• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Durarara!! x 2 Blu-Ray 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
DRRR!! x2 Shou's main problem was that it was completely ambitionless, in my opinion. It didn't try changing one or another order of event to maximize impact, it felt like it was done by literally just reading the light novel at a studio. And I do mean that literally, some character narration usually used in the novel to describe a situation or an emotion is just read, instead of shown in some form or another.

Physical release-wise, though, the animation was still pretty bad, but they at least improved this God-forsaken thing, right? I remember this episode in particular being so awful even Narita apologized on Twitter, or something to that effect.

Also, that OVA is pretty good, in a "slice-of-life with these characters you love" way. It's understandable why Izaya was so jealous of the hotpot party now.
Random 21

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
That reveal of Mikado right at the end is probably one of my favorite moments in the series, even in the limpest season of the show. But hey, at least now Shou's out the way, the Blu-Rays can start on The Second Arc, which I still stand makes up for it and then some.

Also yes, that Hot Pot OVA is amazing. If they ever made an actual show called Durarara Babies I would watch the hell out of it.

killjoy_the wrote:
Physical release-wise, though, the animation was still pretty bad, but they at least improved this God-forsaken thing, right?

That honestly looks like a scene from Ninja Slayer, like seriously.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There are no detailed production credits for the Dub, but the difference in performance quality is so immediate and drastic that it's probable a different ADR director took over for the show's last quarter.

Alex Von David is the new ADR Director, so he might've taken over for this half of the season and no one said anything.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

Physical release-wise, though, the animation was still pretty bad, but they at least improved this God-forsaken thing, right? I remember this episode in particular being so awful even Narita apologized on Twitter, or something to that effect.

Also, that OVA is pretty good, in a "slice-of-life with these characters you love" way. It's understandable why Izaya was so jealous of the hotpot party now.

Oh God I forgot all about that bit, it's moments like these that somewhat make me look back at Kill la Kill and say "You know, you weren't all THAT bad visually."

Glad to hear the Hotpot party is worth something and with a solid dub . I haven't seen it yet but I'll try to get to it at some point.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
This is the season where when characters are introduce you just get a narrated slide-show where someone describe there life and why exactly there important to the plot, right? Yeah, not a fan...
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Quote:
There are no detailed production credits for the Dub, but the difference in performance quality is so immediate and drastic that it's probable a different ADR director took over for the show's last quarter.

Alex Von David is the new ADR Director, so he might've taken over for this half of the season and no one said anything.

Actually according to AoA's own DRRR site, Kirk Thorton and Patrick Seitz are listed as the ADR Directors for that season so presumably the latter took over at some point, and it certainly shows.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:16 am Reply with quote
Despite Aniplex's controversial pricing and decision to release them as singles, I will commend Aniplex on doing something unique.I think this is the first show to have an entire English dub released on DVD/BD released the same year as Japan.
shuusei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:

Do you know if there's any other improved-on scenes? Or comparison shots anywhere. Just curious to see if there's enough improvements/extra scenes to make it worth the buy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1