• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Team's Kōtetsujō no Kabaneri Anime Trailers Reveal Premise, April Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ikoma, a young steam smith who make a living in Aragane Station making iron and steam engines. He and his good friend Takumi developed a weapon called "Tsuranuki Zutsu" in order to defeat the Kabane. Everyone makes light of him now, but he looks forward to a day when he will be triumphant.

Why would you make fun of the guy who designs weapons to defeat your nigh unstoppable steel-heart enemies? In a post-apoctalyptic world, the weaponsmiths would be high up on the echelon of society. Shit, any machine smith would be pretty well respected in a steampunk society.

When your toilet goes up, you don't shortchange your plumber, you Goddamn well respect'em.
The Hansond Jaysond Lee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
This look nice actually.
But, cant they just announce SnK season 2 already?
It's almost 3 year.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow... thought it was a Season 2 premiere date and trailer announcement for Attack on Titan. Gave me a heart attack. Sad Oh well.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Looks like it should be entertaining. Plus we need more steampunk.

Yeah, we really do.

Gorgeous visuals (and music) in the trailer too.

Edit: Ah, Mikimoto is doing the designs, no wonder there's some modern + nostalgia there. Nice.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
CaRoss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
This is quite possibly the closest that we're going to get to an animated version of the Before the Fall SnK novel anytime soon. And that's exciting.

The protagonist being a mechanic is going to provide a nice change of pace for this series, and I'm eager to find out more about this steampunk setting. Also those train designs are stunningly gorgeous. I hope that all the mechanical designs in the series are like this. I'd be so totally sold on it by those alone.

Also, getting Sawano on board for this one is interesting. His recent work with Seven Deadly Sins was a nice return to form from him (Aldnoah, while good, wasn't the greatness that I have come to expect from him, same with Kill la Kill's) and so I hope that this continues that trend.

Kikaioh wrote:
Wow, those are really old-school looking character designs. Combine that with Studio Wit, and it's definitely something I'd look forward to.

The old school character designs are making a glorious comeback. If there's anything that Parasyte, Actually I am, and Ushio & Tora have brought for anime this year, it's the fact that older anime character designs are still viable! I too am looking forward to what they're going to do with it!
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Plot Twist: this will actually be a story that predates AOT and shows the fall of mankind and how those few survived long enough to establish the wall...food for tought.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
HOLY GODDAYUUUM! THE HYPE IS REAL with this one.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
noitaminA continues to mainstreamize...

Doesn't look too bad, but not like something special either. Action-focused, dark, dramatic with you typical serious shounen cast. Might be fun.

Hope Sawano doesn't overdo it, and since many of his works sound very similar, I also hope he tries a different style. (Probably won't happen.) The trailer music sounds good, but generic.

I'll probably watch this.

It's probably just going to be a whole lot of vocalized tracks that drown out the scene they're in again and Sawano hasn't had very much new or even enjoyable material since he made the switch to emphasizing that sort of thing. His music is kind of empty to me at this point and all it seems to do is attract the crowd that just doesn't seem to pay attention or care about variety or frankly music much and just echoes how hype it is over and over again. I honestly got tired of his style quite a while ago with Kill la Kill and it's tendency to just play the same vocalized leitmotifs over and over again every time the character it's tied to appears on scene to the point where it got rote and annoying. It's like okay great Ryuko's in the scene, now they'll cue up her song, and now Ragyo so we'll get her muddled German lyrics song like clockwork. It's just not exciting for me at all anymore and baffles me how it continues to be so much so for many others, I just want to see somebody else besides him and Kajiura get a shot at the next big action blockbuster looking anime for a change again.

Not really looking forward to this and yet strangely for the first time with an 2016 anime project I at least feel like checking out an episode or two because fudge at least it's an original and looks kind of like it has a budget but it'd really depend on how tolerable the soundtrack manages to be if I'd even consider going any further. That said about the only thing that really looks appealing and where I don't see much of a potential strong downside are Haruhiko Mikimoto's designs. Guy is still amazing and top class even after all these years, it's cool to see him and Yasuhiko Yoshikazu getting back into the anime but a shame that Mikimoto's efforts are probably going to be wasted on some big dumb hype project by lazy frankly overrated staffers with a clusterfuck of a story and nonsensical characterization and probably bad music...maybe generic if we're lucky.

Last edited by Alabaster Spectrum on Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
CeaseActivity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I like the character designs but I'm not quite as head over heels for them as you guys seem to be. There are no bobblehead girls (good!!), they're all easily distinguished (nice!), and the girls' faces are giving me some real nostalgia from back when I loved Ah! My Goddess. Even their hair looks nice. But who thought armpit-flashing puff sleeves were a good idea? And the difference in color scheme between the girls and the guys is almost grating - they look like they're from different anime.
nemuyoake

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Characters' lines are nearly the same as AoT... Laughing
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:

It's probably just going to be a whole lot of vocalized tracks that drown out the scene they're in again and Sawano hasn't had very much new or even enjoyable material since he made the switch to emphasizing that sort of thing. His music is kind of empty to me at this point and all it seems to do is attract the crowd that just doesn't seem to pay attention or care about variety or frankly music much and just echoes how hype it is over and over again. I honestly got tired of his style quite a while ago with Kill la Kill and it's tendency to just play the same vocalized leitmotifs over and over again every time the character it's tied to appears on scene to the point where it got rote and annoying. It's like okay great Ryuko's in the scene, now they'll cue up her song, and now Ragyo so we'll get her muddled German lyrics song like clockwork. It's just not exciting for me at all anymore and baffles me how it continues to be so much so for many others, I just want to see somebody else besides him and Kajiura get a shot at the next big action blockbuster looking anime for a change again.

Not really looking forward to this and yet strangely for the first time with an 2016 anime project I at least feel like checking out an episode or two because fudge at least it's an original and looks kind of like it has a budget but it'd really depend on how tolerable the soundtrack manages to be if I'd even consider going any further. That said about the only thing that really looks appealing and where I don't see much of a potential strong downside are Haruhiko Mikimoto's designs. Guy is still amazing and top class even after all these years, it's cool to see him and Yasuhiko Yoshikazu getting back into the anime but a shame that Mikimoto's efforts are probably going to be wasted on some big dumb hype project by lazy frankly overrated staffers with a clusterfuck of a story and nonsensical characterization and probably bad music...maybe generic if we're lucky.

Wow. 2 Trailers into the show (about 3 minutes worth of content, likely unchronological), and we already have a hater. Such is life in anything slightly hyped. Wonder what the other +-286, or maybe even 572 minutes are going to be like?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Random 21 wrote:
Thank God we're finally getting the Attack on Titan/Rail Wars crossover we were all clamouring for. About time.

Except Rail Wars! was a happier-looking series. I will for sure watch if more promos reveal some nice fan service moments to lighten the dark setting.
Mature-Kun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Anime will be saved in 2016.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap look at this!!
Does anyone catch and old school vibe the likes of like those old 90's animated films?

Suddenly I was thinking of Mikimoto or Robot Carnival.

Last edited by Chrno2 on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:16 pm Reply with quote
nemuyoake wrote:
Characters' lines are nearly the same as AoT... Laughing

You mean the character voices? The Ara-Sawa team is never complete without the maddening voice of Yuki Kaji. These guys literally work together every time when they are trying to make an anime that is going to be hyped to the heaven.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4