• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Capture the Flag [2015-12-14]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Is it me, or are a whole bunch of photos missing from that collection? The ones that are there show parts of several bookcases that aren't in any other photos.
Considering you have quite a few rare items there, I'd like to see all of them Anime smile
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Amazing import and nendoroid collection. Fifteen years worth of hard work is evident and lovingly displayed. I am super jealous! Mr. Green
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Gundam's western franchise equivalent is actually Star Trek rather than Star Wars. Both Trek and Gundam are TV series whose original installments were actually cancelled and deemed failures. But a dedicated fan following managed to revive them and they came back as a series of movies. And the rest is history.
navycherub

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Agree with every word of the Gaworare review. I had a surprising amount of fun with that show and how in love it is with its absurd premise. However, maybe it is too infatuated with that premise, because the last third or so became almost indescribably ridiculous and not fun. It kind of reminds me of all the second-half plot twists in Utawarerumono except it doesn't nail the landing like that show does.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and none of the fans can agree on anything

I vehemently disagree with you on this. We can all agree that Kamille need a good kick to the chin (you'll get it if you keep walking the gundam path).

And that collection, wow Shocked

Although there is one poster I wouldn't have the guts to put up. Laughing
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Quote:

I vehemently disagree with you on this.

HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUE

I think Chaika: Coffin Princess is actually half-off today from Rightstuf. Y'all should check it out! I'm watching the Bluray right now (i had it preordered), and it looks great. I haven't been watching the dub, unfortunately, so I can't judge it's quality, but Chaika is a show a liked quite a bit back when it was streaming.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Quote:

I vehemently disagree with you on this. We can all agree that Kamille need a good kick to the chin (you'll get it if you keep walking the gundam path).

Kamile is best! I dunno what you're talking about.

So it begins.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Is it me, or are a whole bunch of photos missing from that collection? The ones that are there show parts of several bookcases that aren't in any other photos.
Considering you have quite a few rare items there, I'd like to see all of them Anime smile

There are a lot more pictures of that collection. I've seen pictures on a Dutch anime forum that I occasionally lurk on and I seem to recall that he has the FMA tins as well and I don't see them pictured here. But damn, that collection is impressive. So so jealous.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
'O' !Such a collection! X3
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Beautiful collection!

And, ah, If Her Flag Breaks.
Quote:
I was honestly happier before the show started explaining itself

My thoughts on the series summed up in half a sentence. Interesting ideas along the way, explaining everything made the viewing painful...I honestly found it hard to watch the last couple of episodes.

And then the very end of the series comes along, ruining the entire experience for me.

I really thought I was going to end up loving If Her Flag Breaks, I really did...
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Awesome collection! Are those the Japanese volumes for K-on that I'm seeing there? Hard to tell. I was under the impression that they didn't have subtitles.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Large Magic Knight Rayearth calendar from the Nineties, Classic.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Good review of If her Flag Breaks.
Good Ideas, funnier and unexpected than expected, too condensed a plot, and goes bananas in the end. The best plot twist was the reveal that spoiler[Nanami was his sister, thus why the lack of any romantic progress was fine].

Bet you can't guess who my favourite girl in the show was.
spoiler[It was Megumu, Megumu was the best.]
Desslok

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
Despite being a life long anime fan, all the way back to Star Blazers in '79, somehow I never saw any Gundam. Oh sure, I know of the series, but I've never actually sat down and watched.

Just picked up the first set - yeah, I'm pretty impressed. Sure it's a bit rough in that late seventies/early eighties sort of way - but it's entertaining enough that I'm thinking of picking up more.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
One of my co-workers (in his 20s) only saw star wars this year! He said his family just never watched movies. Needless to say, we've given him a nice list to go through.

Quote:
If Her Flag Breaks feels the need to ground its story in some semblance of reality, and that's where things start to go off the rails. The high-tech, alternate virtual reality storyline is a bit of a mess, and it feels more like uninspired technobabble than a convincing plot twist. I was honestly happier before the show started explaining itself

Agreed! I was planning on picking up the show (and I love NISA's releases), until that awful ending. It really ruined the show for me. I didn't need or care about the details of his ability. All the extra nonsense that went with it didn't help either. It was just a neat thing he could do. I really hope this was an anime original thing to provide an ending and that the light novels stayed the course. I'll be happy if at least the original version didn't go off the deep end.

I didn't know (or forgot) that the cobra movie was coming to BD. I hope a review goes up for it. I have it on DVD, but haven't watched it yet (needed a break after steamrolling through the tv series). If it's a worthwhile upgrade, I'll just wait till I can get it on sale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2