• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Asterisk War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
Other than Ayato fighting Toudou the second time, the fights in this aren't that amazing. Not to say they're bad, but I wouldn't recommend it just for that. Rakudai actually has noticeably better done fights on average imo. I mean I think the visuals are cleaner / sharper (not really sure the word I'm looking for, but oh well) in this compared to Rakudai, but the fights themselves just aren't that spectacular.

Not that Rakudai is on par with One Punch, but if you're looking for something else this season, I'd recommend that over Asterisk.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Just when I think Asterisk and Rakudai are starting to diverge, they slam together back on the same path again. Tournament battles, check. Shower scene, check. Boob-grope jokes, check. Female color commentary pair, check. Alice seems to be the main difference between the two, and I still have to stop to remember which series she's in.

I think I like one of them better than the other, but I'm not sure which it is, because the instant the episode ends, it all becomes Rakudai Ki/shi Asterisk in my head. Or Gakusen To/shi no Cavalry.

Anyway, I'll stop commenting on these, since this is really all I ever have to say about them. Smile
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
^ At this point I think they are quite different. Rakudai is much more focused, straightforward and simple. It focuses on one thing at a time. Ikki and Stella building their relationship or Ikki has to beat another opponent. Rakudai is pretty formulaic, but it's a formula that works for me.

Asterisk is different. It has a lot more characters for one and a lot of them seem to have their own motives. There are the robots and their masters, there's the vampire and the president the vampire girl is working for, Claudia seems to have her own motives, there are the other presidents, there's the Saya's and Kirin's team and then there are Ayato and Julis. Since the focus is so divided the character development is nothing compared to Rakudai. Also the fights in Asterisk aren't as thrilling as they are in Rakudai.

So I'm enjoying Rakudai more.
zztop

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What, exactly, motivates (Claudia to hold on to her Ogre-Lux) so much that she is willing to put up with something that would break any normal human?

This is covered in Vol 9 of the source novels.

spoiler[It's Ayato, of course!! Wink

Basically, Ayato is the only person in her dreams who has never killed her. He always saves her.
Claudia was so moved by this, that she makes that one good dream her mental anchor to hold in to her Ogre-Lux.
All of Claudia's flirting and her other efforts, is for the sole purpose of getting closer to Ayato and making that one good dream a reality.]

Last edited by zztop on Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
If the above is a source material spoiler, it should be marked as such.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote
Ep 11 review wrote:
There they learn why Irene is beholden .. (she owes him a lot of money)

Maybe I missed something but if Irene always "pays her debts" how did she end up owing so much money?

Also, there seems to be a stipulation that she can't use her prize money to pay off the debt. So not only does she owe money but someone besides her controls her checking account. So why mess with this "debt" business and just call her a slave?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Ep 11 review wrote:
There they learn why Irene is beholden .. (she owes him a lot of money)

Maybe I missed something but if Irene always "pays her debts" how did she end up owing so much money?

Uh, you have to owe money in order to pay it off. We don't know what she needed the money for but she had to borrow a large amount for something.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I think Rakudai has better character building, but Asterisk has better world building and better story. I said this based on LN, not anime.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I wondered what had happened to this review. There's an image of Theron somewhere buried in wrapping paper.
Ep 12 review wrote:
Evaluated on its own, episode 12 offers a satisfying battle and a reasonable first-season stopping point, though it does not actually do anything spectacular.

I don't have much to add, except that I think it would have gotten 20% more points if they hadn't wimped out on the extraordinarily-well set up kiss scene.
chito895

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
(It's a relief that the "final" review wasn't forgotten Laughing)

^ I agree completely. I believe that the greatest enemy of this anime will always be its harem antics. I knew that right at the end something would ruin that little moment between Ayato and Julis. And what a way to ruin it.

But in my case, the second season will be part of my most anticipated anime of its respective anime season. (Spring, right?) I enjoyed this one more than I expected, and the animation and character moments that weren't ruined were very nice, so yeah, I'm waiting for the next part.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
The fight could have gone a little better, either more convincingly or should have been a tad shorter. In the end, since it was pretty obvious that spoiler[they were not going to go all the way to the finals] in one episode, I figured something was up. So with all that I was not surprised with how the first "season" of this show finished.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I'll say Asterisk was the most faithful to the pacing and structure of its source novels - no changes like the Rakudai anime! Watching the anime is exactly like reading the novel (barring some minor worldbuilding cuts and the Saya-Kirin pool episode).

The anime covered Vol 1-3, so most likely Season 2 will cover Vol 4-6 spoiler[and wrap up the remainder of the Phoenix Festa.]
Rensie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:58 am Reply with quote
[EDIT] Please, no Soap Boxing. Please feel free to discuss your particular issue here. Thank you. ~nobahn
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Is Theron going to continue these reviews into season 2? We have had two episodes so far.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Is Theron going to continue these reviews into season 2? We have had two episodes so far.

That will be determined by the poll. Ushio & Tora and Sailor Moon Crystal were automatically continued because their readership is pretty assured by past traffic/popularity. Asterisk War isn't that much of a sure bet, so whether we continue coverage or not will depend on both the poll results and Theron's interest in covering more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10