• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 84% of Japanese College Students Have Never Read Dragon Ball

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I think that 16% have read it is a more impressive number.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
What are they even teaching in colleges these days?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I have absolutely no experience or nostalgia for anything related to Dragon Ball. Guess it just has to do with the fact that it was never part of my childhood. It just seems to huge of a franchise for me to get into now at this point. That's the problem with many long-running Japanese franchises.

Lupin III is basically the one long-running franchise I'm into. I've started Rurouni Kenshin and Macross as well, but at least those are relatively managable compared to something like Dragon Ball or Naruto.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
More like 84% claim they have never read it.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Well just because an Anime is big, doesn't mean the Manga will be as well, and vice verse.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Well the series was a huge part of MY childhood, at least DBZ was. Though it was mostly through the anime, not the manga, but I collected that too.
bigivel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Well just because an Anime is big, doesn't mean the Manga will be as well, and vice verse.

Though Dragon Ball is both! Dragon Ball is still today the 3rd most sold manga series ever.

The thing is that is way old. Is obvious by the current sales, that don't appear in anywhere, that people isn't buying Dragon Ball anymore, at least not in a significantly manner.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Considering the pool of participants, these results are rather dismissable. 84% sure sounds like a lot, but when you're asking only 400 people it's a rather useless statistic. I don't think that amount is even 1% of the Japanese college population
Lulcielid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Considering the pool of participants, these results are rather dismissable. 84% sure sounds like a lot, but when you're asking only 400 people it's a rather useless statistic. I don't think that amount is even 1% of the Japanese college population

My thoughts exactly, the sample used for this analysis is incredible low. Moreover, this poll doesn´t seen to have been done in other regions of JP, which again, it brings us back to the low sample used.
Araki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Yeah, the title of the news was really misleading.

Also based on this simple poll of 400 people, Lyzee goes on to claim Dragon Ball isn't that big anymore. Well, check out Toei/Bandai last financial reports, and the last movie box office, and come back again..
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Man all these people trying to say Dragon Ball ain't got it no more but all their favorite series don't even make the top 10 ratings. Must be nice having your head in the sand all the time.
KilluaX3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
More like 84% claim they have never read it.

Why would they do that?
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't find this surprising.
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I don't think that amount is even 1% of the Japanese college population
This seems to be a very common misconspection of how sample sizes work.

Briefly, if the statistical population is large is compared to the sample size, it is not usually a problem at all to statistics. In the many simple cases, like a series of coin flips, the statistical population is actually infinite (you can flip a theoretical coin infinitely many times), but you can still infer about the fairness of the coin with a finite amount of flips, e.g. much less than 400 flips.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
Lyzee goes on to claim Dragon Ball isn't that big anymore. Well, check out Toei/Bandai last financial reports, and the last movie box office, and come back again..

I made no such claim. The only claims made is that younger generations aren't interested in Dragon Ball (i.e. it' s no longer a 'gateway' anime) and apparently the older generation didn't pass the series on to their kids.

Obviously the show is still big, just not with the college-age demographic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4