• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Way to Watch Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwdone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
I hate to be really stupid in this forum, but here goes: Other than some very wild figures I've purchased from the JoJo's series, the only anime part I have is the Warner Bro. release on DVD called "The Complete First Season". I enjoyed it enough to want to keep watching and get to the part of the series that features some of these strange, but unique figures I have (Spice Girl & Stone Free Stands). Is there more Jojo's anime sub or dub out there that I'm missing? I see where WB is releasing what I think is a "season 2" & "season 3", but I'm not seeing it even mentioned at some of my favorite anime shops for current or future releases. I'm seeing things in this article on "How to Watch JoJo's..." mention things like "Stardust Crusaders" , but the article doesn't mention if it's on DVD, stream, upcoming release, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated on the platforms currently available for as much that is out there on JOJO's.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
Jojo is definitely best watched in order, in large part because the sense of generational progression is something unique to the series that very few anime have pulled off. It's also fun to see that universe -- and Araki's writing style -- evolve over time, The fact that each arc feels a little different, but they all stand together as a whole, is also something you miss if you go skipping around.

Johnathan's arc is the weakest, but it's by no means bad, and with only nine episodes, it avoids being drawn out or sloggy.

This writer seems to be a bit down on Stardust Crusaders, and I don't agree on all his points (the battles definitely get tougher as the series goes on, and you begin to notice the heroes enduring much more lasting injuries as they get near the end) it's true that Stardust is a bit longer than it needs to be. But its pacing problems pretty much vanish once you hit the halfway point, as Araki starts really diversifying the abilities of each new enemy and making each battle really unique. In fact, probably the best reason to watch Jojo from the beginning is for changes like that: Araki is constantly improving his writing style and refuses to get stuck in ruts. Just when you start to get annoyed with a particular trope or flaw in his work, he takes steps to fix it, and the result is a story that feels like it's constantly growing (and also constantly insane.)
Barbobot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
gwdone wrote:
I hate to be really stupid in this forum, but here goes: Other than some very wild figures I've purchased from the JoJo's series, the only anime part I have is the Warner Bro. release on DVD called "The Complete First Season". I enjoyed it enough to want to keep watching and get to the part of the series that features some of these strange, but unique figures I have (Spice Girl & Stone Free Stands). Is there more Jojo's anime sub or dub out there that I'm missing? I see where WB is releasing what I think is a "season 2" & "season 3", but I'm not seeing it even mentioned at some of my favorite anime shops for current or future releases. I'm seeing things in this article on "How to Watch JoJo's..." mention things like "Stardust Crusaders" , but the article doesn't mention if it's on DVD, stream, upcoming release, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated on the platforms currently available for as much that is out there on JOJO's.

Here's the link the crunchyroll's page for JoJo's. http://www.crunchyroll.com/jojos-bizarre-adventure

That has all of the new JoJo anime that has come out, excluding the dub for the first season. The new Stardust Crusaders anime does not have an english language DVD release yet.
gwdone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
gwdone wrote:

Here's the link the crunchyroll's page for JoJo's. http://www.crunchyroll.com/jojos-bizarre-adventure

That has all of the new JoJo anime that has come out, excluding the dub for the first season. The new Stardust Crusaders anime does not have an english language DVD release yet.

Thank you VERY much Barbobot for the information. I'll for sure follow up!
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
PS: I hate the DVD subs too. My biggest gripe is that they don't even have the common courtesy to sub the OP themes.

They actually did for one of the Part 2 episodes (episode 18) but they horribly botched it by using Part 1's song lyrics. Laughing
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
You can skip Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency, but it's a bad idea because you're missing out, definitely. But this article kind of excessively carries on about Stardust Crusaders' flaws. If you feel like you have to take Stardust Crusaders down a notch in order to make Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency look good, you're doing the opposite. Also the pro wrestling comparison was a very poor one.

Look, Battle Tendency is my favorite arc, but this post does a very bad job of selling it and Phantom Blood.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Here's some concise advice:

OH MY GOD, you better not skip Joseph's (part 2) tale! Surprised
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I NEVER agreed with those who said that the first two stories were skippable. I guess its because Stardust Crusaders was the part that a lot of people began with. I began with it when there was the OVA, but now that I've seen all of it, I think it's all worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Did you start watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure with Phantom Blood, or did you skip to Stardust Crusaders? Did you go back and watch the first two seasons? How did they compare, in your estimation? Let us know in the comments!

1. Phantom Blood.

2. Yes. I rewatched all the Parts when I finished.

3. Too different to objectively compare, though I think that the Egypt arc of Stardust Crusaders was the best, but if you want me to compare both seasons as a whole... Part 2 was overall the best part. Maybe I'll change my mind when I get to see the uncensored fights with Vanilla Ice and Dio.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:31 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The best way to watch JoJo is still to read it despite the quality of the adaptation.
This guy gets it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:32 am Reply with quote
Ok, now that I'm all caught up, I have one question: spoiler[it looked to me like Erina escaped the ship with Elizabeth in Dio's coffin. So how did he end up in it at the bottom of the sea?]
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:36 am Reply with quote
gwdone wrote:
Barbobot wrote:
gwdone wrote:

Thank you VERY much Barbobot for the information. I'll for sure follow up!
I'd also like to add on that, in the case of Spice Girl, she doesn't appear until Part 5 ("Vento Aureo," or "Golden Wind.") That is a part that won't be getting an anime adaptation for a while, and so, I would encourage you to seek out the manga and read it as well! It's quite good, and if you would like to read it legally, JoJo volumes are coming out at an amazing frequency on Kindle, and I would honestly speculate that Vento Aureo might be able to legally read in the next year or two!

Happy watching and reading! JoJo is one of the wildest series out there, despite the occasional rough patches.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:46 am Reply with quote
gwdone wrote:
I hate to be really stupid in this forum [...].

Just to clarify: There is no such thing as a stupid question.
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:34 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ok, now that I'm all caught up, I have one question: spoiler[it looked to me like Erina escaped the ship with Elizabeth in Dio's coffin. So how did he end up in it at the bottom of the sea?]

spoiler[

1) It's possible Erina might've escaped using Wang Chen's (Wang Chung?) coffin instead of Dio's.

2) Araki simply forgot lol.]
Krey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I started watching Jojo right from the beginning at Phantom Blood, and I got into it right away. After Stardust Crusaders was when I read the manga, which I'm now caught up on.

Honestly, if you like the kind of ridiculousness that JJBA has to offer, you'll probably like the first 2 arcs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4