• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voice Actress Miyu Matsuki Passed Away Due to Epstein–Barr Virus, Lymphoma

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Makes sense now. The Pneumonia thing didn't sound right.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Dear God. I hope the family is getting the support they need.
Rensie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:58 am Reply with quote
Ohhh, very sad, really liked his Anna role in Shimoneta. Neutral
Dorali

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:00 am Reply with quote
EBV is, as noted above, very common, which can be contracted from kissing, sharing food, etc.. It's nothing to be particularly fearful of, as it is usually dormant. The most common form of active EBV is mononucleosis (aka mono, the kissing disease), which is temporary, There's no cure for it, as it's a chronic virus, and most will never know that they ever contracted it.

Despite the article's title, I just feel that it's important that people don't freak out about EBV however. It's not usually dangerous whatsoever and, as someone already mentioned, over 90% of adults have been infected. It's very similar to having the flu, except EBV is chronic and usually dormant -- The flu can't be cured with medication and can kill people in rare cases.

But enough of the PSA; this poor girl passed from a lymphoma (probably a Hodgkin type), which is made more likely to develop if you have EBV. A very unfortunate event. It's really a tragedy when trivial events escalate into something that takes a person's life.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:25 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

MG, you might want to check out what the virus is on Wiki, if you're really that interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epstein–Barr_virus

Quote:
Infection with EBV occurs by the oral transfer of saliva and genital secretions.

Most people become infected with EBV and gain adaptive immunity. In the United States, about half of all five-year-old children and about 90 percent of adults have evidence of previous infection.

Comforting.

Really sad to hear that this seiyuu passed away from something like this.

So she got the bad end of mono. RIP
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:34 am Reply with quote
Wow. Sad Sad Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2