• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Team's Kōtetsujō no Kabaneri Anime Trailers Reveal Premise, April Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:

To be fair though, the only thing that this show seems to have stolen from AoT is the concept of human trapped in a cage-like world surrounded by zombies. The protagonist is similar to AoT protagonist in terms of their hot-headness, and the show will be focusing on action and human being's fear of extinction. These are the only similarities I see at this point. I don't think the rest of the show will be anything similar to AoT, in fact it might be more similar to Code Geass than AoT because of the writer. I think there is still hope that this show will be something new and fresh.

No matter how much anyone's going to say this, people won't listen. They'll think it's an AoT ripoff regardless of how the story winds up in the end.

But I'm also going to keep my eye out for differences, rather than nitpicking the similarities.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:01 am Reply with quote
Looks interesting I'll be sure to check out the first episode when it premieres. On a side note I'm 99% sure that Funimation will be picking up this show for their spring simulcast they pick up just about everything from studio wit ever since Attack on Titan not to mention that Funimation will most likely simudub it. Wink
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:27 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this trailer looks an awful lot like Attack on Titan, but at least it looks pretty awesome. I'm not a huge Sawano fan (like someone said, he's kinda like the Zimmer of anime: good composer, but his works tends to blend together quickly or, at least for me, aren't very memorable) but the animation looks amazing, and those character designs are very nice (one of the girls reminds me of Sakura Wars). Plus it's a steam punk anime by the director of HOTD. I'm a bit wary of noitamina lately since almost everything there now seems to be Aniplex produced but the fact that this isn't listed on their website gives me hope.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:28 am Reply with quote
I guess I'm a little surprised that people immediately compared this to Attack on Titan. TBH, I think a lot of Western mainstream fans were able to identify with Attack on Titan because it was basically a twist on the whole "bunker against zombie hordes" idea that's been popular since Night of the Living Dead released back in the late 1960's (which is why I think a lot of press billed it as Japan's "Walking Dead"). So for me, being a big horror movie fan, seeing this trailer for Kabaneri just made me think it was another twist on the zombie genre, I honestly didn't even think about Attack on Titan until I saw it was made by Studio Wit.

keichitsu0305 wrote:
Just what you would expect from the man who did the designs for Gunbuster and SDF Macross. I know some people can't stand 80s/90s (ish) designs but I love how each character has a distinguishable face and "smaller" eyes. Yukina and Sukari, in particular, look robust and quite attractive.

I didn't realize it was from the same designer for Gunbuster and Macross, thanks for pointing that out, maybe that explains why the style seemed so familiar. Another reason to look forward to this, I hope it turns out to be good.
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Loved Mikimoto's designs and the steampunk setting. Will watch.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I guess I'm a little surprised that people immediately compared this to Attack on Titan. TBH, I think a lot of Western mainstream fans were able to identify with Attack on Titan because it was basically a twist on the whole "bunker against zombie hordes" idea that's been popular since Night of the Living Dead released back in the late 1960's (which is why I think a lot of press billed it as Japan's "Walking Dead"). So for me, being a big horror movie fan, seeing this trailer for Kabaneri just made me think it was another twist on the zombie genre, I honestly didn't even think about Attack on Titan until I saw it was made by Studio Wit.

NEWS: Attack on Titan Team's Kōtetsujō no Kabaneri Anime Trailers Reveal Premise, April Premiere << The first time I encountered this show, was when I opened ANN and stumbled on this title. Hard to get AoT out of your mind when that happens. Razz

And then you play the video and the first 10 seconds show very titan-like creatures doing their zombie march in a scene that looks almost identical to several from AoT. AND THEN a few seconds later you are treated to Sawano's very reminiscent "sawano drop", which, after being combined with that title, premise, and everything else, pretty much makes it impossible to separate AoT from this.
I'm excited for this, to be honest. It looks badass as hell, but I don't see how someone can see this and not instantly wonder if it's somehow related.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
@relyat08: Ahh I see, actually when I visit ANN I tend to open a bunch of articles in separate tabs and then skim over to start reading, I must have forgotten the title of the article by the time I got to the tab and just jumped to watching the video. I wonder how people would have interpreted it if that hadn't been in the article title, considering the character designs are quite a bit ways different stylistically from Attack on Titan. Personally the only thing that would have tipped me off as to any connection between the two series would have been the production values.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I think this is the first time that I've seen Mikimoto work on an anime title in years! At least now I know why his Macross the First manga has been delayed for several months.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:39 am Reply with quote
Steampunk, zombies, and Mikimoto(!) designs, looking forward to this.

AwaysAnnoyed wrote:
No matter how much anyone's going to say this, people won't listen. They'll think it's an AoT ripoff regardless of how the story winds up in the end.

Yep. Even if this show turns out good, some people will never be able to look past "AoT ripoff".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4