• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2015

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Random 21 wrote:
Also Baby Steps as an honorable mention because I love that show but I couldn't fit it on the list, even though I love it. God that show is underrated.

I didn't know people other than me even watched Baby Steps, let alone enjoyed it.

Glad to meet another fan!

As for my top 5 of the year...

FSN: UBW, One Punch Man, Concrete Revolutio, and I'm torn between Rokka and Charlotte. Rokka had a more consistent story, but more animation mishaps while Charlotte had more consistent animation but its story was more scattershot.

I'll put Charlotte above Rokka for the incredible episodes of Yu reacting to spoiler[Ayumi's death].
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
As for my top 5 of the year...

FSN: UBW, One Punch Man, Concrete Revolutio, and I'm torn between Rokka and Charlotte. Rokka had a more consistent story, but more animation mishaps while Charlotte had more consistent animation but its story was more scattershot.

I'll put Charlotte above Rokka for the incredible episodes of Yu reacting to spoiler[Ayumi's death].

Judging you only have 5 there, I would't worry about which one to choose.

As to Unlimited Blade Works, I don't think any of the reviewers will have it on their list, especially its episode reviewer, considering their reviews.
Venus_Angel9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:

I didn't know people other than me even watched Baby Steps, let alone enjoyed it.

Glad to meet another fan!

Baby Steps is awesome! Love it.

Also, I found funny how Death Parade (another favorite of mine), wound up being number 4 on both lists. So fitting Anime hyper
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to go with Ushio & Tora, Overlord and Iron-Blooded Orphans (also has the best ending theme of 2015 for me) as being my top anime this year. And regardless of the hate it gets spewed with, God Eater is also up there for me. I don't really have a fifth since I wasn't able to even start watching everything I wanted to (Durarara x2 and Blood Blockade are both on my want to watch lists currently).
chito895

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
My main reason why I wouldn't put OPM in my top 5 is the right opposite of why Mike loves it: the comedy. It started out great! I couldn't stop laughing at Saitama not caring about anything. But then it became repetitive, and repetitive, and damn it got very boring to the point I almost dropped the series (fortunately I didn't, Mumen Raider is love!)

I also find very nice that My Love Story is getting recognition. It's in my personal Top 10 and I enjoyed every single second of the show!

As for my own Top 5, it goes like this:

5. Food Wars, because of Megumi and the foodgasms

4. Maria the Virgin Witch, because of the strong lead and all the religious stuff it threw to my face

3. Death Parade, because of being amazing at storytelling and making me dance every time the OP started sounding

2. Owarimonogatari, because this has been one of the best Monogatari, the Sodachi arc was absolutely amazing, and because Ougi Oshino has become my second favorite character of the entire series.

1. Rokka, Rokka, Rokka, Rokka!! I absolutely loved the series and was the only one after Your Lie in April that I was eager to watch every week. Hopefully the LN makes it to the west and PonyCan stops its bullshit so I can buy anything from that show.

My honorable mentions go to Saekano (the show was great until that last arc, when the cousin was introduced), School Live (that first episode, though), Shimoneta (the comedy was top notch and Anna senpai made my Summer season), My Love Story!! (Rinko and Takeo are lovely and Suna is best boy of 2015), and Sound (one of KyoAni's best works, and Kumiko x Reina).

Sadly, Shirobako and Your Lie in April won't make the cut, but those deserve all the honors!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
People shocked to see so much Death Parade: brace yourself, it was well-loved by the critics AND in the big poll. You'll be seeing a lot of it this week.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
People shocked to see so much Death Parade: brace yourself, it was well-loved by the critics AND in the big poll. You'll be seeing a lot of it this week.

It was one of those shows that I honestly thought everyone had forgotten about. Outside of you on the ANNCast, I rarely heard anyone talk about it. Especially once Food Wars and One Punch Man came around.
MikeNeko San

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Death Parade had a transparent bias against women. I started running a count by gender of who goes into which elevator at then end of each episode, and the results were really dispiriting. In the end it was too much of a distraction for me to enjoy the series. I will concede that the OP was really inspired.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Surprised to see My Love Story!! get some love here; I did enjoy that show quite a bit Smile Equally surprised to not see any love for Blood Battlefront Blockade; that seemed like an instant classic to me.

But over the next week, I hope to have a single question answered - WHERE JOJO?!?!

MLS!! was consistently one of the top-rated shows in reader polls, so I'll be very surprised if it doesn't get a lot more love. And I expect that BBB, at least, will have some appearances before the 11 lists are complete.

Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Surprising variety already. I expected mostly just to see Fate/Stay Night, Sound Euphonium and Owarimonogatari and that sort of stuff.

SE I think you'll probably see a lot more of, as it was pretty widely-respected. Owarimonogatari? Maybe not so much because I don't think many of the staff are current on that franchise. And I'll be very surprised if F/SN has much of an appearance, as quite a few people (me included) were unhappy with how badly the second half dragged out.

Anyway, I am keeping a tally and will post it at the end of the week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Equitum

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like Death Parade all that much, actually; I found the episodic nature of the show caused even it's intriguing premise to become dull and repetitive, and the characters were rather bland and unmemorable. Hibike! Euphonium, on the other hand, I absolutely loved. I'm very glad it's getting the recognition it deserves (and the sales - yay second season!)

As for the other shows I watched this year, I liked Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku and Akatsuki no Yona (ended in 2015), and am currently enjoying Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans and Haikyuu!! Second Season.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:09 pm Reply with quote
My top 5 go something like:

5. Durarara!!! X2 Ten: This arc of Durarara had a lot of what I enjoyed about the first two seasons and very little of what I disliked. I'd say this is the only part of it where it came close to (if not topped) Baccano.

4. Fate/Stay Night UBW: I didn't mind the pacing for the
spoiler[Archer fight] as much as everyone else and I really enjoyed Shirou and Archer's characters. It didn't live up to expectations, but I honestly don't think anything could have after all the hype it got. The fights and animation were also amazing, as usual.

3. Death Parade: Not the type of show I normally watch, but it sounded interesting and got good reviews so I gave it a try and I'm really glad I did. The worldbuilding wasn't as strong as it could have been (still hoping for more) but the strong characters and individual episodes more than made up for it. It also had one of the catchiest (and most atonal) opening I've ever heard.

2. One Punch Man: Unlike most people, I hadn't heard much about it until it came out, but I'm glad I picked it up. Good action and comedy throughout with plenty of likeable characters and top-tier animation makes it a lot of fun to watch. I'm actually surprised it turned out this good since the premise initially sounded like it could get stale, but it hasn't yet.

1. Noragami Aragoto: When I watched the first season, I enjoyed it but didn't think it was too special. This season topped it in one episode. The story, characters and action are all way better than season one and right now, I'm hoping for another season once this ends.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Praise the lorda!
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Excellent. It's my favorite show of the year.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I've hardly watched any seasonal anime this year, so I actually can't put together a top 5 favorites. Laughing

However, I did actually enjoy Punchline for being a highly enjoyable Uchikoshi anime full of unexpected plot twists, even if it wasn't completely bat**** insane like I usually come to expect his works to be. Quite a bit more tame than, for example, Zero Escape, but still satisfying.

Rokka is woefully incomplete, not just in terms of it's characters, but it's overarching narrative as well. As someone who's nearly caught up on the novels, the ending of the anime isn't nearly as bad in hindsight, but I can understand the frustration. The production was horribly inconsistent as well. Still, the mystery it presented was enjoyable, Adlet made for a unconventional hero, and some of the other characters were fun as well. Especially Hans. He's pure.

Even if I hadn't read the manga, I'd still probably be calling Tokyo Ghoul Root A a horrible disappoint, not just because of the show itself, but also the underhanded garbage that went on behind the scenes. At least the OST was nice.

I never finished Death Parade, but I remember getting a lot out of that as well. Don't get me started on that OP. Very Happy
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:27 am Reply with quote
The only thing I could say I "fell in love with" this year was Anthem of the Heart, and that's a movie, not a show. Monthly Girls' Nozaki-Kun was probably the one I enjoyed the most, as basically the only mostly-comedy anime I've ever really liked, and a nice meta-introduction to shoujo. My Love Story was pretty good, but I didn't like it as much, mainly because Yamato felt too stereotypically flat and ineffective too much of the time; Takeo is a comedic exaggeration but Yamato is pretty much a straight girly-girl.

One Punch Man is good, but since I react in largely the same way as Saitama to anything in the "Epic Lavishly Animated Anime Battles: The Anime" genre, it sort of ends up being a parody that's limited by the nature of the thing it's parodying. Kinda like how parody MMOs are still MMOs, so they still get boring and repetitive and grindy a lot of the time. I had the same issue with School-Live, which is good and all, but... spoiler[zombies? How are zombies still a thing? That hasn't gotten boring for anyone yet?]

Death Parade seemed like boilerplate "everyone's a selfish asshole" cynicism from the one episode I watched. Going by the reviews, there's a bit more to it than that later on; but it was praised like crazy from the first episode, which I can't understand at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 22