naked or partially naked commonly in the manga, the anime too but not nearly to the same extent.--
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:32 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:

It's quite another thing for two teenaged actresses to reenact certain scenes from the manga in actual physical proximity with each other....

I doubt the show will be anywhere near as rique as the manga. You can't cover up real nipples with just a single strand of hair, after all. I'm guessing we'll get some skimpy clothing and the harem hijinks but significantly lower fanservice. I also doubt it will be very accurate.

I'd like to see this just out of morbid curiosity. The manga actually has some good things going for it, but there's no way this show will have the necessary budget to go the direction the manga goes and look anything but laughably bad.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:34 pm Reply with quote
It's news threads like this that make me happy I'm not on 4chan Wink .
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:17 pm Reply with quote
If this even legally leaves Japan at all I'll be surprised.

minakichan wrote:
Prepubescent girls actually do play young boys pretty often in stage plays and such, so it's not a big deal.
13 is hardly prepubescent these days, unless she is genetically delayed in development, which she doesn't appear to be
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:

Anyways, cross-gender acting is nothing new. Heck, Shakespeare used MEN to act out female characters. Until we see the actual product, I'm going to expect little if any "fanservice" that the Ken Akamatsu manga depicts.

Proman wrote:
It's news threads like this that make me happy I'm not on 4chan

In comes Pedobear with BIG BULGING EYES. Laughing
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
testorschoice wrote:

Anyways, cross-gender acting is nothing new. Heck, Shakespeare used MEN to act out female characters. Until we see the actual product, I'm going to expect little if any "fanservice" that the Ken Akamatsu manga depicts.

Right, and Noh and Kabuki also used MEN to act out female characters, and Kabuki also used WOMEN to act out male characters. That's the key there--like the Negima anime but unlike the Negima drama, we didn't have both gender roles in those performances being played by two teenaged actresses playing off each other. It's hardly a sign of a good or bad, but it is worth noting. If this results in a less faithful adaptation (for better or worse), that's also worth noting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1